Looking at a 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingroundeffect said:
Most every car i am looking at will be in the oklahoma, texas, kansas area. General summer temps in the 90’s. We have not had many scorchers the last 5 years above 100 for more than a day or 2.
Just keep checking. Once a dealership has had the same car for a few months, they'll get wise. Let them know that you read the monthly auction values and know EXACTLY what they paid. No dealer will get less than $3000 profit on a used Leaf right now. The used values have actually gone up slightly. Come December, I would expect many dealerships will be more interested in dealing.

Unfortunately, in OK you should definitely expect significant battery degradation in 3-5 years for a Leaf. You might be better off paying more for a used Volt with a battery temperature control. It really depends on your personal situation, driving needs, etc.

Reddy said:
Ingroundeffect said:
Most every car i am looking at will be in the oklahoma, texas, kansas area. General summer temps in the 90’s. We have not had many scorchers the last 5 years above 100 for more than a day or 2.
Just keep checking. Once a dealership has had the same car for a few months, they'll get wise. Let them know that you read the monthly auction values and know EXACTLY what they paid. No dealer will get less than $3000 profit on a used Leaf right now. The used values have actually gone up slightly. Come December, I would expect many dealerships will be more interested in dealing.

Unfortunately, in OK you should definitely expect significant battery degradation in 3-5 years for a Leaf. You might be better off paying more for a used Volt with a battery temperature control. It really depends on your personal situation, driving needs, etc.

Reddy, how do you see the local auction values?

Problem with the Volt is that it only seats 4. I have 3 kids and on occasion need all 3 in the back. Also Oklahoma has age/weight limits on who can ride in the front seat of a car. I must have a car that seats 5. There are a few on my radar now in the sub $14k range that are 2015’s with battery warrantys. Will have to tow them back though as an 80 mile at best range is not very doable on a trip of 2-400 miles.

I drove a new 2018 SV today and tried to get it for $28,000 out the door before fed rebates and it was a no go. Also found out the 2018 sv’s dont have seat heaters. Seriously, wtf. Just about every 13-15 sv i look at has seat heaters. The new SL models are out of my range. I have talked myself into the idea of a ~$200 a month payment to offset what i spend in gas+oil etc. Bumping that to $450/m for 6 years. Not interested. I am just about to send the last check on my wifes car and will be very happy to keep that $500 a month.

I really want a Chevy Bolt and was looking hard at those. Performance and range is soooo much better than the leaf. The rear seat also has more space than the leaf. But the 2 biggest drawbacks are price and lack of cargo area with the seats up. I have 2 car seats in all the time and regularly go to Sams or Costco with kids. No way i could fit what i buy in the cargo area of the bolt. The leaf is pushing it. Plus, the used market for Bolts is horrible. They are still new enough that the used prices arent far from new once you factor in rebates.

I dont think i mentioned it before but currently i drive a 2004 Subaru Forester XT with a VF39 turbo and STi intercooler on a lowered suspension. Car makes 300+ HP and is a blast to drive and i have no intention of selling it. But 20mpg and filling up 3-4 times a month is starting to take its toll. With my prior job it was maybe 1-2 times a month.

Ingroundeffect said:
Problem with the Volt is that it only seats 4. I have 3 kids and on occasion need all 3 in the back. Also Oklahoma has age/weight limits on who can ride in the front seat of a car. I must have a car that seats 5. There are a few on my radar now in the sub $14k range that are 2015’s with battery warrantys. Will have to tow them back though as an 80 mile at best range is not very doable on a trip of 2-400 miles.

I drove a new 2018 SV today and tried to get it for $28,000 out the door before fed rebates and it was a no go. Also found out the 2018 sv’s dont have seat heaters. Seriously, wtf. Just about every 13-15 sv i look at has seat heaters. The new SL models are out of my range.
Gen 2 Volt (model year 2016 to current) adds sort of a middle rear seat.

As for '18 Leaf SV and seat heaters, they're part of the SV All Weather Package. See specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2018-nissan-leaf-press-kit. But, it's front heated seats only. IIRC, you cannot get rear heated seat on any '18 Leaf.

I am sure there is a kb on this, if so please point me to it.

Other than the battery chem changes, are there any differences between a 2013 Leaf SL and a 2015 SL?

