What gm-volt guys think of MNL ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
TomT said:
The Leaf IS the only vehicle I drive.
My honest and sincere opinion of that is I'm amazed and impressed.
TomT said:
Clearly the discussion revolves around personal automotive vehicles, not commercial trains, boats, airplanes, space shuttles, buses or the like.
SanDust said:
If you truly never use gas to go anywhere then you must lead a sad and limited life. No trains? No planes? No rides in ICE vehicles?
It seems his question about "No rides in ICE vehicles?" is still valid.

P.S. I've added you (TomT) to my MNL foe / ignore forum list so your post are suppressed and I no longer see them. You seem to only have one purpose in your post and have done so repeatingly. Please respond in kind. Thank you.

Please add me. What do I have to do?
i use no gasoline in the car I drive. None. Zero.
I do accept rides from people with ICE vehicles, as I am not a hermit or a hater.
I also allow others in my family to select and drive the vehicles they want -- no matter the mode of locomotion. I avoid airplanes and have done so successfully this year save for one trip, when I preferred to go by train but my loved one insisted.

If you don't mind, stephent, let's look at this a bit more closely.
stephent said:
Smidge204 said:
I acknowledged that not all Volt supporters (not necessarily owners) make the "I'll never use gas" claim, but certainly I've seen it more than once. Even in this thread you'll find people claiming "not a drop of gas" at least for various hypothetical situations.

The people claiming "not a drop of gas" are mainly trying to clear up misconceptions that some number of Leaf fanatics have that it is still using gas in situations like high freeway speeds or brisk acceleration, hallmarks of the Prius but not of the Volt.
On a personal level, I'm sorry you feel the need to apply labels like 'Leaf fanatic.' Part of the disconnect I continue to see between members of car forums in general, and EV forums in general, is that folks that like ICE just cannot understand why anyone would want to own/drive/ride something that doesn't have a fuel tank. That's ok - but I think it's useful to see that there are prejudices and 'blind spots' on both sides. For what it's worth. ;)

I detect a fairly strong need to separate the Volt from the Prius. Another blind spot?

The fact is that a pure EV will not use a single drop of fuel in the car. Sure - most will use fuel at the power plant - but so will the PHEVs so I expect we're all ignoring that part for now. The Volt cannot run long distances - whether in a single road trip or in multiple sub-40 mile EV legs - without burning some gas. The engine starts to lube itself. The engine starts to keep the fuel fresh and thus protect the fuel injection equipment. The engine starts to heat the battery. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), these are not easily controllable by the driver. This appears to be the point - and it's very valid point for those of us that have promised ourselves that we'll never buy an ICE again. And it's even a valid point for those that will buy an ICE in future. :lol: We go electric because of the benefits of electric drive. Some of us do not see a 100 or 75 mile range as a limit. Some of us are happy to be 'mutants' or 'trailblazers' that want to see if they/we can travel as we wish while enjoying the down-time provided by the EVSE or charger connection.

And on a parallel note, one of the challenges PHEVs have to overcome that EVs and HEVs do not is keeping emissions under control. The catalytic converter must be hot to work correctly - and there's an emissions spike until the cat is warm. Ditto the engine - computer controls have helped a great deal, but an ICE is least efficient during the period from start to warm-up. The governing bodies spent a lot of time wringing their hands trying to decide how to evaluate and permit PHEVs because of the very real existence of multiple 'start-up/warm-up events' during any one drive. This is one of the reasons the Prius stores coolant in a vacuum bottle - to retain waste heat. How does the Volt manage/mitigate these emissions events?

stephent said:
They aren't claiming that they never use gas, ever, which is obviously untrue. They are just claiming that in the vast majority of their driving, their gas use = gas use in a leaf = zero
Maybe you're right that they aren't claiming they'll never use gas, but clearly your equation is incorrect - as there is absolutely no condition where a pure EV will ever use gas or diesel -- but that's clearly not the case for the Volt. It might not matter to you or others, but that belief or desire does not change the fact.

