2018 Bose wiring

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashlee

Hello!!

I just purchased a 2018 SL with the OEM Bose amp and speakers. Does anyone have access to wiring color codes or specifics on the signal chain of the radio/amp combo in the new Leaf? I'm an old school stereo guy with an ear for some good sound and will eventually replace all of the gear with equipment from my last install. I've already ordered the sound deadening and have a processor that accepts either low or high level inputs.

Thanks in advance for any info that you guys can offer!!

For those that are interested, I've been busy!! I found a suitable wiring harness that will plug into the output of the OEM H/U (the plug that goes into the OEM Bose amp) that needs the wiring to be re-pinned to get a signal to an aftermarket amp or processor. I found a wiring diagram for a 2014 with Bose and used some of that info to determine which wires were the ones I needed for my install. I've tested the signals and found the OEM signal from the H/U to the amp is a clean unfiltered signal that doesn't clip at full volume with 3.6v of output, perfect for a good sounding setup. No Line Output Converter needed to hook up an amp!!

I'm taking alot of pics and will eventually post a build log but it'll be a sound quality biased install with a processor, two amps, dash pods for a mid/tweeter, full sound deadening (I've already deadened the roof, rear cargo area and working on the doors), two subs plus some other goodies.

Hey Lashlee,

Very interested to see how you removed the panel from the rear hatch. Do you have any advice or images you could share to help? Thanks!

adebo said:
Hey Lashlee,

Very interested to see how you removed the panel from the rear hatch. Do you have any advice or images you could share to help? Thanks!

Which one are you talking about? I took out the rear seat, both side panels, the center bottom panel (under the hatch opening) as well as all four on the hatch.

The rear hatch is tricky, you have to start at the top of the window and work your way down. The top piece comes off first by pulling from the bottom (if looking directly at it while the hatch is open), then the two side pieces, then the large one that covers the big part of the hatch. The big part needs the three pop pins removed (pop out the centers then pull the whole pin out) and unsnap the cubby where you pull the hatch down to close it. It's simply snapped in with clips, no rear fasteners.

Hopefully that's not too confusing, but I'll try and make it easire to understand!

I've got some pics, but I don't know if they would be any help.

lashlee said:
adebo said:
Hey Lashlee,

Which one are you talking about? I took out the rear seat, both side panels, the center bottom panel (under the hatch opening) as well as all four on the hatch.

The rear hatch is tricky, you have to start at the top of the window and work your way down. The top piece comes off first by pulling from the bottom (if looking directly at it while the hatch is open), then the two side pieces, then the large one that covers the big part of the hatch. The big part needs the three pop pins removed (pop out the centers then pull the whole pin out) and unsnap the cubby where you pull the hatch down to close it. It's simply snapped in with clips, no rear fasteners.

Hopefully that's not too confusing, but I'll try and make it easire to understand!

I've got some pics, but I don't know if they would be any help.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I figured it out! Thanks!

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll end up pulling the front seats and carpet when I start running cables next week.

lashlee said:
Let me know if you need anything else. I'll end up pulling the front seats and carpet when I start running cables next week.

I was actually just replacing the horrible license plate bulbs with LEDs. I was a bit shocked to see the car was not all LED equipped (minus the headlights and tail lights). Just finished replacing just about every incandescent bulb. Thanks again for your help!

I know it's been a while, but could you post a link to that wiring harness you used and the re-pinning info? I'm trying to bypass that craptastic Bose amp myself. Thank you!

I've confirmed that a Metra AX-DSP- NIS1 allows you to plug in at the H/U and get all four signal pairs without having to repin a harness. I simply used the T part of the harness and cut off the black plug and added a set of female RCA's so I can add a standard set of RCA's to the amp. If you decide to run new speaker wires to each new speaker, this is the easiest way to get some better sound.

Hello! That is a very interesting thread. I am planning to buy a bose equipped ZE 1 Leaf and replace the bose audio system. Just to make sure - your car is a second generation Leaf ? Best . Michal

I don't know about the ZE1 designation but yes my car is a 2018 Leaf SL which is the first year of the second generation (40 Kw) leaf.

When it comes to actually doing the wiring, I would recommend my second method of using Metra AX-DSP harness and modifying it as opposed to buying the two other harnesses and having to repin them.

Thanks Lashlee,

That’s very helpful. Do you happen to know if the new Leaf Bose system is the same as in the previous gen? Looks like it :)

Best

Michal

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a first-generation model to verify it. I did use a service manual to find many of the wire locations (though the wire colors were incorrect.

LeftieBiker said:
That’s very helpful. Do you happen to know if the new Leaf Bose system is the same as in the previous gen? Looks like it

They changed it in 2016 or 2017, removing the CD player. I think they kept that version for 2018+.

My 2017 SL with Bose has a CD player. It's a Canadian model though, so not sure if that changes things.

My 2017 SL with Bose has a CD player. It's a Canadian model though, so not sure if that changes things.

I'm going by secondhand info, so I can't clear it up either, I'm afraid. Let's hear from Americans with '16 and '17 Leafs, please! CD player or no CD player? They definitely dropped it in the US for '18.

lashlee said:
I've confirmed that a Metra AX-DSP- NIS1 allows you to plug in at the H/U and get all four signal pairs without having to repin a harness. I simply used the T part of the harness and cut off the black plug and added a set of female RCA's so I can add a standard set of RCA's to the amp. If you decide to run new speaker wires to each new speaker, this is the easiest way to get some better sound.

Do the LEAF Bose system dont have low lever signal to the amp? Does it only use high level even for the stock subwoofer? Thought I read somewhere that it had low level signal but I might be mistaken.

Hi again, anybody know if its possible to grab the low level signal to put to a new amp or thats what you meant lashlee?

best regards

Back