Urgent: Los Angeles Downtown-Nokia Center Parking garage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynor

Hi. Has anyone had a recent experience with the charging station in the garage at Olympic and Francisco St.? I'm going to a gig at the Club Nokia Sunday Jul 24 and supposedly there is a charger available that I would like to use. (I notice that in some locations there are problems indicated with the chargers) The official address of the parking structure is 900 W. Olympic.
Obviously I need a quick answer. thanks for your time.
Wayne

So ... to help you ... despite so little info ... I did this:

1. Google "Nokia Center Downtown LA"
2. Go to the site and get directions; seems to be around the Staples Center ( I have no idea what I am talking about ! Been to LA a few times ... but just passing thru )
3. Go to EVChargerNews, select LA area, zoom in around the area near where the Staples Center is ...

Found: http://www.evchargermaps.com/?SiteID=90015_1&Want=SPI%20LPI%20AVC%20OC&Zoom=17

Read the report made by another LEAF driver dated 5/7/2011. DON'T ASSUME that station will be available for you when you get there ... :|

Hope this helps :p

Legacy maps show Avcon chargers that are not LEAF compatible at:

Staples Center, Lot #3
1111 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, California 90015

As of January, they were removed during new construction.

There are two LEAF compatible chargers near parking area R18 at the Convention Center. These lots are only open when there is an event. Since there are only two, and hundreds of LEAFs and Volts in LA, you should have a back-up charge plan that includes an alternate charging location, and a timeline that allows sufficient time to charge.

Chargepoint shows 5 chargers at:

Name: BROOKFIELD WEST / 333 S HOPE EV2
Address: 333 S Hope St, Los Angeles, California 90071
Description: Enter parking structure, go to Level A, follow signs.
Status as of: 2011-07-23 14:27:47 (PDT)
Port 1: 208/240V, 30A, J1772:Available
Access: Unrestricted
Price: Free

And....Downtown LA Nissan has 2 AV L2 stations in their outside parking lot. They are near Staples at Washington and Figueroa. Station lot is on Washington Blvd.

So, we made a trek tonight from Irvine to watch a game at the Staples Center (RT=80+). Being an evening game and having two young kids with us, we decide if we can't charge at our destination, we're not gonna try for anything beyond a few blocks away (i.e., Downtown Nissan). So, thanks to a little extra juice from the QC at Mitsubishi's HQ in Cypress, the trip was a breeze and we had plenty of cushion.

However, after the game, as we are heading back to the West Garage (Chick Hearn Ct. and Georgia St.), what do we see? Three Blink J1772/L2s on the upper P1 level! Apparently, they have yet to be powered up. They are installed but the J1772 nozzles still have bubble wrap. Needless to say, as of yesterday, these did not show up on the Blink network map.

Anyways, for future reference, once these are live, they will be a perfect option for anyone coming to an event at the Staples Center/Nokia Theater/LA Live area. Next time, we can skip the detour to Cypress and just do some L2 destination charging while we're at the game. Can't wait. :p

Don't know if/what the charging fee will be then. Of course, the usual parking fee in this garage would apply.

I see there is a chain across the spaces. I wonder if this is how they will keep them from being ICE'd? They made be powered on. Touching the blank screen will reveal this. Thanks for the report :D

There appear to be only two accessible parking slots for those three chargers... I wonder if they plan to re-stripe the floor...
JPVLeaf said:
However, after the game, as we are heading back to the West Garage (Chick Hearn Ct. and Georgia St.), what do we see? Three Blink J1772/L2s on the upper P1 level! Apparently, they have yet to be powered up. They are installed but the J1772 nozzles still have bubble wrap. Needless to say, as of yesterday, these did not show up on the Blink network map.

TomT said:
There appear to be only two accessible parking slots for those three chargers... I wonder if they plan to re-stripe the floor...
JPVLeaf said:
Looks to me like the third one is for the handicap space.

TomT said:
I count 4 spots accessible for those 3 stations, possibly 6 in a pinch as the stations on the end might be able to reach across spots.

Kataphn said:
I see there is a chain across the spaces. I wonder if this is how they will keep them from being ICE'd? They made be powered on. Touching the blank screen will reveal this. Thanks for the report :D
Unfortunately, I think the chain link is just a temporary measure while the Blink units are inaccessible. As the garage was filling, there were other (regular car) sections that were chained off and some with locks that attendants were unlocking. But, if the chain links were later used to prevent de-ICEing from the EV spots, that could be effective, though uncommonly used, approach. I didn't check if they were powered on. Once I saw the bubble wrap on the nozzles, we let them be. Hopefully, it won't be too long ... maybe additional marking on the spaces themselves, and who knows what else before they're ready flip the switch. So, locals, please let us know when they go Live. :p

drees said:
TomT said:
I count 4 spots accessible for those 3 stations, possibly 6 in a pinch as the stations on the end might be able to reach across spots.
+1
I see at least 4 spots with the end Blink unit between the handicapped and adjacent space. I doubt there are any plans to re-stripe.

Latest posts

Back