'12 Red SL w/sunroof, side moldings, tint and Juke wheels!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Car Looks Great!! Congrats.. LOVE the sunroof. Please tell me where you had it done and cost?

PatricioEV said:
DSC01657.jpg

CasperNleaf said:
oxo said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Impressive! I never thought such a weird looking car could be made to look so good!

I am a big fan of sunroofs, and miss having one. I would look into doing the same if I weren't leasing the car. FWIW, even in cold upstate NY, a sunroof enhances a car. In the middle of the winter, when it's grey out, every little extra bit of light in the car helps one's mood! And in the summer, you don't even need A/C with a sunroof.

Love the sunroof! Does anyone know for certain if a lease prevents you from making mods like these? The one dealer I asked said as long as it's not adding wear and tear it's no problem and you should be fine at lease turn in time.

If it's a quality sunroof that's professionally installed then you're adding value to the car. Not that I'd spend more than a grand for a vehicle that I don't intend to keep but if you're going to do it the sooner the better.

Hmmm hold on for just a second. You are actually required by NMAC (Nissan's lease company) to get authorization to make any customizations to the vehicle. Very unlikely that they would approve an aftermarket sunroof on a car like this, but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Bateman said:
Hmmm hold on for just a second. You are actually required by NMAC (Nissan's lease company) to get authorization to make any customizations to the vehicle. Very unlikely that they would approve an aftermarket sunroof on a car like this, but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Ok, let me share some love then! :) I spent the morning on the phone back and forth with Nissan's Lease Customer Network and Alliance Inspection who inspect all turned in vehicles at the end of the lease. What I was finally told was as long as it's a professional installation and there are no issues with the roof like it leaking, not working properly or a botched install, when the vehicle is turned back in, then there will be no charge and it is okay to have installed one. I was also given assurances by a Sr Representative named Sharlton King at the Nissan Lease Customer Network at 800/778-4211 that I should call him after I had the lease in place so he could document that my particular vehicle had the roof and that I would not be charged at turn in, if it was as described above. By the same token, he explained that there could be a charge if it leaked or didn't work properly or was a butcher job install. So, it seems like a go!

*AND* it's only fitting that it be paid for with VPP savings, since Nissan and every other car mfg is way overly paranoid to put a sunroof in anything they are trying to squeeze mileage figures out of. Even a Ford C-Max advertises one but it doesn't open - it's just a fixed glass panel.

Not what you were hoping for on a perfect 75 degree evening while driving along the road next to the Ocean. :mrgreen:

oxo said:
Bateman said:

Ok, let me share some love then! :) I spent the morning on the phone back and forth with Nissan's Lease Customer Network and Alliance Inspection who inspect all turned in vehicles at the end of the lease. What I was finally told was as long as it's a professional installation and there are no issues with the roof like it leaking, not working properly or a botched install, when the vehicle is turned back in, then there will be no charge and it is okay to have installed one. I was also given assurances by a Sr Representative named Sharlton King at the Nissan Lease Customer Network at 800/778-4211 that I should call him after I had the lease in place so he could document that my particular vehicle had the roof and that I would not be charged at turn in, if it was as described above. By the same token, he explained that there could be a charge if it leaked or didn't work properly or was a butcher job install. So, it seems like a go!

That's awesome news! It seems silly that the Leaf isn't offered with a factory sunroof option. Seems like a great car for it. I've learned something new today, and if NMAC will really document that the alteration is approved, you've really done well in this situation. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back