stephent said:
...and that Leaf owners who trumpet purity are being disingenuous if they still own & use an ICE car or still rent an ICE car for their long trips, or get rides from someone with an ICE in situations where previously they might have driven themselves. Only a very small percentage of Leaf owners are willing to never take long trips, or spend long trips trying to get from one charging station to another, spending hours twiddling their thumbs while topping off their charge.
And yet please consider allowing some space for those that DO enjoy being 100% without ICE! Again - the Volt folks want us to embrace them as brothers and sisters, while hearing over and over how efficient the stereo system is - but for some reason we cannot get the same respect for OUR goals and desires on OUR OWN FORUM! :shock:

I hope that helps, stephent. There really are apples, and oranges, and pears - and it's OK! :lol:

AndyH said:
I detect a fairly strong need to separate the Volt from the Prius. Another blind spot?
There's quite a large difference between the Volt & the regular Prius. The fundamental fuel source used for the bulk of driving is different. The plug-in Prius is much closer, for the first 13 miles, but there are still differences. The differences are larger IMO than the differences in the Volt vs. the Leaf in daily miles 0-40.

The Volt cannot run long distances - whether in a single road trip or in multiple sub-40 mile EV legs - without burning some gas.
Define long distances. Is 1500 miles not a long distance? A Volt can easily go 1500 miles without burning a drop, say 42 days x 35.8 miles per day. Then it burns ~0.07 gallons in maintenance mode for ~3 minutes. Then you drive another 1500 miles without burning a drop.

I think making a big deal about a Leaf saving say 333 gallons of gas in a year vs. a 30 MPG ICE, vs. saving 332.4 gallons of gas a year in a Volt, does qualify one as a fanatic.

The engine starts to lube itself. The engine starts to keep the fuel fresh and thus protect the fuel injection equipment. The engine starts to heat the battery. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), these are not easily controllable by the driver.
These are *very rare events*. The "fresh fuel" maintenance thing runs *once a year*, if and only if the Volt driver is using hardly any gas at all. If they are going through half a tank a year, a couple hundred miles worth of non-EV driving, this doesn't run at all. And if they are really using this little gas, they can avoid this by keeping very little fuel in the tank, and adding a very small amount periodically.

The "engine maintenance" as mentioned runs only once every 1.5 months, and ~ 0.6 gallons per year, max, and I think you are a bit nuts if you think that's significant compared to the 300+ gallons saved vs. a regular ICE.

The engine only starts to heat the battery if it is very cold, coolant reaching < 25 degrees F. In some parts of the country, this never happens. For other parts, it's only a few months out of the year. And even this can be largely avoided if keeping the Volt in an insulated garage and utilizing preconditioning.

How does the Volt manage/mitigate these emissions events?
By starting only on your long trips. Emissions from cold starting 1-3x per month is obviously vastly superior to an ICE car cold starting twice or more a day. Volt has higher emissions than a Prius when the ICE starts, but if you are starting the engine 1/30th as often, your total emissions per month is lower.

And yet please consider allowing some space for those that DO enjoy being 100% without ICE!

I just don't understand why I don't see the 2% or whatever of you who have gone 100% ICE free hammering your Leaf-owning brethren who *haven't* gone ICE free, as much as you do the Volt. I think you are being unrealistic to think many people are willing to make the sacrifices to go 100% ICE free given the current state of technology. OK, so the Volt isn't as pure as you 2% ICE-free Leaf guys. You win. But the Volt is saving as much or more gas than many of the Leaf owners who do occasionally use an ICE. You may hate that we think of it as an EV, but for many of us it is functionally equivalent to a BEV for weeks, months at a time.

stephent said:
AndyH said:
There's quite a large difference between the Volt & the regular Prius. The fundamental fuel source used for the bulk of driving is different. The plug-in Prius is much closer, for the first 13 miles, but there are still differences. The differences are larger IMO than the differences in the Volt vs. the Leaf in daily miles 0-40.
Absolutely there is! And there are differences between the Volt and other PHEVs as well - but they become increasingly minor. Maybe there's room on all sides for a bit more accurate use of words here. If I say 'Prius' it's in a conversation about hybrids. Yes - it's more accurate to compare PHEVs. And it would be most accurate to compare the Volt with another PHEV-40 if there were any. ;) The challenge I see from 'your' (generic 'your' - not ad homonym!) direction is that when Volt folks see 'Prius' the hair stands up on the backs of their necks and they make a cross in front of their faces with their index fingers. ;) In other words - it seems to come across as a slur rather than an unemotional attempt to discuss hybrid vehicles.

