1 year service survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UkrainianKozak

Just celebrated my Leaf's one year of delivery, 11.5K miles, battery report is perfect, got new software, seems like brakes became less grabby at very low speeds and I feel the change in GuessOmeter, but now I need to relearn how to estimate how far can I go on low charge... It used to be that 3 lower bars were safely getting me at least 15 miles on a highway without getting to VLB, now I'm not sure...

Anyway, I looked around and don't see coherent way to check where I'm at compared to other leaf owners,
So I put up simple surveymonkey, Let's get some data after 1 year of ownership, I can share results in few days, so if you feel like sharing and spending couple minutes, give it a shot!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8QBVYGD

Just don't be confused...
"How many bars are in your battery status on your 1 year battery report?" really means the bars on the BATTERY REPORT, not bars on GOM at the time of service

Updated 9/21/2012:
Total participans: 62

1. How many bars are in your battery status on your 1 year battery report?
12: 59
11: 1
Below 11: 2

2. What is your star rating on your battery report?
Charging:
*****: 55
****: 5
***: 2
Driving:
*****: 59
****: 0
***: 1
Storage:
*****: 60
****: 0
***: 1

3. Mileage: Average 11,639.45; Min 4,667; Max 24500

5. How often did you charge your Leaf during its first year?
Mostly once a day/night: 43
Usually few times per day: 5
Couple times a week: 4
Once every other day: 4

6. What was your typical Charge pattern during your first year?
Mostly charge to 80%, occasionally charge to 100%: 21
Mostly charge to 80% once a day (or night), top off occasionally when needed (more than 1 charge per day): 11
Always try to keep it at 80% (top-off when possible): 6
Charge to 100% when battery is close to empty: 4
Always try to keep it at 100% (top-off when possible): 3
Mostly manually control charge to something between 80% and 100%: 3
Mostly charge to 100% once a day (or night), top off occasionally when needed (more than 1 charge per day): 5
Charge to 80% when battery is close to empty: 2
Mostly manually control charge to something below 80%: 1

7. Did you quick charge during first year of ownership?
No, never: 37
Few times: 9
Tried it once: 9
Did it regularly: 1

8. If you have Gary's Leaf meter? please enter some stats about your GID parameter (average over all 7 who provided replies)
Recent average GID when charged to 100%: 275.00
Recent MINimum GID when charged to 100%: 273.17
Recent MAXimum GID when charged to 100%: 276.17
Recent average GID when charged to 80%: 227.33
Recent MINimum GID when charged to 80%: 227.00
Recent MAXimum GID when charged to 80%: 227.33

9. Now some non-scientific questions ;) (45 people answered)

Do you feel that the range was decreased if you compare between new and 1 year old Nissan Leaf?
Definitely no: 33
Maybe, can't say for sure: 12
I think so, but not by much: 10

Did you feel the range change was more than you expected?
Definitely no: 44
Maybe, can't say for sure: 8
I think so, but not by much: 3

Do you like Nissan Leaf after 1 year of ownership?
Yes, definitely: 52
I think so, but not by much: 1
Definitely no: 2

On the report, there is a picture of the range guess-o-meter showing a full charge and a number.

Is that just there a graphic, or is that number actual data and the best guess of the guess-o-meter for how far I would go on a charge given my past driving? In my case, that number is 82. Do you get a different number?

The GOM is just that, a guess. Thus, everyone gets a different number and it is only accurate if you continue to drive exactly the same way that you did in the previous ten miles or so...

rcyoder said:
Is that just there a graphic, or is that number actual data and the best guess of the guess-o-meter for how far I would go on a charge given my past driving? In my case, that number is 82. Do you get a different number?

TomT said:
The GOM is just that, a guess. Thus, everyone gets a different number and it is only accurate if you continue to drive exactly the same way that you did in the previous ten miles or so...

rcyoder said:

I understand that the GOM in the car is just a guess. What I was wondering was if the picture of the GOM on the 1 year battery status report is a generic graphic (I.E. *EVERYBODY* who gets the report gets the number 82) or if the number is a part of the report.

rcyoder said:
That's just an "example" graphic.

Updated data posted (look at second post on the first page)

During next update I'll correct 148,936 entry for the mileage to 14,894 to get correct average and max, unless someone will come forward and claim that they really did close to 150K miles in the first year...

My 1 year battery report from the dealer showed all battery good to excellent. Then we used a prototype scan gauge that reads REAL capacity and at 80% charge I really have 74%, at 100% I really have 90% , could be heat, age , normal degrading???

We think all LEAFs should check this as soon as you buy a LEAF and then about once a month. We live in the very warm Phoenix area where we had a record number of 110F days. Luck we park in a shaded parking space and at night in our garage. We want to do a 100 car study and see what we find. I hope to check some brand new LEAFs at the dealer too.

-The dealer wanted to do all sorts of un-needed work for $280 but all the is really required is the battery check and other basic check ups. Some have had their brake fluid changed, ...at 10K miles ,what a rip off.

Just entered my response. Thanks for putting up the survey--it does really demonstrate most of us are pretty happy with our LEAFs.

I am left to wonder if the ongoing discussion of the battery degradation led me to more carefully consider if I had less range--or not. Frankly, I would not have noticed unless I was in particular conditioned to apprehend reduced range. Most of the time I'd simply not be aware any more than I notice battery loss in my iPhone at year as I charge that every night (unless I forget :)...

Recently I drove about 64 miles, starting indicating full charge, 90% fwy at 56 MPH indicated using cruise and got home with 2 bars showing after shut down and restart. Wonder how I am really doing on range? This becomes important when one works at the edge--so far seems pretty good.

Plenty of L2 charging on my typical routes, but with blink charging what amounts to $1/two bars and the hour waiting, my preference is that capacity holds up regardless... Plan B find EVSE in the field, plan C carry a mod LVSE a screwdriver and some bus bar clip ons and leather gloves...

Back