12 V source

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w6vms

Is there a 12V source under the dash, somewhere?

This would be for a ham radio rig, it uses about 10-12 amps when transmitting, less than an amp otherwise.

w6vms said:

This would be for a ham radio rig, it uses about 10-12 amps when transmitting, less than an amp otherwise.

yea right in the center...above the cup holder/tray and below the stereo...kinda hidden...it has a cap cover over it.

vsiev said:
w6vms said:

yea right in the center...above the cup holder/tray and below the stereo...kinda hidden...it has a cap cover over it.
:lol: Though that's not quite 10 amp capable!

DarkStar said:
vsiev said:
w6vms said:

:lol: Though that's not quite 10 amp capable!

Right, I was looking for a place where I could tap into. The fuse box is a good idea, I'll look around there.

I went straight to the battery through a Bosch relay switched by the ignition. Ingeneer has stated that there is high current available under the dash. As I recall, he said it was for the power steering.

GlennD said:
I went straight to the battery through a Bosch relay switched by the ignition. Ingeneer has stated that there is high current available under the dash. As I recall, he said it was for the power steering.

How did you route the cable to the battery and through the firewall?

I saw ingeneer's posting on the other thread, so far I haven't located the heavy gauge wire he mentioned.

There is a cable pass through on the upper drivers side. I just cut a small hole in the rubber bushing and pushed the wire through it. By the way, use the chassis not the battery terminal for ground. Otherwise the current metering shunt is screwed up.

Actually, there is a perfect passage through the firewall on my '13 (almost certainly on previous years, too). On the passenger side, take out the glove compartment. There is the rear washer fluid hose going through the firewall, and just 1 inch up diagonally is an unused 1/2inch hole covered with a rubber grommet. Pop out the grommet, slit a hole big enough for your wire (mine was 6ga for the new Power inverter) and route it right through there. It's just about hidden behind the front wheel well under the hood, but easy to feel and push the wire right through. The grommet will act as the perfect protective insulator so as not to rub through the power feed wire over time.

I used it to install the new 1500 watt power inverter and continued the same source to the trunk to run a 500w sub amp back there too.

What ever works for you. I prefer the drivers side so that there is no cable crossing the entire engine compartment.

Back