Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
If would be helpful if you unchecked the "Hide Connect Sts" in the Settings/Screen panel. Then see if the boop happens at a fixed step number displayed after the green Connected status.
Done. :)

Well, I was wrong - nothing to do with the service menu. It was just the first thing I tried in the new app version with the car running. Turns out, it boops every 10 seconds or so, no pattern with the connection status (which I always have showing anyway, not sure what it does while hidden). On the driving screen, I discovered the problem: tire pressure! The top two numbers are correct, but the bottom two report very strangely - I believe it showed 34 PSI and 1 PSI (the top two were as expected, about 44). If they were that low, I'd have a dash indicator, and definitely wouldn't be driving.

Curiously, this happened both before and after my short 16mph test drive down my street and back, so the tires were activated to get a reading. I haven't seen this condition before on previous drives - the tire pressures were either stale or not shown at all ("--", I think).

It was definitely an alarm for tire pressure, though - and since my tablet connects audio through Bluetooth to the stereo, it played the alert sound over the speakers :lol:

edit: Attached screenshot, taken just now with the last data received while at the car.

Attachments

• 2013-08-30 00.49.45.png
    2013-08-30 00.49.45.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 137
If you take an ELM Trace while driving I would be able to look at what raw tire pressure numbers the car is sending.

I will also take a test drive tomorrow to be sure I did not mess something up with the latest changes.

Regarding font size ... would it be possible to capture the current setting when your app opens, set it to Normal, and then restore the previous setting when the app exits?

Love the app, and the great work you're doing developing features!

Cheers ... Michael

Few weird things with latest beta...
1. Outside temperature while charging is showing wrong value... almost seems like it is C instead of F (Image 1).
2. The cell voltages display sometimes jumps and fill in fully (Image 2)
3. I have a FastCharger communication problem error code (awesome feature-works!) But Clear DTCs is always disabled for me for some reason, so I can't clear this error code...
4. Not version specific and minor, but when upgrading to new version some (not all) of the settings are getting lost, here's the one I noticed: saved DTE value (red triangle on bottom is always resets to 0, while SOC triangle is saved after installing new version); PSI alarm settings - always resets to 38 and no delta warning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-30-07-38-53.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-30-07-38-53.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_2013-08-30-08-25-54.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-30-08-25-54.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 93
UkrainianKozak said:
1. Outside temperature while charging is showing wrong value... almost seems like it is C instead of F (Image 1).
3. I have a FastCharger communication problem error code (awesome feature-works!) But Clear DTCs is always disabled for me for some reason, so I can't clear this error code...
4. Not version specific and minor, but when upgrading to new version some (not all) of the settings are getting lost, here's the one I noticed: saved DTE value (red triangle on bottom is always resets to 0, while SOC triangle is saved after installing new version); PSI alarm settings - always resets to 38 and no delta warning.
Resetting of DTCs is not currently supported. It will be added in a future version.

I will look into the other issues.

Took an ELM trace during charging and the Leaf reports a raw ambient of 0x3F which is 21 F. If I turn the car on while charging I get a good reading of 0x76 which is 76 F. If I then turn the car off it still reports 0x76. So my only option is to disable reading the ambient while the car is off.

For temperature thing... It really looks like celcius to me...
Id does change when temperature changes...
It was reporting 19 at the beginning of the charge and 20 later on when it warmed up a little...
I just wonder if this is a "bug" in leaf, so C=>F conversion only happening when the car is on and teperature is reported back...or something like it...

Turbo3 said:
UkrainianKozak said:
Resetting of DTCs is not currently supported. It will be added in a future version.

I will look into the other issues.

Took an ELM trace during charging and the Leaf reports a raw ambient of 0x3F which is 21 F. If I turn the car on while charging I get a good reading of 0x76 which is 76 F. If I then turn the car off it still reports 0x76. So my only option is to disable reading the ambient while the car is off.

UkrainianKozak said:
For temperature thing... It really looks like celcius to me...
Id does change when temperature changes...
It was reporting 19 at the beginning of the charge and 20 later on when it warmed up a little...
I just wonder if this is a "bug" in leaf, so C=>F conversion only happening when the car is on and teperature is reported back...or something like it...
It would be interesting to know if a 2013 Leaf reported the same ambient temperature or not. They use a different message format so if it was a bug they might have fixed it.

Can someone with a 2013 Leaf run the app during charging and see what the app reports for ambient temp?

I've noticed another small bug that's come up in the latest version... getting the app to "exit" is getting to be a bit of a challenge. I still wish the app would only run in the foreground (and automatically exit when pushed to the background), but I can deal with using "back" to full-quit the program. That is, when it doesn't ask me twice. :lol: Seems like most of the time when I try to quit the program now, it ignores the first time I say "Yes" I want to quit. It just flat-out does nothing when I say "yes" to quit, and I have to hit "back" and "yes" again to (usually, finally) quit the app. Last night I actually had to do that 3 times! :lol: Not sure what causes it, but it might be a "back" layering issue relative to the settings/service sub-menus - just my random guess. :)

The Leaf Batter app is awesome. Thanks for all the hard work Turbo3. Here are my two nit improvement suggestions (I am currently running v0.26 n9 but these are not specific to this ver):
1) Screen 4 misreads my swipes as taps. If I am swiping left to go from screen 4 to screen 1, I generally start the swipe on the right. The swipe is usually read as a tap on the temp/PSI area or a tap in the LBW/VLBW area.
2) Screen 2's left axis should be labeled "Cell Pair Count".

