Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another site has opened, making the totals 431/114. Either this one or the one yesterday is in Tucumcari, NM (3/1/0) in I-40. Now only the one in Santa Rosa is needed to complete I-40 to ABQ.

Yeah, thanks. My brain finally kicked in and I checked Plugshare, and someone said they got the notice yesterday. Still no idea where the other one is.

Meanwhile, Quartzsite AZ in I-10 is still not open, despite having been started long before Tucumcari.

So what is the deal with transformer shortages? I think many of us have heard that many stations, including an EA one (COSO) near me are waiting on transformers. Is this just an SCE problem or does it also impact PG&E and other utilities? It can't be because of Covid because that COSO Ea station has been sitting for over a year and the Inyokern station I'm watching has been in the works for about 3 years, so a transformer should have been ordered long ago. Is it actually the utility company that builds and installs them, or just installs them? I have been blaming SCE in my area but I'm wondering if they place the order through someone else.

It seems like most sites around me are all waiting for that same reason. EA Coso Junction. Inyokern. The charge point at Tehachapi, someone posted a photo, and indeed it looks to be missing the transformer. Coso Junction Rest Area (Caltrans) as well, opposite the EA site.. All missing transformers!

Has anyone done any digging on this issue?

Thanks Dan. There must be something else going on. This affects several charge networks but all in our neck of the woods. Have you talked to the CEC or CARB about this?

Paul

paulgipe said:
Thanks Dan. There must be something else going on. This affects several charge networks but all in our neck of the woods. Have you talked to the CEC or CARB about this?

Paul

Actually I emailed the CA POC for the Inyokern / Brady's/ Mojave projects a few months back - sorry cannot recall the project name - and he responded once, but when I asked follow up questions, I never got a response.

Thru a Bolt group (and a busted URL that was posted), apparently EA is looking for feedback/submissions at https://www.electrifyamerica.com/submissions/.

For those who want them to stop screwing CHAdeMO users (only 50 kW and 1 plug vs. many CCS), you can speak up there. :)

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/calif-dcfc-info-and-or-news.30575/page-17#post-545680 pointed to an EA January-March 2020 CARB report at https://newspress-electrifyamerica.s3.amazonaws.com/documents%2Foriginal%2F422-Q12020ElectrifyAmericaReporttoCARB.pdf. I've only briefly skimmed it.

That guy wrote:
Highlights (as of March 31, 2020):
109 sites active
182 sites with permits submitted
Costs 24% more on average to build in California than elsewhere
Permitting takes 73(!) days on average
Battery storage planned for 100 of the sites (not clear how many have been delivered yet)/quote]

WetEV said:
971 Blossom Hill Rd.
San Jose, CA 95123
Wow. That took forever. The chargers have physically been installed there (not sure about wiring, transformer and the rest) since mid-Nov 2019.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the mall there (https://www.westfield.com/oakridge) finally re-opened today. Once we hit COVID-19 lockdown, that mall was almost completely closed except for a few restaurants doing takeout, Target (since it sells essential items) and later, a few stores doing curbside pickup (I think). Not sure about the BofA there. I think the SBUX drive thru nearby stayed open though.

GRA said:
Current totals are 435/119, so it appears that one more site has opened so ewhere, a d there must also be another coming soon.

They "seem" to open in bunches around here so I was expecting West Oly to open soon after Vancouver but as of last weekend, they still have cut cables. Guessing that messed up the schedule a bit.

**EDIT**

Ok, Plugshare lists West Oly as active but no comments from EA (a departure) This works as I will be in the area this afternoon anyway

Anyone had any luck contacting EA to get an update on a current site? I sent them a message last week through their website asking about a site near me that's been just sitting now for a year, but they did not respond other than the automated email "thank you for contacting us".

Back