Andy Palmer and Chelsea Sexton Discuss the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
But because the battery is expensive, and the fact that the price is going to take some time to arrive at tells me that the Nissan cost of the pack is high and they have to determine whether they're going to try and sell it at a profit (and make it even higher priced), sell it at cost, or take a loss when selling a few of them to us owners...

Why else would it take so long to arrive at a price?
I can "answer" that with pure conjecture:

A few years ago car makers looked at the economics of producing EV's. Most of them decided they couldn't make money at it and at best started programs to build a handful of CARB compliance cars. Nissan decided they could make money if several trends were favorable. They set out to try to influence those trends, and to produce the first mass market affordable EV. It was a "bet the company" move that, if successful, would catapult Nissan ahead of Toyota and their hybrid technology.

One big trend they bet on was the decline of battery cost per kWh. Remember when Leaf launched all the discussion about the price, wondering whether they were losing money on each car, and the surprise at how low Leaf's $/kWh figure was compared to other batteries? Getting the net cost down requires the Tennessee plant, economies of scale, and improved chemistry. It also requires secondary use markets, and raw materials recycling for higher trade-in value of the old battery. Economies of scale depend obviously on lots of EV's being sold. But also, only if lots of EV's are sold and are perceived to be increasing in volume, do the investments in improved chemistry research get made, do the deals with electric utilities for secondary storage use get signed, and do the lithium recycling plants get built and scaled up.

So they start out losing money on every car, but don't talk about it. They talk confidently about the line being profitable - thinking of 5 years or 10 years with increasing volumes and falling costs. They know many batteries will be replaced in 10 years and some will even be replaced in 5 years. But they're confident that by that time the costs will have fallen sufficiently, and they plan to set a trade-in price on a remanufactured battery some time between 5 and 10 years from launch.

Then some batteries in Arizona begin degrading faster than they imagined, and customers want to know the cost of new batteries now so we'll have an idea about depreciation of our investments. What can they say? If they use today's actual cost it will drive customers away. If they use the 2021 projected cost a bunch of people will want to trade batteries early to restore minor loss of capacity.

Perhaps they'll end up offering in effect to convert some battery purchases to leases. You pay so much per month, based on the age and mileage of your car, to guarantee a future remanufactured battery to replace your original capacity. The replacement battery would be available sometime between 2016 and 2021 depending on mileage and tested capacity. You might get it sooner if capacity tests abnormally low sooner, with warranty coverage offsetting some of the cost. The lease terms would let people calculate an equivalent retail price of a replacement battery with trade-in. That price would probably be close to Nissan's projected price in that year. But Nissan wouldn't have committed to sell them at that price, nor even to sell them at all. If a new chemistry gave 10% higher kWh per pound Nissan might lower their lease price for new customers going forward. If a major deal fell through with a utility that had planned to reuse old Leaf batteries, Nissan might raise their lease price.

Whether or not they do that for the majority of Leaf owners, they might offer similar deals to the customers worst affected by capacity loss. They'd guarantee restoration of capacity when really needed at a known price. And I wouldn't be surprised if a condition of the deal were to sign a non-disclosure agreement so that the rest of us don't know the price.

klapauzius said:
Do they seriously think, that after 10 years I can exchange a bunch of cells and the car will drive like new (range-wise)????
Mark Perry stated exactly that a number of times - if you find capacity low at some point you'd be able to "refresh" your pack by replacing the weakest ones and get a good bump in capacity.

Volusiano said:
But if I'm a potential buyer for AZ and my norm is 12.5K miles/year, the 76% based on 7.5K miles/year means nothing to me.

Nissan, please provide me with a projected glide path for AZ based on 12.5K miles per year.
Exactly. Ideally not only projections based on the 12.5k mi should be provided for a variety of climates, but also how usage habits (more/less miles, high speed vs city driving, QC vs no QC, 80% vs 100%, etc) will affect the glide path. It also strikes me that proving only 5/10 year estimates is insufficient when capacity loss is greatest at the start - am 18 month - 2 year estimate would also be very insightful, especially for lessees.

Boomer23 said:
IMHO, the biggest issue is the range expectations that Nissan touted without providing buyers (or lessees) with predictions about how soon significant degradation should be expected. I'd say that a large percentage of us expected to see very little range degradation in the first 2 to 3 years, with a little degradation perhaps starting to show up in year 3.
Well, I think we all expected "gradual" degradation and not rapid degradation at first, which would mean 4% / year for 5 years and 2% / year for 10 years. Instead we have to take those 2 data points and eyeball a curve to it - and we still find that it should be close to 2 years before we lose 10% capacity.

