User avatar
Marktm
Gold Member
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 14 May 2021
Leaf Number: 022737
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Off Grid Charging

wwhitney wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:40 am [Does anyone happen to know, if you plug the stock L1 EVSE into a receptacle with Hot/Neutral reverse, does it work OK? Or does it give a ground assurance error, because it tries to draw a small current from Neutral to Ground and that fails?]

Cheers, Wayne
Not sure about the stock L1 level CC, but the OPEN EVSE charge controller (L2 mode) has the ability to bypass the ground fault check via it's "menu" (or via RAPI codes). This allowed my test of off grid solar charging to work with a 3 wire 240 VAC connector (L1, L2, Neutral). Not sure of code compliance, but it did work.
2012 Leaf SL
2021 Leaf SV Plus
TylerNV
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:36 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2022
Leaf Number: 302868

Re: Off Grid Charging

goldbrick wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:04 pm The OP's question was if a modified sine wave inverter would work with a Leaf's OBC so they wouldn't need to buy a pure sine wave inverter.

Wayne added the thought that a single phase 240V (L1 and GND with L1 being +/- 240 wrt GND) inverter would probably also work vs the standard split-phase 240V from a residential panel (L1 and GND and L2 with L1 = -L2 and L1 and L2 being +/- 120V wrt GND). All with the caveats that it would probably work but until it's tested it is a gamble. And I know I'm mixing GND and NEUTRAL but you get the idea.
I've seen those inverters that are single phase 240V as opposed to the more common 120/240 split phase models. After more digging around about my original question, seems it all depends on the Leafs onboard charger, and exactly what kind of circuitry and behavior is involved once it handshakes with the EVSE and power begins to flow. I might escalate this to NIssan, or see if I can obtain a schematic of the OBC. It sucks that most new inverters in the 4000W on up range are inverter charger combos. Not all. but I'd say 98% and the other 2% seem sketchy..
2015 SV 51K miles 9 bars
goldbrick
Posts: 1888
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Off Grid Charging

I think I've seen schematics or at least block diagrams of the OBC posted here on the forum. There have been a few people who have repaired them, etc so there is quite a bit of information available on them if you can find it.
TylerNV
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:36 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2022
Leaf Number: 302868

Re: Off Grid Charging

goldbrick wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:46 pm I think I've seen schematics or at least block diagrams of the OBC posted here on the forum. There have been a few people who have repaired them, etc so there is quite a bit of information available on them if you can find it.
yes, that would be a big help.. ill dig around. If you happen upon it, plz post link..
2015 SV 51K miles 9 bars
goldbrick
Posts: 1888
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Off Grid Charging

TylerNV
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:36 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2022
Leaf Number: 302868

Re: Off Grid Charging

goldbrick wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:38 pm maybe here?

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=30915
Holy moley!! Thank you soo much! I hadn't even started to search yet.
thanks again sir!
2015 SV 51K miles 9 bars

Return to “Batteries & Charging”