Leaf regen vs Prius regen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
well mostly because unless you are 95+% SOC, "deadbanding" (driving when power meter says the motor is neither generating or consuming power) still has a significant drag on the vehicle. i can coast much farther and maintain my speed much better in neutral and no amount of pedal play will match that performance.

ask anyone who gets 7 miles/K they will tell ya how it works
Then why do you want it all on one pedal? That was MY argument. I want to just let off the "GO" pedal and coast. Then hit the brake if I want to regen and slow down.

who wouldnt want a 50% reduction in operational difficulty?

DaveinOlyWA said:
But you just got done saying you can't coast properly with one pedal and end up shifting to neutral. More regen won't change that. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
But you just got done saying you can't coast properly with one pedal and end up shifting to neutral. More regen won't change that. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

that is exactly what i said and i dont like it. wish i did not have to shift to neutral. there should be a place on the throttle where its the same as coasting which is essentially something the Prius can do that the LEAF cannot

If you had "full" regen on the accel pedal, removing your foot suddenly would likely result in locked wheels and a skid. I've built an EV like this before, and it becomes almost undrivable to have "full" regen on the pedal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms4NjBJbZI[/youtube]

In the end, I ended up with slight regen (about 10%) on pedal release, and then the first inch of brake pedal travel went from 0 to 70% regen before activating the hydraulics. 0-100% resulted in locked rear wheels.

Nissan went overboard on the Leaf with the "feel" and it's very difficult to get substantial regen and keep it there with normal driving, so much is wasted. After LEAFSCAN™, I'm going to work on this.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
If you had "full" regen on the accel pedal, removing your foot suddenly would likely result in locked wheels and a skid. I've built an EV like this before, and it becomes almost undrivable to have "full" regen on the pedal.

<snipped video>

In the end, I ended up with slight regen (about 10%) on pedal release, and then the first inch of brake pedal travel went from 0 to 70% regen before activating the hydraulics. 0-100% resulted in locked rear wheels.
Whoa!!! Easy there, Trigger!! :shock:

I will say that I'm glad that video didn't have "smell-a-vision"! It must have been pretty acrid in there with all that tire smoke!

Back