Again - this leads to the root cause of the whole debacle - owners and potentials owners not being provided enough information to even roughly estimate how long the LEAF will remain usable for them based on their climate and usage patterns. Expectations of capacity loss over time have not been met for many people.

jspearman said:
I feel guilty every time I QC the car. Nissan has created the first passive-aggressive automobile.
Naw - I felt way more guilty driving my last gas guzzler than I do driving the LEAF. At least with the LEAF you know that you are helping to work toward a solution rather than making a problem worse.

Now here's a question I didn't see answered:

Andy mentioned again that the capacity gauge is pessimistic. Is there any work being done to improve the accuracy of the gauge. I also disagree with Chelsea's notion that no other EVs ship with a capacity gauge. In fact, all Teslas do in the form of an "ideal range" DTE indicator that effectively doubles as a capacity gauge as well as a DTE indicator. Such a gauge would be an ideal addition to the LEAF and would serve 3 functions

1. Provide an accurate SOC gauge
2. Provide an accurate capacity gauge
3. Provide a consistent DTE gauge

Personally, I would rather have an "ideal range" DTE indicator rather than the GOM we have now provided we knew what mi/kWh on the dash the DTE indicator corresponded to. Even better, have the DTE indicator correspond to the mi/kWh over the currently displayed trip-odometer.

planet4ever said:
jhm614 said:
If I understood the video correctly, the 7500 mile figure comes from the CARWINGS data from the 400 AZ customers that click "accept" when the LEAF is started.
Yes, that's the way I heard it, too. But I'm surprised no one has pointed out that this is a prime way to lie with statistics. What Andy said (in effect) was that 11% (50/450) of AZ drivers never click accept. What he implied was that the other 89% always click accept. What if I drive 15,000 miles a year, but only click accept half the time? Or my wife and I drive the car equally, and she always clicks but I never do? Bingo! We're suddenly 7500 mile drivers. (I know whereof I speak. My car's odometer has gone past 10,000, but CARWINGS says I've driven a total of 88.8 miles in the parts of two years I have had it.) In fact, if my mileage was averaged with that of a 15K mile driver ...

Now, I suppose it is barely possible that neither Andy nor any of the bean counters at Nissan thought if this but, frankly, I think the overwhelming probability is that they did, and decided to pretend that they didn't.

Ray
I always presumed that the Leaf has some data storage capacity, such that if I only click "Accept" every third or fourth time I drove, Nissan would eventually get 100% of my data. Even if there is no storage, Nissan probably gets fresh 'cumulative' data (odometer, avg mi/kwh, etc.) every time I do click "Accept". So it probably doesn't require "100%" clicks for Nissan to know miles driven.

Has this been documented one way or the other?

EricH said:
If I remember correctly, on occasion I would notice some missing trips in CarWings. There were reports of discrepancies between total recorded mileage on the odometer and in CarWings. Either way, it's relatively easy to confirm this behavior.

Boomer23 said:
IMHO, the biggest issue is the range expectations that Nissan touted without providing buyers (or lessees) with predictions about how soon significant degradation should be expected. I'd say that a large percentage of us expected to see very little range degradation in the first 2 to 3 years, with a little degradation perhaps starting to show up in year 3. I think that had Nissan warned potential buyers that their range might drop by 10% to 15% in the first year in warm climates (to include Metro Southern California, their primary market!) and 20% or more in desert climates if you drove more than 7,500 miles per year, many buyers would have opted out before purchase and Nissan would have a smaller, but much more satisfied customer base.
I think Boomer23 made a very good point here.

It seems like Nissan has already known all along that its 80%/70% glide path in 5/10 years is a big drop off up front. So why did Nissan withhold that information from the customer at the point of purchase and let them assume incorrectly that the glide path is linear? Nissan never said anything about the glide path being non-linear with a big drop off up front until the cat was out of the bag and the premature losses in Phoenix started piling up.

This is a very important factor that would heavily influence potential buyers' purchase decision. It's a BIG difference to let people incorrectly assume that their 20% loss won't happen until the end of 5 years, as opposed to telling people the truth that they'll probably lose 15% after only the first year and a half or so. Had people known this, many would have opted out and not bought.