stephent said:
AndyH said:
The Volt cannot run long distances - whether in a single road trip or in multiple sub-40 mile EV legs - without burning some gas.
Define long distances. Is 1500 miles not a long distance? A Volt can easily go 1500 miles without burning a drop, say 42 days x 35.8 miles per day. Then it burns ~0.07 gallons in maintenance mode for ~3 minutes. Then you drive another 1500 miles without burning a drop.
I grew up in Michigan in a GM family so I have some idea of how the weather is above the Mason-Dixon line. ;) Again - while your point might be factually accurate, it leaves out some important bits, yes?

stephent said:
I think making a big deal about a Leaf saving say 333 gallons of gas in a year vs. a 30 MPG ICE, vs. saving 332.4 gallons of gas a year in a Volt, does qualify one as a fanatic.
But that's not what's happening, is it? Calculate fuel consumption for a Mon-Fri commute of 50 miles one way with a 120VAC outlet in the parking lot at work. Do it again in Detroit or Chicago or (heaven forbid!) Minneapolis/St Paul in the winter. I look forward to your numbers. ;) It's not about 0.6 gallons.

stephent said:
AndyH said:
The engine starts to lube itself. The engine starts to keep the fuel fresh and thus protect the fuel injection equipment. The engine starts to heat the battery. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), these are not easily controllable by the driver.
These are *very rare events*. The "fresh fuel" maintenance thing runs *once a year*, if and only if the Volt driver is using hardly any gas at all. If they are going through half a tank a year, a couple hundred miles worth of non-EV driving, this doesn't run at all. And if they are really using this little gas, they can avoid this by keeping very little fuel in the tank, and adding a very small amount periodically.

The "engine maintenance" as mentioned runs only once every 1.5 months, and ~ 0.6 gallons per year, max, and I think you are a bit nuts if you think that's significant compared to the 300+ gallons saved vs. a regular ICE.

The engine only starts to heat the battery if it is very cold, coolant reaching < 25 degrees F. In some parts of the country, this never happens. For other parts, it's only a few months out of the year. And even this can be largely avoided if keeping the Volt in an insulated garage and utilizing preconditioning.
Maybe. Again, I'm from the 'Great White North' and know what it's like to break the legs off a BBQ grill, start a small charcoal fire, and slide the beast under the oil pan so the car will start in the morning. In far northern Michigan (the UP), we have 9 months of winter and three months of mosquitoes (or bad skiing). :lol: The point is that this car CAN run periods without using fuel - and a conscientious owner/operator can squeeze this to the max - but in the end, it's gonna burn gas.

stephent said:
AndyH said:
How does the Volt manage/mitigate these emissions events?
By starting only on your long trips. Emissions from cold starting 1-3x per month is obviously vastly superior to an ICE car cold starting twice or more a day. Volt has higher emissions than a Prius when the ICE starts, but if you are starting the engine 1/30th as often, your total emissions per month is lower.
We'll have cold start events for battery warming. We'll have another cold start when we transition to CS mode. That's at least two. There may be more, maybe not. This isn't a slam or criticism - it's just a technical look at WHAT IS. This car, after all, is a plug-in hybrid -- and emissions certification is unique for this class of vehicle. It's different than ICE, different than HEV - and that's ok.

stephent said:
AndyH said:
And yet please consider allowing some space for those that DO enjoy being 100% without ICE!
I just don't understand why I don't see the 2% or whatever of you who have gone 100% ICE free hammering your Leaf-owning brethren who *haven't* gone ICE free, as much as you do the Volt. I think you are being unrealistic to think many people are willing to make the sacrifices to go 100% ICE free given the current state of technology. OK, so the Volt isn't as pure as you 2% ICE-free Leaf guys. You win. But the Volt is saving as much or more gas than many of the Leaf owners who do occasionally use an ICE. You may hate that we think of it as an EV, but for many of us it is functionally equivalent to a BEV for weeks, months at a time.
Hmmm... Here's a can of worms... Here's the deal stephent - This is a forum dedicated to a 100% electric vehicle. Most of the folks here are here because they find some value in 100% electric vehicles. Some for reduced fuel use, other for keeping fuel money in their country/region. And yes - some of us are either embracing or working toward a 100% fossil fuel free life. Many of us are not interested in compromises or 'functionally equivalent' ways to simulate dumping the pump. ;) You don't have to understand it. You don't have to like it - you have that right - even here! But so do we.

