Parking, Charging, and Handicapped

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Apparently if there are any EV charging spaces, at least one has to be marked as a "Handicap" space.

Yes, even with only one EV space, it must have handicap access and markings.

So, does one have to be BOTH EV-charging AND display a handicap-plackard to use that spot?

There are 3 EV spaces at the Ontario, CA airport, one with the typical "handicap" markings.

OK, imagine charging in that slot without a handicap plackard and getting a ticket or being towed away!

If there is only one spot, is it ONLY for handicap use?

If EV OR handicap can use it, can a non-EV handicap park there?

If an EV parks there, must it be using the "charging"?

Can you park in the space next to the handicapped spot but then use your extension cord over to the plug and charge that way?

Gavin

garygid said:
Apparently if there are any EV charging spaces, at least one has to be marked as a "Handicap" space.

In the model code PSRC is coming up with one spot needs to be "accessible" i.e. it needs to be wide enough to be usable by someone with a disability - but is not reserved for such a person.

mwalsh said:
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective) my wife has a disabled placard because of her heart murmur. :idea:

Ok, I am not going to delve into you or your wife's business...but a heart murmur is just a sound...often normal...called an innocent heart murmur...common in kids, pregnant women...a heart murmur alone should not get anybody a disabled placard...

Now a murmur can be caused by less innocent things, but the murmur itself doesn't get a placard. Heck about 50% of kids 3 to 5 will have a murmur on physical exam.

But they do give out the placard for many reasons...a slightly to moderately overweight woman at my hospital got one for obesity...I told her, heck you should purposely park far away so you walk more...she didn't take my advice kindly.

That said, I hope your wife is well. The cause of murmurs are usually benign in children and even young adults...as we get older the cause of murmurs is less benign...this is just a pet peeve of mine...a murmur is a sound...a sound isn't the medical condition. The medical condition might warrant a disable placard, but a murmur itself never does.

Gah, hope I haven't pissed you off...not an attack at all on you...

i probably should just erase this...

Gavin

:(

The "first" spot at Ontario airport was marked in such a way that it "appeared" that one would need to display a plackard to be allowed to use that parking spot.

That, along with the "first-spot" requirement (apparently new), led me to start the topic.

In the future (coming soon, at least to areas near us), this will become an issue. Those without a plackard might not be able to use ANY only-one-parking-spot charging location!

I hope "they" get the rules figured out and the signage correct and easy to understand.

Just for some lightness:

I am not blind, and I cannot take my "seeing eye dog" into most places.

But, clearly she has eyes, and can see!

Oh well, back to my "see food" diet ... yep, see it, eat it! :)

Again, is it possible to park next to the spot and use the charger? That way a handicapped person can still use the spot, but a non-handicapped EV car could still charge.

A better thing would be to have a dual charger that sits on the line between two spots. One handicapped, one non-handicapped.

Gavin

Gavin said:
Gah, hope I haven't pissed you off...not an attack at all on you...

i probably should just erase this...

Gavin

:(

LOL! Don't worry. In her case her "sound" is a damaged valve. Primarily due to rheumatic fever as a kid. But now she's getting on a bit, and has had one heart attack already, we are trending towards being more cautious about it. My fault for not being specific.

My employer is looking into putting in charging stations and reserved parking for EV's. When I checked in to see what the status was, I was told that they are now discussing handicapped charging spaces.

I work in a federal building, so I'm thinking that addressing the handicapped parking issue is a little more than idle chit-chat. I'm thinking there are real regulations involved that must be satisfied.

Jimmydreams said:
I work in a federal building, so I'm thinking that addressing the handicapped parking issue is a little more than idle chit-chat. I'm thinking there are real regulations involved that must be satisfied.

In the PSRC meetings I listened into (see Seattle thread) - half the time was spent discussing accessible space minimums needed. Unfortunately they want 1 minimum for spaces with 1-50 charging areas !! Ecotality guy was saying - the businesses are totally against that since one accessible parking space occupies two normal parking spaces - which means loss of parking revenue for them. Apparently downtown buildings make a lot of money out of parking spaces and don't want that to be cut ...

There is some talk of "overlapping" handicap and EV parking.

One way, add EV-charging to one existing (already required) Handicap space, and possibly also add EV-charging to the regular parking spot (if any) next to it.

garygid said:
There is some talk of "overlapping" handicap and EV parking.

See mp3 recordings .

http://www.psrc.org/about/advisory/ev-comm/meeting-summaries/

Final guidelines.

http://www.psrc.org/assets/4332/EVI_append_B.pdf

Back