24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never mind. I found this link.

However I am wondering. My nearest dealer is in spokane where the work will be done but I live in Idaho. Does the tax exemption still apply?

https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/SpecialNotices/2019/sn_19_ElectricVehicleBuses.pdf

69800 said:

However I am wondering. My nearest dealer is in spokane where the work will be done but I live in Idaho. Does the tax exemption still apply?

https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/SpecialNotices/2019/sn_19_ElectricVehicleBuses.pdf

Look carefully at the certification form that is available by clicking on the link in the document you referenced. Item 1 refers to vessels being taken out of state, but Item 2 (a, b, or c) does not have any notes about residence so I think you just need to fill out the form. I grew up in eastern Washington and purchased a motorcycle immediately before moving to Arizona so I was not charged sales tax because I was taking it out of state. Arizona eventually realized I never paid sales tax so first the state and then the city of Phoenix sent me tax bills, but I still came out ahead because the combined AZ state and Phoenix tax rate was lower than I would have paid in Spokane.

Edited to add: You might want to consider a "declared value" insurance policy for physical damage/theft coverage after replacing the battery. I lost a lot on my 2011 because the "Blue Book" value was low due to many cars coming off 3-year leases (with deteriorated batteries). I had to fight with the other driver's insurance company to get some compensation for the fact that my car was in excellent condition and the battery had been replaced so it should have been worth a lot more than normal 3-1/2 year-old Leafs in Phoenix. If I would have had declared value insurance, I would have been able to get a settlement from my insurance company and left it to them to get reimbursed by the other company.

69800 said:
the dealer in spokane just called me and said he has never heard of the "no sales tax in Washington rule" Dave do you have any supporting info?
Mark

Your profile suggests you don't live in WA. Your dealer may be right.

69800 said:

No

On a call to nissan friday i was told the 24 k batt is back up to 8000ish, cause covid 19 and can't get parts.

All good points. I will see how it goes. The insurance aspect is also interesting. Seems like you can never win with insurance. What a racket.

SalisburySam said:
coleafrado said:
Sam - it's not that I don't literally believe you. It's that the story is unbelievable! How could Nissan fail to make you whole given how obviously defective your Leaf is? Your car (and battery) should be in mint condition, especially since your original battery was replaced, but it fails to meet even 50% of the original range specifications after you drove it less in 8 years than the average American drives in one.

Given that you own a Tesla, I don't see any reason to keep the Leaf. Just sell it for what the market says it's worth and move on. But with a new 24 or 30 kWh replacement battery, its private sale value couldn't possibly be lower than $6-8k.

Got it, and thanks for clarifying. I’ve been known to use hyperbole on occasion but I don’t lie, so you did get my hackles up a bit. But I’m much better now.

As for Nissan, ah well, that’s another issue altogether. My capacity has never gone below 9 bars, so I qualified for nothing. The actual range of the vehicle is not a part of their replacement algorithms. I still have my original battery because of this with no recourse after escalating the issue to NissanUSA; and I did so through my lawyer. After a lot of time and fees, that clearly was going nowhere so I cut my losses.

I’m pretty much at the same conclusion you suggest: dump the LEAF, reflect on lessons learned, enjoy the memories of my introduction to EVs, and grab a martini. You’ll likely find this chuckle-some, but I’m actually considering a 2020 LEAF SL+ as the replacement 2nd vehicle. I should probably go for a 2nd Tesla (Y?, CyberTrk?) but don’t want to spend quite that much. And the LEAF tax credit makes that a bit more attractive.

Crazy to hear how Nissan has treated you. I was actually looking at a neighborhood electric vehicle, and realized a leaf like yours would be a much better option for intown erands. Please let me know if you are decided on letting it go.

zialeaf said:
Boxman said:
zialeaf said:
My 2011 LEAF with 45K miles and a marginally performing 8 bar battery is at the dealer in Albuquerque getting a new 24 kWhr battery. All in, about $5500 (less sales tax, probably). Looking forward to returning to using this car as much as I did when it was new!

Steve in New Mexico

How did it go, Steve?

Unfortunately it turned into a fiasco. Upon removing the original battery, a pack rat infestation was discovered, complete with a large, live pack rat who had been along for the ride, which then bolted and ran out of the shop.

Wiring damage was discovered. Insurance claim filed. Insurance company formula blows up, they declare the vehicle a "total loss." Insurance company now saying my only options are take their offer, or buy the car from them! Currently arguing with them. Dealer is keen to help (they obviously need the business), and is bending over backwards to with a killer deal for replacing the damaged wiring harness and installing the new battery. I need to resolve the dispute with my insurance company before I can move forward.