Dumb question: How do I get to the Service Menu? I have v0.26n9, but there is no 5th screen. I looked in the settings and I don't see what I'm missing.

LittleChap said:
Regarding font size ... would it be possible to capture the current setting when your app opens, set it to Normal, and then restore the previous setting when the app exits?

Love the app, and the great work you're doing developing features!

Cheers ... Michael
Unfortunately that is a System setting that an app can not change. Only read it.

patrick0101 said:
The Leaf Batter app is awesome. Thanks for all the hard work Turbo3. Here are my two nit improvement suggestions (I am currently running v0.26 n9 but these are not specific to this ver):
1) Screen 4 misreads my swipes as taps. If I am swiping left to go from screen 4 to screen 1, I generally start the swipe on the right. The swipe is usually read as a tap on the temp/PSI area or a tap in the LBW/VLBW area.
2) Screen 2's left axis should be labeled "Cell Pair Count".
1) It is not a good idea to swipe starting over a clickable area as the click function will take the input before the swipe function ever sees it. So on screen 4 you should swipe over the battery area as there are no clickable areas there. You can also just tap center bottom area to move one screen ahead or do a long tap to move one screen back.
2) Fixed. Will now say "Cell Pair Count (xxx mV Scale)"

patrick0101 said:

I have the same issue trying to swipe from screen 4 to screen 1. It seems that I only really use screen 1 (for batt health, capacity and amp hours) and screen 4. It would be nice if there was a feature to "turn off" screen two & three, so we could alternate more easily between screen 1 and 4 and that way, we could swipe in the opposite direction (from left to right) to pull up the other screen and not have it recognized as taps on screen 4.

FalconFour said:
I've noticed another small bug that's come up in the latest version... getting the app to "exit" is getting to be a bit of a challenge. I still wish the app would only run in the foreground (and automatically exit when pushed to the background), but I can deal with using "back" to full-quit the program. That is, when it doesn't ask me twice. :lol: Seems like most of the time when I try to quit the program now, it ignores the first time I say "Yes" I want to quit. It just flat-out does nothing when I say "yes" to quit, and I have to hit "back" and "yes" again to (usually, finally) quit the app. Last night I actually had to do that 3 times! :lol: Not sure what causes it, but it might be a "back" layering issue relative to the settings/service sub-menus - just my random guess. :)

I'm seeing this as well.

vrwl said:
It seems that I only really use screen 1 (for batt health, capacity and amp hours) and screen 4. It would be nice if there was a feature to "turn off" screen two & three, so we could alternate more easily between screen 1 and 4...
Same... 2 and 3 are redundant to the data already on pages 1 and 4, IMO, so I don't use 'em (then again, 4 was in part my idea, so I may be biased). I could actually go with a button instead of a swipe. Next beta, maybe. :cool:

FalconFour said:
vrwl said:
It seems that I only really use screen 1 (for batt health, capacity and amp hours) and screen 4. It would be nice if there was a feature to "turn off" screen two & three, so we could alternate more easily between screen 1 and 4...
Same... 2 and 3 are redundant to the data already on pages 1 and 4, IMO, so I don't use 'em (then again, 4 was in part my idea, so I may be biased). I could actually go with a button instead of a swipe. Next beta, maybe. :cool:

Currently, to get from 4 to 1, I tap the set of four dots in the lower left corner. That takes you to screen one. Then to go back from 1 to 4, I use the swipe backwards. It works just fine like that, but I'd love a cleaner swipe action from 4 to 1. I'll give what Jim said a try and see if I can find that sweet spot on the screen for swiping. :)

patrick0101 said:
Dumb question: How do I get to the Service Menu? I have v0.26n9, but there is no 5th screen. I looked in the settings and I don't see what I'm missing.

do you mean settings? it would be the normal settings or menu button on your phone for any context settings for apps. on mine its the button on the lower left hand corner

vrwl said:
FalconFour said:
vrwl said:

Currently, to get from 4 to 1, I tap the set of four dots in the lower left corner. That takes you to screen one. Then to go back from 1 to 4, I use the swipe backwards. It works just fine like that, but I'd love a cleaner swipe action from 4 to 1. I'll give what Jim said a try and see if I can find that sweet spot on the screen for swiping. :)
There is already a non-visible button to go between screens.

It is at the bottom of the screen (black background area) starting from the page dot area and extending to the version number in the middle.

Tap that area to move ahead one screen or tap and hold to move back one screen.

Everyone knows about this area, right? It was asked for many weeks ago and has been there for a long time now.

Back