Yellow Triangle with Exclamation Mark - Leafspy DTC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblomstein

I have been trying to diagnose my car for the past 2 days. I am very worried about driving it now. Before I head to the dealership I thought I would try the forum to see if anyone here can help.

Do you know the possible causes of the Yellow Exclamation Mark Triangle?

Here are the DTC codes when I ran leafspy

>C1710 0009 BCM No Data RR Wheel WT-28

U1511 0108 BRAKE Pwr Supply Backup Unit Comm BR-184

U0428 0008 AVM ST Angle Sensor Calibration AV-245

Please put both the year of your car and your location (city) in your user ID. Assuming this is an older leaf, the first thing to do is to measure the 12 volt accessory battery voltage, 15+ minutes after shutting the car off. Pop the hood so you can check it with a multimeter without having to open a door. The rest voltage should be at least 12.4 volts. If it's 12.1 volts or lower, the 12 volt battery needs to be charged externally or replaced. Once that is done, if the codes remain, try using LeafSpy Pro to clear them.

It is not a problem if that warning light goes away after you power down. That usually means that there was a communication error with the EVSE when the charging ended.

91040 said:
It is not a problem if that warning light goes away after you power down. That usually means that there was a communication error with the EVSE when the charging ended.

IF the warnings appeared right after charging, then quite possibly this was what happened. If they appeared under any other circumstances, then what I wrote still holds.

jblomstein said:
I have been trying to diagnose my car for the past 2 days. I am very worried about driving it now. Before I head to the dealership I thought I would try the forum to see if anyone here can help.

That is the "yellow master warning light". It's meant to draw your attention that there is some other warning present.

"The yellow master warning light is located on the upper display.
This light illuminates when a yellow warning light on the lower display is illuminated or when a message is displayed on the dot matrix liquid crystal display.
"

That odd combination of errors makes me think 12V battery should be checked.

Nubo said:
jblomstein said:

That is the "yellow master warning light". It's meant to draw your attention that there is some other warning present.

This light illuminates when a yellow warning light on the lower display is illuminated or when a message is displayed on the dot matrix liquid crystal display.
"

I changed the 12v battery less than 1 year ago

91040 said:

I wish it would have been solved that easily. I tried a bunch of things

* remove the black attachment on the 12V battery
* power down, press brake pedal down then power on and hold for 10 sec
* clearing DTC codes but they come back up
* checked the brakepad wear using a caliper vernier

* remove the black attachment on the 12V battery

Do you mean that you disconnected the ground cable? None of the things you tried will clear codes caused by a bad or low 12 volt battery. Check the voltage. The battery being a year old doesn't preclude it from being low - especially if you regularly leave the car plugged in for hours after charging has ended.

jblomstein said:

This code is due to Body Control Module not receiving data from the right rear tire pressure sensor. CAN bus communication errors (due to low 12-volt battery) or sensor transmit/receive failure (due to weak battery in pressure sensor or external interference which prevents TPMS receiver from receiving signal) will cause this code.

This code is indicative of low 12-volt battery .

This code will be present if the 12-volt battery gets really low or is disconnected. It will clear after correcting the battery issue and then turning the steering wheel to full lock in both directions with car in READY mode to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.

Note: None of those codes will clear themselves, but they can be cleared with Leaf Spy Pro once the underlying conditions have been corrected. I strongly suspect you have a weak 12-volt battery even though it is only a year old.

Here is what causes a severely undercharged 12 volt battery:

#1: Leaving the car plugged in for many hours or days after charging ends. Leaving it plugged in for a similarly long period before charging can also cause it, especially if the length of charging is short.

#2: Taking many short trips with the heater blower and other 12 volt systems running, but not the wipers. (Oddly, just running the wipers increases the charging system voltage.)

It is also possible that you got a defective new battery.

jblomstein said:
Nubo said:
jblomstein said:

"

I changed the 12v battery less than 1 year ago

It's still worth checking battery voltage, electrolyte levels if applicable, as well as making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. A loose or dirty battery terminal clamp can cause problems even with a good battery.

It seems suspicious that your car would develop a problem with a tire pressure sensor, brake booster backup power supply, and a steering angle sensor all at the same time. But low 12V system can cause clusters of errors. I once had to clear over 30 errors all stemming from a weak battery.

As far as voltage checking, if resting voltage is ok, consider a load test. I chased my problem for 2 weeks before finally load testing the battery. While it had acceptable resting voltage, as soon as load was applied it instantly fell down below 10 volts. I've heard AutoZone will do this for free.

I can confirm that a low 12v battery caused an angle sensor code on my 2011. If it is a battery, be thankful. The replacement cost for the angle sensor including labor is over $1k, let alone the brake module.

I also suspect 12v issues. The Leaf is notorious for 12v undercharging.

Ensure that if you have a 3G TCU, you have the power drain TSB applied. If you do get a new battery, make it an AGM battery. It will cost more but be worth the hassle... They tolerate low charging MUCH better than standard lead acid batteries.

Back