So my LEAF is currently in limbo at the dealer, battery is out, and it's going nowhere for now! The new battery is hanging out, waiting to be installed.

Steve

How did this play out? Did you buy it back salvage?

I talked to nissan customer service on June 6 and they said the sale price was still good. Same with my dealer around $6000 installed.
For those of you who have done this the dealer Just emailed me and said he has to have a battery health check before he can order which means I have to trailer it 100 miles one way to get it done. Why would nissan need this? Also they want me so sign some kind of disclosure paperwork. What is this all about?
thanks

By the way I posted this about a leaf taxi service. The have one 24kwh leaf with 170000 miles on in with only tires and brakes replaced. No other failures. This I why I am going to replace my battery since my 2012 is still in nice shape and drives well

here is the link

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31170&p=584713#p584713

69800 said:
I talked to nissan customer service on June 6 and they said the sale price was still good. Same with my dealer around $6000 installed.
For those of you who have done this the dealer Just emailed me and said he has to have a battery health check before he can order which means I have to trailer it 100 miles one way to get it done. Why would nissan need this? Also they want me so sign some kind of disclosure paperwork. What is this all about?
thanks

Well one "possible" reason is the discounted price is only available if you have lost at least 4 bars. This makes sense and I would do the same for a limited resource as I expect this to be a promotional offer only.

TriangleSquare said:
zialeaf said:
Boxman said:
How did it go, Steve?

Unfortunately it turned into a fiasco. Upon removing the original battery, a pack rat infestation was discovered, complete with a large, live pack rat who had been along for the ride, which then bolted and ran out of the shop.

Wiring damage was discovered. Insurance claim filed. Insurance company formula blows up, they declare the vehicle a "total loss." Insurance company now saying my only options are take their offer, or buy the car from them! Currently arguing with them. Dealer is keen to help (they obviously need the business), and is bending over backwards to with a killer deal for replacing the damaged wiring harness and installing the new battery. I need to resolve the dispute with my insurance company before I can move forward.

So my LEAF is currently in limbo at the dealer, battery is out, and it's going nowhere for now! The new battery is hanging out, waiting to be installed.

Steve

How did this play out? Did you buy it back salvage?

The dealer worked with me to bring the cost of the needed wiring harness and shop rate down so I could get my insurer to reappraise the vehicle and repair cost, which got the claim figure back to within the market value + margin ratio that the insurer wanted. They funded the repair after all, and my LEAF is back on the road, and all is well!

Starting to see random reports that the special price is no more INCLUDING people who already had a dialogue going with a Nissan service dept.

My leaf is at the dealer. Last week he said the price was still $6000 - sales tax in WA = $5500. Today they called and said the price went up $3000.
I am going to call National and complain that I already had the process going and that they should honer the original price.

69800 said:
My leaf is at the dealer. Last week he said the price was still $6000 - sales tax in WA = $5500. Today they called and said the price went up $3000.
I am going to call National and complain that I already had the process going and that they should honer the original price.

How much paperwork do you have to back up your claim?

The service manager and I communicated the whole deal by email. I have everything plus I sighed all of the agreements and service order. They were just getting ready to send in the battery test when they say the price change. on June 18th. I have all of the emails. I am going to have them call Nissan as will I to complain about the bait and switch. Which phone number is best for this situation?

Nissan Consumer Affairs: 855-426-6628
Nissan LEAF: 877-NOGASEV (877-664-2738)
Nissan EV help line 844-850-5333

69800 said:
The service manager and I communicated the whole deal by email. I have everything plus I sighed all of the agreements and service order. They were just getting ready to send in the battery test when they say the price change. on June 18th. I have all of the emails. I am going to have them call Nissan as will I to complain about the bait and switch. Which phone number is best for this situation?

Nissan Consumer Affairs: 855-426-6628
Nissan LEAF: 877-NOGASEV (877-664-2738)
Nissan EV help line 844-850-5333

All of them. Why choose? I would keep going until I got the answer I am seeking. If you signed a service agreement for work that includes a price estimate, you have ammunition.

I just spoke to Stephani at Nissan EV help and explained that my car is at the dealership with all paperwork done and quote as of June 5 was $5530 installed. She told me that the dealers are independent from Nissan and there is nothing Nissan can do. I said this is a Nissan part. She then tried to tell me that the batteries are from an independent company and that nissan has no control over parts prices.
I just called the service manager and he said the price changed on June 1 up to $7500 + $1000 labor and misc but his computer on June 5 when we made the deal still showed $4500 + 1000 labor.
The service manager agrees that this is BS and Is contacting his Rep to attempt to rectify the situation.

Back