The reason, in my opinion, that one doesn't see some of us bashing others here is because on the whole this is a very nice community! There are a LOT of smart folks here that I get to learn from. :lol: This isn't a Nissan fan-boy site, or a place where a thread will turn into a caustic mess and have to be excised from the rest of the community. We don't ban and we don't censor. Most of us act like adults most of the time. :lol: We also don't join other car forums to try to convert others to the superiority of electric drive (with or without marketing spin).

Be well.

edit...spelling fixes...

I'm mostly concerned that with its toddler-sized battery, the Plug-In Prius is going to be occupying all the J1772 plugs in town, leaving both us Volt and Leaf folks commiserating on how evil small batteries are.

stephent said:
Uh, how do you get 78 working days in 2 months? Heck, how do you get 78 days in 2 months? :):)
I can tell you EXACTLY how I got that number, but it'd just be an excuse for not paying attention: I originally started working the problem using a 4-month span and 80 got stuck in my head. :| Classic Smidge error on my part, and doubly embarrassing as I read it over at least three times without catching it. :oops:

I don't agree that the 120 mile round trip is THAT far fetched - I know plenty of people who live out on Long Island and commute, by car, into NYC which is a 50-60 mile trip.

Nor do I agree that 40MPG is a valid number to use in real world situations unless you drive on the slow side - although given the usual traffic on 495 entering NYC you might not have a choice! By then you'll likely be in CS mode and getting not that great fuel economy anyway... but I'll use 40MPG since I'm already giving the Volt a bonus by assuming a full 40 miles all-electric range.

Allow me a chance to redeem myself, mathematically 38 days not 78:

ICE Owner (Baseline): 4790 miles total travel @ 25MPG = 191.60 gallons burned.

Volt owner: 40.90 gallons in 2 months, 4790 miles total travel, 117.12 MPG bulk average.

Leaf owner + ICE backup: 9.2 gallons in 2 months, 4790 miles total travel, 520.65 MPG bulk average.

Hopefully that works out better...

stephent said:
For the non-daily driving, duh.

1) How often is that non-daily driving?

2) How much of that non-daily driving is within the range of a BEV (60 miles being very conservative, 80 more realistically)?

3) If your driving is such that you never ever exceed the ~40 mile electric range of the Volt, ever, then you are still wasting whatever little fuel the Volt burns. The premises of my argument is a) minimizing fuel consumption, b) that the Volt drastically reduces but does not - can not - completely eliminate fuel use, and c) there are circumstances that the Volt is a poorer choice for fuel savings than a BEV with even a mediocre ICE vehicle as a backup.

Less is good, none is better.

Really, the logic applied here draws eerie parallels to the logic some people use to justify buying a F250 pickup as a daily commuter: I might need it some day!

stephent said:
The 100+ mile trips I saw with this driver don't show > 40 mile EV driving, so a reasonable presumption is that convenient charging was *not* available, and it's "not doable" in a Leaf, not "potentially doable".
Or that the owner simply chose not to seek charging for whatever reason. One thing I hypothesize is that PHEV owners, secure with their fossil fuel safety nets, may not make as big a deal over opportunity charging as BEV owners.

I'm running short on time so I'll come back to this point later - until then, do you have any specific dates you'd like me to consider? Needle in a haystack and all that...
=Smidge=

So the GM Volt "logic" on the past couple pages is basically "planes and trains still burn gas so LEAF owners are not really driving a BEV???". Got it.

TRONZ said:
So the GM Volt "logic" on the past couple pages is basically "planes and trains still burn gas so LEAF owners are not really driving a BEV???". Got it.

I would not attribute to an entire group of people the statements of a few individuals. I mostly dropped out of this conversation when it transitioned into a "my car is better than your car" diatribe, since I think the two cars are non-competitive and there's no productive way to compare them given they serve such divergent needs and driving scenarios.

