The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14 month old S+: 14K miles. SOH 96.86, only one charge to 100% last few months, BUT Leafspy shows the odometer at about 9K miles? I jst noticed this discrepancy, not too worried just hoping that Nissan warranty will accept Leafspy mileage! With studded tires and using some heat, 3.8 M/Kwh the last month.

dmacarthur said:
14 month old S+: 14K miles. SOH 96.86, only one charge to 100% last few months, BUT Leafspy shows the odometer at about 9K miles? I jst noticed this discrepancy, not too worried just hoping that Nissan warranty will accept Leafspy mileage! With studded tires and using some heat, 3.8 M/Kwh the last month.

Your LEAF Spy settings are incorrect. Let me guess; Your odometer says "about" 14,484 miles?

Go to settings and enable "CAN odometer in miles"

LeftieBiker said:
You may also have to update the app, if it's a few years old. That's what I had to do to get an accurate odometer reading.

Definitely keep the app updated. I get update notices on LEAF Spy Pro every few weeks or less.

DaveinOlyWA said:
dmacarthur said:

Your LEAF Spy settings are incorrect. Let me guess; Your odometer says "about" 14,484 miles?

Close Dave, 14,332..... good calculation! is that the ratio of km/miles? close, but not exact.....

dmacarthur said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
dmacarthur said:

Close Dave, 14,332..... good calculation! is that the ratio of km/miles? close, but not exact.....

Ok, first off; using logic won't work here but there is a ratio. LEAF Spy is taking your odometer "miles" relabeling them km and then converting to miles
Example; you have 14332 miles. "relabel" as km then convert to miles or 8905 miles.

Why does this happen when the previous setting is "feet, miles, mph?"

This is where suspension of logic comes in. :roll:

Like watching any of the multitude of mini-series sitcoms these days, DO NOT bother asking "why would they ever do that?" . Suspend disbelief, go along for the ride, and Leafspy is not a bad ride in its own way.

Question for the board.

Do you think there is is value is occationally charging the car to 100%? I see often in the Tesla forums that it helps to align the bms to know the top of the pack. Do we think the same holds for the Leaf?

S+ owners, do you think the S+ has any better air cooling than the SV/SL+ as there is less equipment in the front of the car? (Different than the lessor heating as the car takes less power to propel the car)

I think that if the imbalance is modest, then top balancing by charging to 100% is beneficial. If you have big differences in cell voltages then it may not matter, as the leaf BMS can't handle large balancing loads. We got well-balanced packs in both our new leafs, so the plan is to charge to 100% occasionally, before use.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Question for the board.

Do you think there is is value is occationally charging the car to 100%? I see often in the Tesla forums that it helps to align the bms to know the top of the pack. Do we think the same holds for the Leaf?

S+ owners, do you think the S+ has any better air cooling than the SV/SL+ as there is less equipment in the front of the car? (Different than the lessor heating as the car takes less power to propel the car)

1) No. Pack balance happens all the time and I have never seen anyone able to bring any cell back in line with any method of charging. Another point is there have been random failed cells and most charged to full on a regular basis so it didn't help them. I do believe that balancing only alleviates small differences in the quality of the cell. Big differences will simply fail eventually.

2) The front of the LEAF has liquid cooling with a radiator and the whole 9 yards but it only cools the motor inverter. The battery being in the back wouldn't get any benefit of air flow.

DaveinOlyWA said:
1) No. Pack balance happens all the time and I have never seen anyone able to bring any cell back in line with any method of charging. Another point is there have been random failed cells and most charged to full on a regular basis so it didn't help them. I do believe that balancing only alleviates small differences in the quality of the cell. Big differences will simply fail eventually.
The Tesla behavior is meant to correct or prevent calibration drift and artefactual drop in battery capacity. It has nothing to do with rejuvenating cells.

No one knows how Nissan calibrates the SoC meter for the LEAF, so it is unknown if the Tesla method is helpful. It would not hurt.

That is what I am thinking, do 1 100% charge a quarter for good measure.

I am very curious to see what my (2019) S+ does next month at its next quarterly. Its still sitting at 97.97% SoH which i imagine can't last.

DougWantsALeaf said:

I am very curious to see what my (2019) S+ does next month at its next quarterly. Its still sitting at 97.97% SoH which i imagine can't last.

What happens when you do 2-3 full charges in a week? Does the capacity rise on each charge implying top end balance? As far as Tesla requiring a full charge to recalibrate its system?? Interesting... A better question is would I care about a few miles of range loss from not doing full charges regularly and my answer is "I am sorry but I didn't notice anything missing" :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

What happens when you do 2-3 full charges in a week? Does the capacity rise on each charge implying top end balance? As far as Tesla requiring a full charge to recalibrate its system?? Interesting... A better question is would I care about a few miles of range loss from not doing full charges regularly and my answer is "I am sorry but I didn't notice anything missing" :lol:

I suspect deep discharge and full charge once in a while does allow the BMS system to get a better estimate of actual battery capacity. Whether that is good or bad can be argued. You may not have noticed my post on 11/12 a couple pages back in this thread that shows my battery statistics after my latest full discharge/charge test. As of now, my car has 22,863 miles and Leaf Spy statistics are: AHr=166.03, SOH=94.12%, and Hx=101.33%. As you know, I typically charge fully and deeply discharge each charge cycle.

GerryAZ said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I suspect deep discharge and full charge once in a while does allow the BMS system to get a better estimate of actual battery capacity. Whether that is good or bad can be argued. You may not have noticed my post on 11/12 a couple pages back in this thread that shows my battery statistics after my latest full discharge/charge test. As of now, my car has 22,863 miles and Leaf Spy statistics are: AHr=166.03, SOH=94.12%, and Hx=101.33%. As you know, I typically charge fully and deeply discharge each charge cycle.

Which implies that our large early degradation is a false reading? Because there is no evidence that deep cycling is beneficial, is there? If there is, I haven't seen it. Either way, I will be doing some longer distance trips when this CV thing blows over. I should see a dramatic change if this is the case. I expect to see I might see a bit of a change but probably no more than 1% like my 2018. I am a rarity in the "never charge past 75%" arena. Most people charge like you do.

Anyone see this and know where we can find a 300 amp Chademo? It looks like 100kW is very possible.

https://electricrevs.com/2019/01/14/nissan-leaf-plus-can-charge-at-near-100-kw-but-where/

DougWantsALeaf said:
Anyone see this and know where we can find a 300 amp Chademo? It looks like 100kW is very possible.

https://electricrevs.com/2019/01/14/nissan-leaf-plus-can-charge-at-near-100-kw-but-where/

Someone mentioned a new install advertised at 100 KW in PA I believe. Not sure of the particulars since its location means I won't likely be using it any time soon.

Back