Down 5 bars at 141,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everything is conjecture at this point but I blogged about using the new 30 kwh packs in existing LEAFs since it likely only needs SW tweaks to work. They are reputed to have same size, weight and footprint so minimal mechanical retrofits needed and I also think it counterproductive for Nissan to continue with 24 kwh packs for warranty purposes so I am predicting 30 kwh packs will be substituted when the price is right which I expect to be fairly soon.

Now all this assumes the 24 kwh pack is going away soon which I believe to be true. Because batteries have to be produced in batches, I believe that Nissan will stop making the modules that make the 24 kwh packs soon if they have not already done so and when what is in the pipeline is exhausted, they will switch to the 30 kwh modules

DaveinOlyWA said:
.... but I blogged about using the new 30 kwh packs in existing LEAFs since it likely only needs SW tweaks to work.
True, but then again, this is the company that wouldn't update the software in the 11/12 models to add a battery percent gauge. :evil:
I do think that they might get to a point that they use the 30KWh packs for replacements as that's what they are producing, but I imagine they will be treated by the car as a 24KWh pack.

Love to be wrong tho..

desiv

desiv said:
I do think that they might get to a point that they use the 30KWh packs for replacements as that's what they are producing, but I imagine they will be treated by the car as a 24KWh pack.

Love to be wrong tho..

desiv

But that at least may mean that no '11/'12 owner, even in the worst climate for the LEAF, would see any degradation for a very, very, very long time. Especially so if the '15 and on packs behave that much better over the long term.

Hi All - yes, I am driving the 2011 as much as possible to keep the miles off the 2014. When I bought the car, my plan was to save as much as I spent. That doesn't look feasible without replacing the battery and going another 150,000 and even then it would be close. No matter how many miles I put on it, the KBB value isn't likely to fall much further now. I am being stubborn, sometimes spending an extra hour going each way. I would like to get to 150,000 miles before the colder, wetter weather arrives.

I am hopeful the new 30Kwh will fit in the 2011. In the Arizona meeting a couple of years ago, there was a discussion about different battery capacities. Most agreed that it would be wise to stick to one flavor. Mr. Palmer is gone now so I don't know if that will mean anything. Going to 30kwh will allow me more miles before I reach this battery capacity.

On the lack of regen, I wonder if it is related to the strongly pulsating brakes when battery is LBW or below and brakes are applied lightly. This may become a safety issue that could result in a mandatory fix? Would that have to be a new battery? Idle speculation.

Just trying to hang in there until new batteries are "announced" and there is clarity on replacement option.

TaylorSFGuy said:
On the lack of regen, I wonder if it is related to the strongly pulsating brakes when battery is LBW or below and brakes are applied lightly. This may become a safety issue that could result in a mandatory fix? Would that have to be a new battery? Idle speculation.
That shouldn't happen at all. I would definitely take it to the dealer to see what they think of it.

The strength of regenerative braking fades with battery capacity. This makes sense since the internal resistance of the battery goes up as it ages. But IMO, Nissan was way too aggressive with the amount of regen they pull, especially when you consider that they also significantly reduce available regen at higher speeds.

TaylorSFGuy said:
Hi All - yes, I am driving the 2011 as much as possible to keep the miles off the 2014. When I bought the car, my plan was to save as much as I spent. That doesn't look feasible without replacing the battery and going another 150,000 and even then it would be close. No matter how many miles I put on it, the KBB value isn't likely to fall much further now. I am being stubborn, sometimes spending an extra hour going each way. I would like to get to 150,000 miles before the colder, wetter weather arrives.

I am hopeful the new 30Kwh will fit in the 2011. In the Arizona meeting a couple of years ago, there was a discussion about different battery capacities. Most agreed that it would be wise to stick to one flavor. Mr. Palmer is gone now so I don't know if that will mean anything. Going to 30kwh will allow me more miles before I reach this battery capacity.

Just trying to hang in there until new batteries are "announced" and there is clarity on replacement option.

I am still likely 6 months from having to charge nearly daily on the road maybe... but because of a quirk in my verizon data plan, I now have a lot more data for less money so already plan to simply get work down while charging that I would normally have to take time to do at home so I would be ok with random stops. I really wish Blink and their per kwh fast chargers were in better shape since I won't charge at a flat rate location especially when I only need 10-15 mins in most cases.

But I have a plan. as it is, my lease mileage is way short of what I need so probably will gas it a lot more during Winter to prevent my on the road charging episodes, so plan; under 120 miles in Summer or under 75 miles in Winter, LEAF it!!

Final note; keep in mind that a replacement pack will perform MUCH better than your first edition 2011 pack... I would negotiate some advertising rights... After all, you are unique in the LEAF World and they can get value from that and its only fair that you get a share of that value!

desiv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
.... but I blogged about using the new 30 kwh packs in existing LEAFs since it likely only needs SW tweaks to work.
True, but then again, this is the company that wouldn't update the software in the 11/12 models to add a battery percent gauge. :evil:

Love to be wrong tho..

desiv

and I could be wrong as well. my theory is based on the 24 kwh pack going away. Now if they keep it for a smaller platform car or a super cheap LEAF trim, then a retrofit is not going to happen so it all hinges on how much longer the 24 kwh pack will remain. I am betting its demise to be the 2016 S trim...

DaveinOlyWA said:
...Now all this assumes the 24 kwh pack is going away soon which I believe to be true. Because batteries have to be produced in batches, I believe that Nissan will stop making the modules that make the 24 kwh packs soon if they have not already done so and when what is in the pipeline is exhausted, they will switch to the 30 kwh modules

I don't think the 24kWh packs are going away soon, the factories are amortised and Mn chemistry is both safer and cheaper than NMC.
I do expect the 30kWh packs to be compatible with the 24kWh packs, just at a significantly higher price
- higher cost per kWh
- higher amount of kWh
also i expect the 30kWh to be supply limited for the 1st year, if the cells come from a new supplier like LG.

Back