Nissan lately has been saying that they're trying to be transparent with customers. It would have been nice to be transparent up front instead of after the fact, after the issue has been discovered by customers a year later. That's why nobody is accepting Nissan's mantra that everything is "normal", because the up front expectation of "normal" by the customer is very different than the after the fact "normal" by Nissan.

That's why a good will remedy is needed to salvage any faith people may have left of Nissan. Admitting that they've been lacking in communicating with customers is not good enough. Even with better communication going forward, Nissan still needs to make it right to early adopters who were deceived by the half truths and vagueness to trick them into making purchase decision without being fully informed.

When he mentioned the fact about installing the capacity gauge in the Leaf and wondered if that was a good idea, I couldn't help but think about Toyota and Honda putting fuel-economy gauges in their first hybrids. Any technician will tell you what a headache it is that people bring in their cars because they aren't getting the advertised fuel economy and want the car "fixed." Of course, had the left off the gauge then most drivers would have never noticed that they weren't getting the fuel economy they thought they should get and thus would have been happier living in blissful ignorance just like they were with their previous cars that also didn't live up to fuel economy expectations because of their driving style.

Fortunately, I think as more and more cars include fuel economy gauges (hybrid or otherwise) this problem may be reduced some and more drivers are becoming aware that no vehicle routinely achieves its EPA estimates.

I'm very glad they put the capacity bar on the Leaf but my thought has always been for the person buying a used Leaf. That will give a good indication of the current health of the battery for somebody who hasn't been driving the car personally.

Volusiano said:
Boomer23 said:
IMHO, the biggest issue is the range expectations that Nissan touted without providing buyers (or lessees) with predictions about how soon significant degradation should be expected. I'd say that a large percentage of us expected to see very little range degradation in the first 2 to 3 years, with a little degradation perhaps starting to show up in year 3. I think that had Nissan warned potential buyers that their range might drop by 10% to 15% in the first year in warm climates (to include Metro Southern California, their primary market!) and 20% or more in desert climates if you drove more than 7,500 miles per year, many buyers would have opted out before purchase and Nissan would have a smaller, but much more satisfied customer base.
I think Boomer23 made a very good point here.

It seems like Nissan has already known all along that its 80%/70% glide path in 5/10 years is a big drop off up front. So why did Nissan withhold that information from the customer at the point of purchase and let them assume incorrectly that the glide path is linear? Nissan never said anything about the glide path being non-linear with a big drop off up front until the cat was out of the bag and the premature losses in Phoenix started piling up.

Those of us who knew how Li-ion batteries degrade SHOULD have expected to see the majority of loss in the first year(s) of ownership. This is the way these batteries have traditionally behaved. However we were lulled into a sense of security by Gary's Gidometer, always showing us closed to 281 Gids in the first year of ownership. Therefore, it's all Gary's fault. ;)

So now the penny has finally dropped. These battery packs, with the notable exception of the temperature affected* outliers, appear to be behaving exactly as they were meant to. What I need to be sure of now is if we've reached the point where the curve starts to level off. And this is why I've been trackng my daily Gid count for the past 7 months, looking for that settlng. However, Gid count bounces around so much it's really hard to tell. But I figure if the low count stays above 221, I'll have seen the worst of it.

Edit: *Or other mystery affliction.

planet4ever said:
jhm614 said:
If I understood the video correctly, the 7500 mile figure comes from the CARWINGS data from the 400 AZ customers that click "accept" when the LEAF is started.
Yes, that's the way I heard it, too. But I'm surprised no one has pointed out that this is a prime way to lie with statistics. What Andy said (in effect) was that 11% (50/450) of AZ drivers never click accept. What he implied was that the other 89% always click accept. What if I drive 15,000 miles a year, but only click accept half the time? Or my wife and I drive the car equally, and she always clicks but I never do? Bingo! We're suddenly 7500 mile drivers. (I know whereof I speak. My car's odometer has gone past 10,000, but CARWINGS says I've driven a total of 88.8 miles in the parts of two years I have had it.) In fact, if my mileage was averaged with that of a 15K mile driver ...

Now, I suppose it is barely possible that neither Andy nor any of the bean counters at Nissan thought if this but, frankly, I think the overwhelming probability is that they did, and decided to pretend that they didn't.

Ray
+1
On 9/14/12 I received an e-mail from Blink saying:
"It was recently identified that many LEAF vehicles that had been providing data to the EV Project have for some reason stopped providing that data. The reason this occurred is unclear but in any event, we are emailing you because your Leaf is one of those vehicles."

