I just loss my 4th bar, could there be a 5th loss bar not

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
I wonder if they'll be using the redesigned '13 LEAF modules for these replacements rather than the '11-12 LEAF modules? They're supposed to drop on in, and if it's only going to take 10 days to get the pack I must be getting shipped domestically via freight...
Surely they aren't still making the old packs. And I doubt that it made much sense to store any extra old style packs that were made since they degrade with time. So, my guess is that the replacement will be a 2013 pack, although I don't know how one would tell without dropping the car bottom plate and taking a look. Could be wrong though...

If the pack case is light grey, it is the Gen 1 pack. If the pack case is black, then it is the Gen 2 pack. They are interchangeable with the old packs, but the guts are the new design used in the 2013 cars. My sources say that the replacement packs will be the most current revision of the Gen 2 pack.

Only in changes to slightly reduce weight and make manufacturing easier and cheaper. No real practical differences otherwise.

Stoaty said:
How does the most current revision of the Gen 2 pack differ from the original Gen 2 pack?

So if the new pack will easily get through the warranty.... Is it thinkable to delay replacement to near the warranty end?
I want mine replaced at 59,500 miles ;) assuming I can put up with the range.

It would be fun to make then replace mine just before the lease was up!

smkettner said:
So if the new pack will easily get through the warranty.... Is it thinkable to delay replacement to near the warranty end?
I want mine replaced at 59,500 miles ;) assuming I can put up with the range.

That is the risk. The sooner it is replaced the more likely to get a new battery. The more leases turned in the more 9 or 10 bar batteries will be available for swap.

Yeah, at 6.25% per bar, a battery that took you from 8 to 9 would be essentially worthless.

smkettner said:
That is the risk. The sooner it is replaced the more likely to get a new battery. The more leases turned in the more 9 or 10 bar batteries will be available for swap.

TomT said:
Only in changes to slightly reduce weight and make manufacturing easier and cheaper. No real practical differences otherwise.
They made a change to reduce weight between the original Gen 2 pack and the current Gen 2 pack (not between Gen 1 pack and Gen 2 pack)?

The Gen 2 (black) packs have only been installed in the 2013 cars world-wide. As with any automotive component there are continuous revisions that are rolled into production all the time. These revisions can be for anything from a different component supplier, to cost, weight, or reliability improvements.
2011 & 2012 cars are essentially the same major assembly, but you can be sure that the last 2012 Gen 1 pack had many many production revisions in it compared to the early 2011 Gen 1 pack.

Just a update for a few questions I found here .. Cost of battery is now $10k .. The dealership is disappointed because Nissan is only paying the dealer for the labor ...

I also ask about the best options I have with a new battery, should I wait until the summer is over then go for a new battery or get it done as soon as possible...I was told to get it done as soon as possible, if the new battery also fails after 26000 miles I will still be eligible for another free replacement ..

Since E-Cars are still so new, Ill wait until the 3rd battery is installed and then look at the options for my next E-Car.. I will go with a Leaf if it has proper cooling, otherwise Ill look else where.. I may also consider the range of the car.. I would pay more for a bigger battery ...

mark1313 said:
Just a update for a few questions I found here .. Cost of battery is now $10k .. The dealership is disappointed because Nissan is only paying the dealer for the labor ...
What else do they want? Do they expect to receive a mark-up on the part which Nissan is providing? To me that would only make sense if the dealership stocked the part.

OP...after that bombshell, you need to come back and explain the $10k. Is that a verbal quote? Written quote? DETAILS, MAN, DETAILS!!! This might be the first official acknowledgment of a replacement pack price.

As to whether it's what I expected...Well, it was higher than I'd hoped for. But I don't think it's out of line for right now. And down on an estimated price of $15-18k from a year or so ago. So in a couple of years time, when many more of us believe we're ready for new packs...it does bode well for the price I WAS hoping to see ($5-6k) being achievable.

mark1313 said:
This is huge. Everyone has been yelling at Nissan to give a price. Did they? Have they published a price for the battery? Is this official? This should calm many nerves who supposedly just wanted a number. 10k is certainly a number.

mark1313 said:
if the new battery also fails after 26000 miles I will still be eligible for another free replacement ..

By that time, I imagine they will have more used batteries laying around and that free replacement could be a refurbished 9 or 10-bar one.

Nonetheless, keep us posted. Based on what you wrote, sounds like a possible $10K + labor with a battery exchange. Try to get a sense of what that labor cost is. You have a large crowd that wants to know.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's very helpful to the community.

OrientExpress said:
The Gen 2 (black) packs have only been installed in the 2013 cars world-wide. As with any automotive component there are continuous revisions that are rolled into production all the time. These revisions can be for anything from a different component supplier, to cost, weight, or reliability improvements.
2011 & 2012 cars are essentially the same major assembly, but you can be sure that the last 2012 Gen 1 pack had many many production revisions in it compared to the early 2011 Gen 1 pack.
One of the improvements in the newer packs: the LEAF tech I spoke with last week mentioned that the it is easier to reassemble the 2013 packs than the 2011/2012 packs. The 2013 cans and connections were designed to fit together more easily.

TomT said:
Yeah, at 6.25% per bar, a battery that took you from 8 to 9 would be essentially worthless.

smkettner said:

If Nissan is going to just put in a 9 bar battery there is still incentive to replace just before warranty expires.
If you had a 5 bar battery.... going to 9/10 would be a marked improvement.

Or was that $10k number just someone at the dealership flapping their gums?

It will be interesting to see what they do with the lease turnbacks. I can't see them being an easy sell with less than a full 12 bars. Kind of flies in the face of the whole "certified preowned" schtick.

Back