jkirkebo
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 007344

Re: Leaf regen vs Prius regen

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:39 am

evnow wrote:Sorry guys. I still don't get it.

Leaf does have variable regen. You regen more by pressing the brake harder. What we don't have is the ability to change the amount of regen for a particular amount of brake press.

So, is the ask that Leaf should regen more for a given amount of brake press ?
Personally, I do not want an regen on the brake pedal at all, while in ECO mode. I'd be very much happier if I could get full regen on accelerator pedal lift.

This is how Tesla does it. I look forward to my Model S being delivered next summer ;)

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 am

jkirkebo wrote:

Leaf does have variable regen. You regen more by pressing the brake harder. What we don't have is the ability to change the amount of regen for a particular amount of brake press.

Personally, I do not want an regen on the brake pedal at all, while in ECO mode. I'd be very much happier if I could get full regen on accelerator pedal lift.

This is how Tesla does it. I look forward to my Model S being delivered next summer ;)
so would i, but that would be "too much unlike" a gas car.

what i really want to know is who thought we wanted our LEAF to be anything like our gas cars?
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 am

jkirkebo wrote:

I'd like to be able to choose how "wide" the glide band is on the accelerator pedal and how strong the regen is at foot off pedal.

There are times on flat ground or a slight down slope I want to glide as much as possible and it bugs me how touchy I have to feather the pedal.

There are times when I want more regen than foot off pedal currently gives.

I don't want more regen through the entire pedal travel, I just want more regen at the very end of travel and a wider dead spot between regen and applying power to the wheels.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

EVDRIVER

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:57 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
jkirkebo wrote:

so would i, but that would be "too much unlike" a gas car.

what i really want to know is who thought we wanted our LEAF to be anything like our gas cars?

NIssan, they admitted they went to great lengths to make it seem just like an ICE, so much so they took away some of the coolness of an EV. As a result quite a bit of regen is wasted to friction brakes which is very sad for an EV, if you drive in a hilly area or stop faster than a turtle or even like more spirited driving then significant regen is lost, this is a fact and a very sad one. In addition having the ability to have more off pedal regen can be a very cool driving experience. Another thing they went overboard on was the old fart 1970's EPS that feels like steering with a rubber band. Nissan has publicly admitted they did this intentionally and like so many other things they ignored from long time ev drivers they dumbed the car down to much. I'm sure it is perfect for the Japanese market and 1980 Cadillac drivers but sad for anyone that has driven a modern car with even decent steering.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:06 am

Nissan.

I, too, wish there was much more regen available from just the accelerator.
DaveinOlyWA wrote:what i really want to know is who thought we wanted our LEAF to be anything like our gas cars?
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

davewill

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 am

Guess I'm in the minority. I'd rather the accelerator had NO regen unless I put it in a "hill" mode. anything else is just trying to be a fake ICE to me. I like to glide and hate having to feather the "go" pedal to achieve it. If I want to slow down, I'll push the brake.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

DaveinOlyWA

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 am

davewill wrote:Guess I'm in the minority. I'd rather the accelerator had NO regen unless I put it in a "hill" mode. anything else is just trying to be a fake ICE to me. I like to glide and hate having to feather the "go" pedal to achieve it. If I want to slow down, I'll push the brake.
that would require too much button pushing. what is wrong with having all of it on a single pedal? as it stands now, i am constantly shifting from eco to neutral to drive to eco, etc. its a pain but i can verify that it does improve my performance.

problem is that is takes a lot of concentration and planning which is ok to a degree because that is the nature of hypermiling but I could do it in the Prius on just the accelerator for the most part because the benefits of shifting to neutral were not that great. in the LEAF however, the difference can be huge if done correctly
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davewill

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:...that would require too much button pushing. what is wrong with having all of it on a single pedal? as it stands now, i am constantly shifting from eco to neutral to drive to eco, etc. its a pain but i can verify that it does improve my performance. ...
Huh? Why would you shift to neutral if you want "it all on one pedal"? Just stay in ECO, feather the pedal, and be done with it.

DaveinOlyWA

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:57 pm

davewill wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:...that would require too much button pushing. what is wrong with having all of it on a single pedal? as it stands now, i am constantly shifting from eco to neutral to drive to eco, etc. its a pain but i can verify that it does improve my performance. ...
Huh? Why would you shift to neutral if you want "it all on one pedal"? Just stay in ECO, feather the pedal, and be done with it.
well mostly because unless you are 95+% SOC, "deadbanding" (driving when power meter says the motor is neither generating or consuming power) still has a significant drag on the vehicle. i can coast much farther and maintain my speed much better in neutral and no amount of pedal play will match that performance.

ask anyone who gets 7 miles/K they will tell ya how it works

davewill

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:well mostly because unless you are 95+% SOC, "deadbanding" (driving when power meter says the motor is neither generating or consuming power) still has a significant drag on the vehicle. i can coast much farther and maintain my speed much better in neutral and no amount of pedal play will match that performance.

ask anyone who gets 7 miles/K they will tell ya how it works
Then why do you want it all on one pedal? That was MY argument. I want to just let off the "GO" pedal and coast. Then hit the brake if I want to regen and slow down.

Return to “Engineering”