CHAdeMO dead?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Tesla driver recommends getting the Chademo adapter.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2021/09/07/you-want-teslas-chademo-adapter-for-ev-roadtrips---form-a-club/?sh=69b9f0382d0b

Actually, it looks like V2G is expanding in the US.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/greggardner/2021/09/08/montreal-based-dcbel-seeks-to-connect-your-ev-solar-panels-to-the-grid/amp/

These 4 Chademo/CCS were installed by Tesla a few weeks ago at the new Vernon Supercharger about 2 blocks from my house. We have been waiting for BC hydro to install their transformer, which happened last week. Yesterday the Tesla tech was there doing final check out on all 16 stations (12 X V3 Supercharger and 4 X FLO Chademo/CCS. Tesla now has 7 Superchargers with this configuration although a few of them are still either under construction or waiting final Tesla check out. All with the 75/25 ratio. Salmon Arm went live last week. After the tech left I was officially the first to charge there. Woohoo. Didn't even get a bill as they must be still doing trials.

You can see the 4 FLO stations on the end of the row of V3's past that amazing looking model 3 AWD. :) (Sorry)

51441279958_ea3fd87b59_c.jpg

The four FLO's

51401708131_5875103540_c.jpg

And the price

51441757989_35149ecc29_c.jpg

Funny story. Every time I tried to get near the durn display to get the picture of the price my phone would start two Apps. Electrify America and Chargepoint. WTF. The FLO app did not start, or at least not automatically. Go figure.

Enjoy

While this is interesting to see. I still think that public charging in Canada is not growing fast enough. I am seeing chargers coming on line in Ontario, but there still are a lot of "Coming soon" stations in Plug Share, that take forever to install and come online.

Also. the whole EV "industry" really needs to standardize the plug to get more traction. I see CCS growing more in Europe, such that Teslas in Europe get equipped with CCS connectors. Why can't we do the same here in North America?

webeleafowners said:
The four FLO's

Nice setup. Disappointed in the one parking space per station setup but guessing cables to short to reach another spot? I have seen a few SC's with L2's which are generally free for first 2 hours or so but no DC's yet but haven't actually looked either. Thinking, might do a tour of the sites in the area when I have a free morning.

DaveinOlyWA said:
webeleafowners said:
The four FLO's

Nice setup. Disappointed in the one parking space per station setup but guessing cables to short to reach another spot? I have seen a few SC's with L2's which are generally free for first 2 hours or so but no DC's yet but haven't actually looked either. Thinking, might do a tour of the sites in the area when I have a free morning.

These FLO sites are 50 KW and charge 25 cents an hour. Actually no bad considering there are 7 fast food or sit down restaurants within 3 blocks. Taking a 45 to 60 minute lunch is possible without getting idling charged at the supercharger after 30 minutes.

In the last three days two more sites like this (Supercharger/FLO sites) opened. And there is another one getting hooked up to It’s BC hydro tomorrow or Monday day. Great year for infrastructure for this province. Next year will be even better.

25 cents an hour or 25 cents per kWh? If it's 25 cents an hour for up to 50 kW DC FCing, that is a BARGAIN!

Maybe you meant 25 cents a minute from another pic?

cwerdna said:
25 cents an hour or 25 cents per kWh? If it's 25 cents an hour for up to 50 kW DC FCing, that is a BARGAIN!

Maybe you meant 25 cents a minute from another pic?

per minute and a lower than most at that. EVERY Canadian LEAF site has a rate complainer at least once a week...

I don't know that I'd call Chademo dead yet but it's going that way. We are just now getting QC stations really popping up in the Quad Cities, IL/IA area over the past year and a half maybe? The EA station came first. (Luckily since they are phasing out additions) but the Greenlots stations and Charge Point station at the World's Largest truck stop all have the Chademo connectors and they are all relatively new stations.

I'm curious if having the Chademo connectors might have been tied to grant money somehow since Iowa was offering grants and that's how the Charge point station came about. The Greenlots stations have our local utility plastered over them so it would be interesting to know.

I wonder how long it will take for some technical wizard to buy the required Ariya parts to replace the Leaf's
CHAdeMO port with CCS.

Toby said:
I wonder how long it will take for some technical wizard to buy the required Ariya parts to replace the Leaf's
CHAdeMO port with CCS.
Why are Ariya parts needed?

https://www.muxsan.com/English/products.html#ccs-upgrade in Europe supposedly already has a retrofit to allow charging on CCS, but they'd be using CCS2 there.

Back