I think the 7,500 mile figure is bogus and isn't a true reflection of anything. It is not the average annual mileage of Arizona drivers, whether in Leafs or not.

What I get from the video is that they never intended to sell the car, only lease them. And as such, they didn't anticipate people owning them long enough to wear down the batteries to the point it would be a problem.

Philip

jspearman said:
I feel guilty every time I QC the car. Nissan has created the first passive-aggressive automobile.

ROTFLMAO and crying. That's too funny.

<<edit>>
Just watched the vid...I disagree with the electric cars require federal subsidy. The subsidy is nice but I didn't buy because of the subsidy.

Also the accept button...does GM On-Star require a daily accept? I doubt it.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on the video. I knew it wasn't going to be as detailed as some wanted, but I tried to press for as much information as I was reasonably going to get on the spot, while also getting in as many questions as I could in the time we had. As you saw in Jeff's comment, it's already much longer than he imagined! Though I too, told him that the last thing you guys would complain about...

As some have mentioned, there was also the reality that lawyers were only going to let him say so much, especially on camera. As it is, I'm surprised that those who reviewed the video after the fact let it stay intact- though I suspect that Jeff probably has some scars to show for that fight.

I did also send them home with some "homework".

1) projected degradation for AZ at 12,500 miles/year, right off the bat.

2) Battery cost.
As an aside, I too was surprised at Andy's response about not expecting customers to want to replace a whole pack, and we had more discussion about this off-camera. Some of this (and other issues) can be traced to Nissan not understanding their EV customers as well as it should, though this is an industry-wide issue. But at least part of his response was based, imo, in his own engineering bent- that it makes more sense to replace modules than a whole pack. (To which I responded that I'd be happy to start with a price for replacing individual modules!) Some of it may be timing, too- I don't know that they expected they'd never need a retail pack price. For sure, they didn't seem to expect to need one so soon.

3) More warranty specificity and possible revision around capacity and degradation.

4) More information on the variables impacting degradation- e.g., how much freeway driving, fast charges, etc. (I actually really like the web app idea for this.)

I expect the latter two will be longer conversations, and the advisory group may be useful for helping to shape at least #4. Either way, I'll keep on it...

I think this was a fantastic start reaching out to this pioneering community. We can drive a ton of business for them...

evchels said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on the video. I knew it wasn't going to be as detailed as some wanted, but I tried to press for as much information as I was reasonably going to get on the spot, while also getting in as many questions as I could in the time we had. As you saw in Jeff's comment, it's already much longer than he imagined! Though I too, told him that the last thing you guys would complain about...

As some have mentioned, there was also the reality that lawyers were only going to let him say so much, especially on camera. As it is, I'm surprised that those who reviewed the video after the fact let it stay intact- though I suspect that Jeff probably has some scars to show for that fight.

2) Battery cost.
As an aside, I too was surprised at Andy's response about not expecting customers to want to replace a whole pack, and we had more discussion about this off-camera. Some of this (and other issues) can be traced to Nissan not understanding their EV customers as well as it should, though this is an industry-wide issue. But at least part of his response was based, imo, in his own engineering bent- that it makes more sense to replace modules than a whole pack. (To which I responded that I'd be happy to start with a price for replacing individual modules!) Some of it may be timing, too- I don't know that they expected they'd never need a retail pack price. For sure, they didn't seem to expect to need one so soon.

3) More warranty specificity and possible revision around capacity and degradation.

4) More information on the variables impacting degradation- e.g., how much freeway driving, fast charges, etc. (I actually really like the web app idea for this.)

I expect the latter two will be longer conversations, and the advisory group may be useful for helping to shape at least #4. Either way, I'll keep on it...

evchels said:

2) Battery cost.

Hi Chelsea, I thought the video was a good start to providing more info. This homework is excellent. There is one question missing, though:

5) When is Nissan going to start marketing the car with more specific information, not just giving those of us on the forum that info? I imagine it is particularly galling for those in Arizona to see the Leaf marketed in exactly the same way in Arizona after all of the info about lost capacity. It seems to me that when you are in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.

surfingslovak said:
EricH said:
If I remember correctly, on occasion I would notice some missing trips in CarWings. There were reports of discrepancies between total recorded mileage on the odometer and in CarWings. Either way, it's relatively easy to confirm this behavior.

Carwings (i think) requires the additional permissions since its accessed thru public networks and can be hacked despite being password protected and so on.

