160 miles in deep winter conditions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

Yesterday the conditions were ripe for a 'winter range test' it was cold (14F-20F) and it was snowy (winter storm warning, 4-8 inches, sloppy roads; just 'ruts' to drive in)

I found that with minimal use of the heat my 2013 SV can make it ~70 miles. The handling in the snow with the ECOPIA tires was fine; like any other front wheel drive car with traction control.

My son and I ran the test going to 'grandmas house' which is around 80miles away. Therefore we had to stop after 60 miles at an L2 for about an hour to have enough juice to make it. In comparison I am able to make the entire 80 mile trip without stopping in the summer. However, stopping wasnt so bad because I made sure we were in a downtown area with coffee shoppes a block away. Hot Chocolate is always good on a cold day!

On my way out:

60 miles 45mph or slower, minimal use of heat. (~20% left on GOM)
1 hour of L2
20 miles 45mph or slower, minimal use of heat

On the way back:

20 miles 50mph or slower, moderate use of heat
45 mins of L2
60 miles 50mph or slower, minimal use of heat (VLBW)

In conclusion, I wont attempt this again. Because I didnt use the heat that much my feet were cold and I was not very comfortable. I dont make many long trips like this in winter so its no big deal, just going to use the ICE next time. Fun adventure for a curious EV person.

It's good to learn the limitations of this new technology. You never know when you might be in a situation where it will be necessary to push range/speed to the limit, so the knowledge is quite valuable.

Back