2013 leaf not charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdelk

Hi, I am new here as I just bought my 2013 Leaf SV. It has 75K miles and the main battery is in poor condition (26 miles on full charge). The first time I went to charge it, I plugged in my 110V charger (only one I have), the lights on the charger said it is charging, but the car didn't beep, the dash lights did not come on and no charging happened. I got the Leaf Spy Pro app to see if there were any error codes on the car and there were no errors. I drove to the nearest charging station down the street and it didn't charge there either. So I am thinking it is something in the car and not the charger.

The car might have a charge timer set, try pressing the immediate charge button found next to the steering wheel, it should be between the steering wheel heater and traction control buttons.

If the charging timer is set the blue lights on the dash should flash in progressive order with the cord is plugged in. That happens for a few minutes than it stops until the charge time.
If you are not getting any blue lights when you plug in (steady if charging, flashing if timer is set) then you either have a problem with the onboard charger or the EVSE (charger cord).
Since you already tried another EVSE, it is looking more and more like a car problem not a EVSE (charger cord). One thing you can try, if the car is equipped and there is one close by, is it see if it will fast charge via the Chademo plug, this bypasses the onboard charger and the fast charger charges the battery directly.
If it never charged since you owned it, then I suspect a problem on the car end. (and a slimy seller)

Thanks for the advice. My car does not have a fast charger. Is that easy to add?

I did more research and found one of pins in the charging port was damaged. The Proximity detection pin was pushed back into the plug. I took the plug apart and hot glued the pin back into position and it charges again. Cheap and easy fix, done in a few hours. Problem resolved.

Back