Nissan's intranet where our data is stored is not publicly accessible (as easily as Carwings..nothing is perfectly safe) and i am sure that Nissan is tracking that information. now whether is transmitted thru Carwings directly to Nissan or if just stored and collected during the required annual battery checks, I dont know.

but if Nissan is not collecting that information in one way or another, they have made a great mistake

On the topic of Lease v. Buy

I was as surprised as Nissan was of the large number of individuals that bought this 1st generation car rather than leasing it. To me it seemed illogical that anyone would buy into a first generation highly complex electronic product that had no track record like the LEAF, knowing full well, that it would be superseded by future generations that were cheaper, better, etc.,

Now granted, that bet has worked out for the vast majority of buyers, but still, if you want to get in on the leading edge of a new high-priced product category, leasing is the norm for any sort of evolving technology. I know that is not much of a consolation for those of you that did buy your LEAFs, but still there is nothing holding you back from selling or trading your LEAF at some point when you feel it makes sense to jump to the latest version.

Essentially the LEAF 1 is the equivalent of the original iPhone. It is a perfectly fine product that worked as design, but was quickly superseded by better and cheaper technology.

On the topic of upgrades

The number one ask by buyers of high tech products is if there is an upgrade path for that product. And most high tech products have a modular approach to them that in theory would allow for more current module to be used at a point in the future.

But in reality, when it comes to actually upgrading a product, time and time again, the actual take rate for that upgrade is incredibly low simply because technology advances and cost reductions simply made moving to the technology duJour more appealing than upgrading.

If you survey the automotive landscape, I don't think you will be hard pressed to find any manufacturer that offers any sort of upgrade for any automobile today. It just does not make business sense in most cases.

But with that said, if Nissan chooses not offer some sort of "rejuvenation" program for LEAFs down the line, that simply represents a business opportunity for a 3rd party to fill that niche need. I firmly believe that someone will offer solution in the next 2 ~3 years. This one is another "Be patient and stay tuned" item.

walterbays said:
Randy said:
But because the battery is expensive, and the fact that the price is going to take some time to arrive at tells me that the Nissan cost of the pack is high and they have to determine whether they're going to try and sell it at a profit (and make it even higher priced), sell it at cost, or take a loss when selling a few of them to us owners...

Why else would it take so long to arrive at a price?
I can "answer" that with pure conjecture:

A few years ago car makers looked at the economics of producing EV's. Most of them decided they couldn't make money at it and at best started programs to build a handful of CARB compliance cars. Nissan decided they could make money if several trends were favorable. They set out to try to influence those trends, and to produce the first mass market affordable EV. It was a "bet the company" move that, if successful, would catapult Nissan ahead of Toyota and their hybrid technology.

One big trend they bet on was the decline of battery cost per kWh. Remember when Leaf launched all the discussion about the price, wondering whether they were losing money on each car, and the surprise at how low Leaf's $/kWh figure was compared to other batteries? Getting the net cost down requires the Tennessee plant, economies of scale, and improved chemistry. It also requires secondary use markets, and raw materials recycling for higher trade-in value of the old battery. Economies of scale depend obviously on lots of EV's being sold. But also, only if lots of EV's are sold and are perceived to be increasing in volume, do the investments in improved chemistry research get made, do the deals with electric utilities for secondary storage use get signed, and do the lithium recycling plants get built and scaled up.

So they start out losing money on every car, but don't talk about it. They talk confidently about the line being profitable - thinking of 5 years or 10 years with increasing volumes and falling costs. They know many batteries will be replaced in 10 years and some will even be replaced in 5 years. But they're confident that by that time the costs will have fallen sufficiently, and they plan to set a trade-in price on a remanufactured battery some time between 5 and 10 years from launch.

Then some batteries in Arizona begin degrading faster than they imagined, and customers want to know the cost of new batteries now so we'll have an idea about depreciation of our investments. What can they say? If they use today's actual cost it will drive customers away. If they use the 2021 projected cost a bunch of people will want to trade batteries early to restore minor loss of capacity.

Perhaps they'll end up offering in effect to convert some battery purchases to leases. You pay so much per month, based on the age and mileage of your car, to guarantee a future remanufactured battery to replace your original capacity. The replacement battery would be available sometime between 2016 and 2021 depending on mileage and tested capacity. You might get it sooner if capacity tests abnormally low sooner, with warranty coverage offsetting some of the cost. The lease terms would let people calculate an equivalent retail price of a replacement battery with trade-in. That price would probably be close to Nissan's projected price in that year. But Nissan wouldn't have committed to sell them at that price, nor even to sell them at all. If a new chemistry gave 10% higher kWh per pound Nissan might lower their lease price for new customers going forward. If a major deal fell through with a utility that had planned to reuse old Leaf batteries, Nissan might raise their lease price.

