SOC-LCD-Meter "LeafCAN" with 2x16 Display by lincomatic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremy, Most use a USBTiny or its Chinese Ebay clones.

The Ver 1.3 source code has compile options for ver 1 or ver 2 hardware. In ver 2 the pinputs changed for easier board layout and the display is controlled with a transistor to automatically turn off.

The programming is with Arduino .0023 or ver 1.01. I suggest playing with the source with ver 1.01. With control R you can compile without programming. That way you can play with options.

The OLED display is not officially supported at this time. It is setup for a single color 2 X 16 lcd display. For your RGB you would be on your own. Without modification you will only get red.

I have not been going for very small like Chris or Greg's custom boards. I have found the $6 dollar Ebay ATMega proto boards work very well with an AT90CAN128 chip installed. I have now tried 4 versions and they all work well. AS proto boards all pins are available but since I like the display turn off I have been following the ver 2 schematic.

I'm working on my own "1.3J" version with a simplified display. I'm putting SOC from the 55B message on the left side of the display using large font (see this instructables on how to do large fonts) and pack voltage in the upper right corner.

I want to put pack temp in the bottom right corner of the display, but I don't even know where to start on sending the appropriate CAN message. I'm a heavy quick charge user (40 qc's and counting) and I really want to see what my pack temp is at all times.

Does anyone else want this feature? Has anyone sent messages using the LeafCAN or similar hardware (AT90CAN128)?

GregH said:
JeremyW said:
I want to put pack temp in the bottom right corner of the display, but I don't even know where to start on sending the appropriate CAN message. I'm a heavy quick charge user (40 qc's and counting) and I really want to see what my pack temp is at all times.
Details here..
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11676&p=269432#p269432

I've been reading that thread. :) I just don't know how to "send" anything using this hardware. My coding skills are pretty weak at the moment...

J,
During the next months, we will be trying to improve
the CAN library that we have for the GID-Meter,
first to be able to read and log all messages, rather
than missing some. Second, we will try writing the
Requests to the CAN bus, to get the Pack Temperatures
and the min and max cell-pair voltages.

It would be nice if we could find the tire pressures.

JeremyW said:
Does anyone else want this feature? Has anyone sent messages using the LeafCAN or similar hardware (AT90CAN128)?
+1 - I would rather have this than the number of bars, for example, if it can be made to fit. Also have not had time to dig into the code, but it shouldn't be hard - looks like all the info is available...

Ok the USBtinyISP is ordered, I'm working on the code a little bit at a time every day. Glad to see there is interest. When I've got something that runs, I'll make sure the code gets posted on github. Probably early next week.

Gary- please call me Jeremy, not J. I don't call you G. Thanks.

I have a rewrite of the firmware on the backburner, but it's slow going, unfortunately.. too many other projects and family commitments.
On the plate are selectable screens via a rotary encoder, and a rewrite of the message processing/display loop.
The coding I did initially was just a quick hack.. sorry for the mess.

I haven't yet tried writing to the bus. If anyone gets this working, please send me the code snippet.

lincomatic said:
I have a rewrite of the firmware on the backburner, but it's slow going, unfortunately.. too many other projects and family commitments.
On the plate are selectable screens via a rotary encoder, and a rewrite of the message processing/display loop. ...
8625920887_843e05b9ca_z.jpg

Just received my 3D printed enclosure from Shapeways that features a spot for a RGB rotary encoder
with push to select and clear knob.

Below is a board design that is currently out for production that features encoder and RGB connectors,
and now includes circuitry for either oled or LCD displays
8633348292_837205efb8_z.jpg

Greg C.

Here's an example of my work so far:
kSd27jzl.jpg

Note this is mostly just my display code, I'm still working on the CAN backend. :)

Eventually you'll be able to select what is displayed on the right hand side with a knob (rotary encoder). I have a copy of barbouri's enclosure on order in a gray polished alumide.

How much was the enclosure from Shapeways?
Does it include a screw-on back?
What was the shipping cost?
What would it have been the cost if they made 10 at one time?
Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
How much was the enclosure from Shapeways?
Does it include a screw-on back?
What was the shipping cost?
What would it have been the cost if they made 10 at one time?
Thanks, Gary
Hi Gary,
The cost for one from Shapeways was $25.56 plus $6.50 for shipping.
I doesn't include a back. I made one from scrap white acrylic I had on hand.
There doesn't appear to be a quantity discount when I selected a quantity of 10, same shipping though.
Most of the side walls are near the minimum so this design would not hold up to much abuse.
Just needed to get something so that the board was a little bit better protected.
Once I finish a new LeafCAN board layout, I will most likely design a sturdier enclosure and make the files available.

Greg C.
(Barbouri)

Back