Others may have dropped out as well.

scottf200 said:
TomT said:
I like this game! Can I play?! 10,000 miles so far this year and used 0 (ZERO) gallons of gas!
That is pretty funny actually. :lol:
Of course to play the game you have to include all vehicles that you drive and not just the Leaf. Right?

TomT said:
The Leaf IS the only vehicle I drive.

+1! Right! I've driven close to 4000 miles so far without using ANY gasoline. This LEAF is my Primary car (have no others) and as soon as the QCs are on the interstates, plan to take some trips. :mrgreen:

Smidge204 said:
I don't agree that the 120 mile round trip is THAT far fetched - I know plenty of people who live out on Long Island and commute, by car, into NYC which is a 50-60 mile trip.
Sure, there exist people with long commutes such as that, and if they have work charging, I already conceded that a Leaf would work better in that situation. But there exist many, many more people for whom the Volt range is sufficient. I am just trying to get you to admit that except for the very small % of people who refuse to use any gas ever, that for those with the shorter commutes, with rare driving in the 40-80 mile zone, a Volt can be equivalent or better than having (Leaf + ICE). But both you & AndyH repeatedly come back with examples of people with 100-120 mile round trip commutes with workplace charging, on which the point has already been conceded, instead of addressing my substantially more common scenario of < 35 mile commutes without charging.

Nor do I agree that 40MPG is a valid number to use in real world situations unless you drive on the slow side
Why not? I got something like 42.8 at 67 mph cruise control. Maybe 40MPG isn't right if you like to cruise at 80 mph.

1) How often is that non-daily driving?

2) How much of that non-daily driving is within the range of a BEV (60 miles being very conservative, 80 more realistically)?
For me, the non-daily driving is maybe 16-20 trips per year? Only maybe 20% of those trips would be covered by the extra Leaf range. A much smaller percentage of the total miles & total gas used, since by definition those are the shorter trips. And as I demonstrated earlier, the ability of the Volt to be used as partial EV on the longer trips can cancel those shorter trips out.

3) If your driving is such that you never ever exceed the ~40 mile electric range of the Volt, ever, then you are still wasting whatever little fuel the Volt burns. The premises of my argument is a) minimizing fuel consumption, b) that the Volt drastically reduces but does not - can not - completely eliminate fuel use, and c) there are circumstances that the Volt is a poorer choice for fuel savings than a BEV with even a mediocre ICE vehicle as a backup.
But "never ever exceed" is totally far fetched. Why would a Volt owner never ever exceed it? We bought the Volt because we knew we would want to occasionally exceed both the Volt range AND the Leaf range. If I knew I'd never exceed Leaf range, I would have gotten one, but I know that I do need more range with some frequency, so I didn't.

I agree with c), but only in the situation where the 40-80 mile extra range is utilized with a sufficient amount of regularity.

Less is good, none is better.
None is unobtainable for most people, counting their use of 2nd ICE cars, rentals, rides from other people. For those not driving regularly in the Leaf extra range, the Leaf doesn't save a substantial amount of gas over the Volt, and loses the flexibility to be used on long trips, including doing some EV driving on the long trips where possible.

Really, the logic applied here draws eerie parallels to the logic some people use to justify buying a F250 pickup as a daily commuter: I might need it some day!

I think my logic is fine. The Leaf's extra EV range capabilities are useful vs. a Volt's if you will use that range on a regular basis. If you aren't going to, then it really isn't.

Yes, between maintenance mode and the Leaf range trips, I might burn a few extra gallons a year in a Volt than a Leaf for those particular trips. But I'm going to save more than a few from the EV driving in the more numerous longer trips. For my particular driving patterns, a Volt uses less gas. If my pattern were different, if I had reason to go on 60-70 mile round trips quite often, the equation would change and the Leaf would come out on top, and I might well have made a different purchase decision.

A Volt is not at all comparable to using a pickup for commuting. Using a pickup for commuting is getting a penalty of burning extra gas every day. Using a Volt, with a Volt-range commute, only has the worst case of ~0.6 gallon/year maintenance mode penalty, which is rather insignificant compared to potential gains on longer trips.

