GE WattStation Problem Thread (Was: Dead on Day 2 of use.)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I have read this entire thread. I am taking delivery of my new 2013 Leaf next Week. So I am getting the garage ready. Outlet installed on Money and I was about to order the WATTSTATION today. What is the verdict? Was it software, Diode, or WattStation? Kinda dont want to have a problem right off!
I test drove a leaf for a couple days. I used the trikle charger ar home, a blink at work and the dealer was using an AV Nissan charger. Car worked fine. SO whats the deal? WATT should I do?

LUXMAN

LUXMAN said:
OK. I have read this entire thread. I am taking delivery of my new 2013 Leaf next Week. So I am getting the garage ready. Outlet installed on Money and I was about to order the WATTSTATION today. What is the verdict? Was it software, Diode, or WattStation? Kinda dont want to have a problem right off!
I test drove a leaf for a couple days. I used the trikle charger ar home, a blink at work and the dealer was using an AV Nissan charger. Car worked fine. SO whats the deal? WATT should I do?

LUXMAN

Well, I'd hope the 2013 has the fix already included, but who knows... We had a Wattstation put in last month, I just haven't been using the on/off button on it, since there seemed to be some estimation that it was the source of the problem. Haven't fried our 2012 SL yet, I asked the dealer for the update, couldn't get it, so if it fries and Nissan has to eat the cost, well, I tried...

LUXMAN said:

LUXMAN
At this point the issues have been sorted out. The only thing I would watch is that Wattstation power switch is not cycled while plugged in and Wattstation is fully ready to charge when you plug in.

Otherwise just plug in with confidence and drive.

LUXMAN said:

LUXMAN

My understanding so far is that the WattStation is correctly following the j1772 standard, but the LEAF's onboard charger needed a tweak. Iirc, there have been more than one "tweak" and I'm not sure the definitive fix has yet been arrived at.

It should be noted that the LEAF problem has occurred with other EVSE as well, so not limited to WattStation. However due to the preponderance of events associated with use of WattStation I personally would steer clear even though there is nothing to suggest that the GE product itself has any flaw. Why risk a hassle when there are a number of other good choices?

When I have looked at reviews at Lowes.com and Homedepot.com, people love the WattStation with one that had a problem that led me to this discussion. The other units had other problems that made me think the GE was the best. For example, the people using the Siemens unit were having trouble getting the connect to go in the plug, with one guy even suggesting using vasoline to help it go in!. So at 849-10% miltary=775, I thought the WattStation with Good reviews was a no brainer til I ran across this. and they want 1050 for the AV with a plug!

How has the AeroViroment Unit performed?

And how do they justify higher price?

or what abou the Leviton Evr-Green 32 Amp Level 2 Unit at Homedepot?

Or the Eaton?

My head is starting to hurt :eek:

I say if you want the Wattstation, get the Wattstation, and just don't push the on/off button. The LEDs act as a night light for the garage. :)

What about evseupgrade, LUXMAN?

That's what I went with after I was pointed to this thread last year. If inexpensive is what you're looking for, it's the best way to go.

I can report that mine worked just fine and dandy -- and probably would still be if Ecotality hadn't given me a Blink for cheap (unfortunately, the Ecotality website reports that as of March 13, 2013, they have met the EV Project goal so that's not an option anymore).

Have seen the upgrade. Really want a solution for garage since we will prob get anothe EV or plug in hybrid in future.
Called Nissan dealer service today. They did reasearch and called me back. Said there was only a problem with the 11 plus some other brands. And said they don't have an issue with me using it. He didn't say anything about the software. So it's on them.
Plus talked to 3 people who have or know someone who does and have no problems. So I decided to go with the watt station. I feel these things are over priced for what they are and got this one for 764+tax.
Thanks for the input.
Luxman

Hopefully this is the right topic for this question. There is a supermarket chain in our area that has installed three Wattstations at one of their area stores, with free charging, and I'd like to use one when visiting that city. How safe is this going to be? I have a 2013 SV with no QC (if that matters). Do I have to worry that somebody walking by and pressing the power button on the station will brick my car, or that a brief power fluctuation will do the same? I'm hoping that Nissan applied a fix to the 2013 models, but see no indication that they have resolved the issue.

^^^
I don't think we know. Do they physically resemble the home EVSEs (http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Residential-Electric-Vehicle-EV-30-Amp-Level-2-Indoor-Outdoor-Watt-Station-with-Plug-EVWSWBC-CP01/203001939#.Ua2R_tj4Ijk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? We don't know how similar the commercial units are vs. residential.

As for '13 Leafs, well, the OBC is totally different and integrated into the PDM (IIRC) under the hood vs. being in the back in the '11-12 units. And, supposedly Nichicon lost the contract for the OBC in the '13 Leaf. They made the ones in the '11-'12.

And, AFAIK, there's still been no word about any sort of update rolled out to everyone to prevent the blown diodes on the '11 and '12 Leafs.

cwerdna said:
^^^
I don't think we know. Do they physically resemble the home EVSEs (http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Residential-Electric-Vehicle-EV-30-Amp-Level-2-Indoor-Outdoor-Watt-Station-with-Plug-EVWSWBC-CP01/203001939#.Ua2R_tj4Ijk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? We don't know how similar the commercial units are vs. residential.

As for '13 Leafs, well, the OBC is totally different and integrated into the PDM (IIRC) under the hood vs. being in the back in the '11-12 units. And, supposedly Nichicon lost the contract for the OBC in the '13 Leaf. They made the ones in the '11-'12.

And, AFAIK, there's still been no word about any sort of update rolled out to everyone to prevent the blown diodes on the '11 and '12 Leafs.

The photos on Plugshare look the same as the home units, but they aren't quite good enough to be sure. I guess it's good news for me that the 2013 OBC is different...

I've seen pics of the commercial ones that look like the ones on the left side of http://www.geindustrial.com/products/static/ecomagination-electric-vehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Some more pics at http://priuschat.com/threads/2013-toyota-rav4-ev-driving-impression-review.124335/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They look kinda neat lit up at night like that.

Does anyone have the contact # for GE? Specifically, the one that had someone willing to replace a defective Wattstation. Mine won't charge my Leaf anymore. Every other Level 2 I have tried has worked flawlessly. Only my Wattstation fails. I have had the Nissan in for reprogramming which worked for a couple months, but after that, when I took it back in to Nissan, they said the problem is the GE not the Nissan.

Is it 888-437-3765?

cwerdna said:
...And, AFAIK, there's still been no word about any sort of update rolled out to everyone to prevent the blown diodes on the '11 and '12 Leafs.
My recollection is that the P3227 update was supposed to fix OBC/EVSE incompatibility problems on 2011/2012 LEAFs.

Given that it drastically reduces regen braking, I recommend against getting the update unless one is up for warranty battery replacement, for which it is required for more accurate battery capacity measurement. I regret having had the update done.

i have been using the GE Wattstation as my primary charger for my 2012 Leaf for 2 years with NO issues. it is installed at my home and has never had any type of issue. i am now using it on my 2013 Leaf with NO issues.

Has anyone found a WattStation schematic ?
Or a manual with some tech detail ?
Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Back