Meaning, if i buy a 2013 Leaf SL with max options will it be the same as a 2015 SL with max options?

Ingroundeffect said:
I am sure there is a kb on this, if so please point me to it.

Other than the battery chem changes, are there any differences between a 2013 Leaf SL and a 2015 SL?

Meaning, if i buy a 2013 Leaf SL with max options will it be the same as a 2015 SL with max options?
I don't recall 100% (don't want to give you incorrect info) but you can look at the text and Specs tabs of these:

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2014-nissan-leaf-press-kit
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit

There were changes on the '15 S (addition of cruise control and B-mode) per http://www.plugincars.com/2015-nissan-leaf-features-and-pricing.html. And, it sounds like the nav system has been improved on the '15, in terms of voice control
Other changes to the base level 2015 Nissan Leaf include a more aggressive regenerative (“B” for braking) mode and standard cruise control. Voice-to-text messaging and navigation voice command are added to SV and SL models. The SV also now gets 17-inch aluminum allow wheels.
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit says
Enhancements for 2015 include a new MorningSky Blue exterior color (late availability), the addition of Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant and Voice Destination Entry for SV and SL grades, and new standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels for the SV grade (late availability).
Added to the EV-IT system for 2015 are Voice Destination Entry (VDE) and Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant (part of NissanConnectSM), drivers can manage incoming text messages via voice control without taking their hands from the wheel or eyes off the road. Drivers are alerted to an incoming text and, after initiating the system, can hear the text read out loud and respond via voice recognition, or via the steering wheel switches using pre-set answers such as "driving, can't text," "on my way," "running late," "okay" or a custom message.
The nav system on my '13 SV premium is crappy in terms of voice commands. The ones that are available are almost useless. One can't even enter an address by voice (I could w/my 06 Prius). I definitely don't have any of the above on my '13 SV.

On '14+ model years, you will lose the ability to limit charging to 80% (https://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-mostly-unchanged-as-range-technically-moves-up-to-84-miles/).

LeftieBiker said:
Wasn't the rear seat heating dropped in 2015?
No. Model year '16 is where they started not including rear heated seats on some trims. See http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2016-nissan-leaf-press-kit, Specs tab. It's only included on SL. Compare to '15 press kit.

Fast forward to model year '18 and you can't rear heated seats on any trim.

I have looked at a couple of 2015 SL Certified Nissan Leafs. After looking at what the "Certified Pre Owned" Nissan program covers makes me believe that it is a complete joke of a program for the Leaf. It covers NOTHING for the car. Does not cover the battery or any of the important drive parts.

Ingroundeffect said:
I have looked at a couple of 2015 SL Certified Nissan Leafs. After looking at what the "Certified Pre Owned" Nissan program covers makes me believe that it is a complete joke of a program for the Leaf. It covers NOTHING for the car. Does not cover the battery or any of the important drive parts.

A Nissan dealership can sell you (or include for free, with luck!) the "Gold Preferred" Nissan used car warranty. It covers pretty much everything except the battery. Pricey, but since their cost isn't that high, try to negotiate for one if the car is less than 4 years old.

Ingroundeffect said:
Correct that the CPO program doesn't extend the battery in any way but it does extend the EV system/powertrain warranty.

See http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-plugs-electric-leaf-into-certified-pre-owned-vehicles-program.

Lothsahn said:
Reddy said:
Ingroundeffect said:

Reddy, how do you see the local auction values?
Keep tabs of some of OrientExpress' threads like this one:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8354&p=527461&hilit=auction#p521710

Well, looks like i wont be buying a leaf after all. My brother just bought a Tesla Model 3 performance and is going to “give” me his 2013 Volt. While the volt does not exactly meet my neeed to have 5 seats it is really hard to beat the price. Plus i can drive it back without stopping every 1.5 hours to charge for 4 hours or more.

I have not ruled out getting a leaf in the future but it is no longer in the cards. Thank you all for the responses in the short time i was here and plan to keep reading posts to keep up with what is happening in the leaf world.

Oh, and they finally reopened Riverside Drive in Tulsa that was closed for 3 years to build a park. I am now taking that to and from work and my driving speed has gine from 70-80 mph down to 40-60, much more suited to electic cars. Hoping to never have to use the gas engine in the Volt for daily commuting.

Back