Or that the owner simply chose not to seek charging for whatever reason. One thing I hypothesize is that PHEV owners, secure with their fossil fuel safety nets, may not make as big a deal over opportunity charging as BEV owners.
A lot of us have what we have termed "gas anxiety", we really like to avoid kicking in the gas if feasible. On days where I am going to drive a few extra miles over my normal Volt range, I'll make an effort to take a slower route, drive slower, & use less climate control to stretch the range to cover.
So we will still utilize opportunity charging if we need it to avoid the gas, it it's conveniently located. If it's reasonably priced, which is < price of running on gas IMO. But if it's charging $3.00 / hour as a few places have started, I doubt we'll pay that, since that's basically equivalent to $12 a gallon gas.

TRONZ said:

You forgot the taxis you will ride and ICE vehicles you will have to rent, beg or borrow from your wife. Your goodness is not measured by how many gallons of gas you burn..

stephent said:
None is unobtainable for most people, counting their use of 2nd ICE cars, rentals, rides from other people.
Do you recognize that some here are consistently talking about a specific situation, while you are alternately talking about whatever situation fits your message? It's impossible to have a meaningful conversation in a situation like that - nailing jello to a tree comes to mind.

Here's a tidbit for you. I don't own a Leaf yet as my life situation changed significantly last summer. In the mean time, 90% of my transportation needs are provided by my electric motorcycle's 40 mile range. The rest of the driving - when I need to carry 'stuff' or people or drive longer than 40 miles - happens in my 50mpg diesel car filled with biodiesel. The oil in my engine is synthetic and specifically engineered for long drain intervals. It has been in the engine for a bit more than two years. My house is 100% electric and is powered by wind and solar (and some of my cooking happens in a solar oven). I'm shopping for property on which will be built an off-grid passive solar house that will only require 1600 W of solar panels, collects its own water, and processes it's own waste - with no connection to any grid.

Stop and explore this forum a bit, if you wish, and get to know the folks here. We're not like the folks you might find on other forums - so it might be beneficial to leave prejudices and assumptions at the door on the way in. ;)

So long.

AndyH said:
In the mean time, 90% of my transportation needs are provided by my electric motorcycle's 40 mile range. The rest of the driving - when I need to carry 'stuff' or people or drive longer than 40 miles - happens in my 50mpg diesel car filled with biodiesel. The oil in my engine is synthetic and specifically engineered for long drain intervals. It has been in the engine for a bit more than two years. My house is 100% electric and is powered by wind and solar (and some of my cooking happens in a solar oven). I'm shopping for property on which will be built an off-grid passive solar house that will only require 1600 W of solar panels, collects its own water, and processes it's own waste - with no connection to any grid.
TRONZ said:
Herm said:
Your goodness is not measured by how many gallons of gas you burn..
I guess that would depend on which forum you're on.
You two need to get over yourselves before you drown in a pool of self-righteousness. Plus piously proclaiming "mine is so much bigger than yours because I use synthetic" just isn't very attractive. :roll:

This is Saturday Night Live material. Seriously.

SanDust said:

SNL??? Yes it is. The skit was called "The Thing That Wouldn't Leave!". Look it up.

Just to be clear, Andy has a deep respect for the environment and is a highly respected member of MNL. Andy and BEV's will be here long after the Volt is gone.

AndyH said:
stephent said:
None is unobtainable for most people, counting their use of 2nd ICE cars, rentals, rides from other people.
Do you recognize that some here are consistently talking about a specific situation, while you are alternately talking about whatever situation fits your message? It's impossible to have a meaningful conversation in a situation like that - nailing jello to a tree comes to mind.

I am talking about a consistent situation. Less than Volt range commute/regular driving, for a person not willing to give up all ICE usage, who still wants to do long trips > EV range of both cars. A quite common situation.

It is YOU and Smidge who kept on diverting discussion to a different situation, for people with 100-120 mile commutes, and people who are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to have zero ICE usage, and bring up irrelevancies. I stated in my first post in the thread that the Leaf is better in this situation, and have never argued about these situations. I just stated that these situations are relatively rare. Instead of addressing my scenario, which applies to vastly larger # of people than your scenarios, you keep on repeating your alternate scenarios and dodge my points.

stephent said:
It is YOU and Smidge who kept on diverting discussion to a different situation, for people with 100-120 mile commutes, and people who are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to have zero ICE usage, and bring up irrelevancies. I stated in my first post in the thread that the Leaf is better in this situation, and have never argued about these situations. I just stated that these situations are relatively rare. Instead of addressing my scenario, which applies to vastly larger # of people than your scenarios, you keep on repeating your alternate scenarios and dodge my points.
See - we're not communicating here - simply talking past each other. I'm simply trying to help you see that other viewpoints exist beyond the CD range of a Volt. I asked you to do a second set of mileage calcs - which you side-stepped. Pot - kettle -- kettle - pot. ;)

I've failed. I'm done. Enjoy your Volt.