Whether or not they do that for the majority of Leaf owners, they might offer similar deals to the customers worst affected by capacity loss. They'd guarantee restoration of capacity when really needed at a known price. And I wouldn't be surprised if a condition of the deal were to sign a non-disclosure agreement so that the rest of us don't know the price.

Walter, i think you are probably on the right track

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/10/decrepit-battery-pack-destinations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

timhebb said:
How could Nissan have failed to consider any customer demand for battery replacement, but apparently gave some thought to a pack upgrade path? Or, was Andy just smoothly improvising in response to the upgrade question?

Simple: the battery pack is DESIGNED for modular replacement. If I have a failure early on (definitely under warranty), standard procedure would be to replace only the failed module(s). If there are failures down the road (maybe under warranty), I may be more included to UPGRADE the entire pack depending on technology advancements, cost, etc. This question comes up a lot with EVs, and anyone who doesn't recognize this fundamental paradigm shift with respect to ICE cars shouldn't be buying a BEV.

Stanton said:
timhebb said:
How could Nissan have failed to consider any customer demand for battery replacement, but apparently gave some thought to a pack upgrade path? Or, was Andy just smoothly improvising in response to the upgrade question?

Simple: the battery pack is DESIGNED for modular replacement. If I have a failure early on (definitely under warranty), standard procedure would be to replace only the failed module(s). If there are failures down the road (maybe under warranty), I may be more included to UPGRADE the entire pack depending on technology advancements, cost, etc. This question comes up a lot with EVs, and anyone who doesn't recognize this fundamental paradigm shift with respect to ICE cars shouldn't be buying a BEV.

with a 150,000 unit auto plant and a 200,000 battery plant, sounds like they do have the supply line in place (or getting there)

problem with module failure is it is simply pull out the bad, replace with good. degradation is (if the pack is working as designed) is reduced capacity equally among all modules which is entire pack replacement.

now up to now; battery pack supplies have been constrained. the TN plant (which is supposedly been churning out packs for a month or so now) should allow a free flow of packs here soon.

the question of the day; have asked it several times and i am guessing (or hoping!) that i missed the answer yet but how is that battery plant ramp up doing?

anyone have some info on that?? Gary Hill!!! you were just there touring. how many cars were parked in front of the battery plant??

any trucks loading/unloading? plant sounds? metal clanging? anything yet?

OrientExpress said:
On the topic of Lease v. Buy

I was as surprised as Nissan was of the large number of individuals that bought this 1st generation car rather than leasing it. To me it seemed illogical that anyone would buy into a first generation highly complex electronic product that had no track record like the LEAF, knowing full well, that it would be superseded by future generations that were cheaper, better, etc...

Speaking for myself, I leased, in no small part, due to uncertainty as to how The LEAF could handle a rural mountainous region with few public charging opportunities. When I discovered how well my LEAF handled this challenge, I bought simply because the lease rate offered by Nissan was just too high. With the current low lease rates and high residuals, I would probably lease, if I were making the same choice today.

I also figured that, while the LEAF is an excellent low-cost "family truckster", my ideal BEV for longer-range would be something Esflow-sized, with considerably longer freeway range (Maybe even with enough range to reach the ~200 miles North and South, to the nearest DC's, where they are today) So I figured within three years, if better BEVs were available, I'd still keep the LEAF as a second BEV, for larger passenger loads and cargo duties, as it would still be worth much more to me than my ~$15k lease residual.

Well, halfway through my original 36 month lease, I don't see any BEV coming to market in that time frame, that seems to be a much better match for my "ideal" BEV, than my 2011 LEAF. So, while that's a little disappointing, I am still satisfied with my purchase decision.

Thanks Chelsea ,

I think you did a good job and he did avoid the answer on a few of your questions. I think when the advisory board meets ( hope soon) they can put the collective pressure to get answers , rather than leaving you to be the heavy. I see no benefit to brow beating someone. Either they have the answer or they dont and move on. But it would not look good if you are meeting to go over questions and he states I dont have an answer for any of them. Still waiting to see if Nissan does right by its customers.

Back