SanDust said:
AndyH said:
In the mean time, 90% of my transportation needs are provided by my electric motorcycle's 40 mile range. The rest of the driving - when I need to carry 'stuff' or people or drive longer than 40 miles - happens in my 50mpg diesel car filled with biodiesel. The oil in my engine is synthetic and specifically engineered for long drain intervals. It has been in the engine for a bit more than two years. My house is 100% electric and is powered by wind and solar (and some of my cooking happens in a solar oven). I'm shopping for property on which will be built an off-grid passive solar house that will only require 1600 W of solar panels, collects its own water, and processes it's own waste - with no connection to any grid.
TRONZ said:
Herm said:
Your goodness is not measured by how many gallons of gas you burn..
I guess that would depend on which forum you're on.
You two need to get over yourselves before you drown in a pool of self-righteousness. Plus piously proclaiming "mine is so much bigger than yours because I use synthetic" just isn't very attractive. :roll:

Thanks for the feedback, SanDust. Sorry that we don't share the same values and goals. No, actually I'm not - because there's room enough on the planet for each of us to have our own experiences.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
Aldous Huxley

AndyH said:
See - we're not communicating here - simply talking past each other. I'm simply trying to help you see that other viewpoints exist beyond the CD range of a Volt. I asked you to do a second set of mileage calcs - which you side-stepped. Pot - kettle -- kettle - pot. ;)

You must have reading comprehension issues. I REPEATEDLY STATED that in your alternative scenarios, a Leaf works better. I didn't side-step, I agreed that mileage calculations for those scenarios would show a Leaf would save a substantial amount of gasoline. I didn't actually do the calculation for your scenario and post numbers for it, because I didn't think it necessary when I already know a Leaf is better in such a scenario, and never disputed this fact at all. Why must I do calculations for a situation for which we already agree?

But while I readily concede that in your rarer situations, a Leaf is a better fit, you just constantly ignore my posited more common scenario, in which a Volt is an arguably a better fit. I acknowledge that other situations/viewpoints exist. Why don't you acknowledge my situation, and acknowledge that my scenario is way more common than yours?

stephent said:
But while I readily concede that in your rarer situations, a Leaf is a better fit, you just constantly ignore my posited more common scenario, in which a Volt is an arguably a better fit. I acknowledge that other situations/viewpoints exist. Why don't you acknowledge my situation, and acknowledge that my scenario is way more common than yours?
I cannot acknowledge that your scenario is way more common because in my experience it's not. I presented my situation (much to SanDust's distaste) simply to show you that this forum, where one can find a number of members doing more than I on the sustainability front, it not like other places in cyberspace. I hoped to shift one of the endpoints - to expand the cone of awareness to include new opportunities.

If I wanted a new vehicle for my daily commute for the next couple of years, I only need 30 miles round trip range. A Leaf would be more efficient and less expensive than a Volt (but down here in the land of drought, the motorcycle has them both beat). If I decide to expand my commute to 80 miles one way, I'd still use a Leaf and recharge at the far end because zero tailpipe is important to me. If I somehow forgot lessons learned earlier in life and opted for an 80+ mile commute, I'd stay with my biodiesel VW due to it's higher fuel economy, roughly zero carbon footprint for fuel, and significantly lower price of admission. Ditto for long trips - like the number I've made in the past coast to coast. Bottom line (in case it's not clear yet) I have yet to see a scenario where a PHEV would be a better fit than my current EV/biodiesel combo.

It simply seems to me that some are going out of their way to present the Volt in as perfect light as possible while also suggesting that others that value a pure EV are somehow deficient in brain matter. And this is a viewpoint with which I simply do not resonate.

Back