New leaf 2017 30 kWh user in Spain asks for advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILITRI

hello, I bought my leaf 3 weeks ago, with 76.573 mi / 116794 km, I have read a lot and every time I have more doubts, I hope to go little by little knowing everything I need.

I live in the north of Spain, winter is not very cold and summer is not very hot, winter between 8 to 15 celsius (48 to 59 fahrenheit) and summer between 20 to 28 celsius (68 to 82 fahrenheit).

Apologies for my English, I will use google translator, and also in case this publication is not correct.

leafspy first read before buying the car was
odo 76.573 mi / 116794 km
SoH 80.29
AHr 65.01
H x 50.80
QC's 244
L1/L2 2284

leafspy data today
odo 73106 mi / 117653 km
SoH 80.17
AHr 64.92
Hx 50.59
QC's 244
L1/L2 2299

between these two leafspy readings there were two or three where the SoH, Hx, AHr went up and now they are going down again

I am worried about Hx, I have read a lot and I understand ( i´m not sure) that it is very low, I do loads between 30 and 70 SOC and my average daily distance is 50 to 60 km (31 to 37 miles).

Do you recommend me to do a complete discharge with the heating and then a full charge up to 100? I thought I read this in some post.

Do I charge correctly? or in my climate can I charge up to 100?
my charger is constant between 4 and 4.5 kw/h, do you recommend me to do a QC sometime, once a month for example?

I am keeping control with leafspy of all the data before and after each charge in an excell, I hope to have a lot of data in a short time, it is just out of curiosity that I do this, I like to control the data and leafspy gives me the opportunity to do one good database use of my leaf.

Sorry if this post is inappropriate.

When I have a good amount of data I will make a publication with them in case it is useful to someone or to satisfy curiosity.

Thanks a lot!!

The SOH and AHr correlate well, I wouldn't worry about the weird Hx value. Supposedly, that's an indicator of internal resistance, but it's often out of sync with other stats.

Bottom line, if you are getting about 70 miles range in winter and close to 90 miles range in summer, then your 30 kWh pack is performing as expected.

Have you had the BMS update done yet?

alozzy said:
The SOH and AHr correlate well, I wouldn't worry about the weird Hx value. Supposedly, that's an indicator of internal resistance, but it's often out of sync with other stats.

Bottom line, if you are getting about 70 miles range in winter and close to 90 miles range in summer, then your 30 kWh pack is performing as expected.

Hx - battery conductance (inverse of internal battery resistance), declines and correlates with battery SOH

alozzy said:
Except that in his case it doesn't correlate ;)

What? They both have a negative slope, i.e. decline together. That's the point! You haven't followed that discussion for the last five years?
You draw a conclusion from two points? Read other threads about Hx where multi-year data are presented.

Welcome to the forum. Hx has always been a bit of a mystery, and in the case of the 30kwh pack it may well behave differently from the 24kwh packs. As already said, if the car is performing well and there are no bad cells, don't worry about it.

LeftieBiker said:
Welcome to the forum. Hx has always been a bit of a mystery, and in the case of the 30kwh pack it may well behave differently from the 24kwh packs. As already said, if the car is performing well and there are no bad cells, don't worry about it.

Thank you, that's all I was saying too. Honestly, who cares if the Hx is "odd", SOH and AHr are far more indicative of pack health from everything I've ever seen. I ignore the Hx reading when using LeafSpy, AHr is the best indicator of pack capacity anyways.

lorenfb said:
alozzy said:

What? They both have a negative slope, i.e. decline together. That's the point!

Yes, I understand that they are supposed to have a linear relationship. If you place a lot of value on the Hx metric, that's your prerogative. I don't value that metric, as it's often goofy on my pack and it doesn't tell me anything useful about the remaining capacity. I'll rely on AHr all day long.

alozzy said:
Ok, so how do you explain his low Hx then?

SoH 80.29
AHr 65.01
Hx 50.80

The key point is that Hx & SOH are positively correlated, i.e. both have a negative slope over time, but have different rates of decline.
Remember, there're other variables, e.g. having charged to 100% SOC without long term use, affecting SOH besides declining battery conductance.

alozzy said:
lorenfb said:
alozzy said:

What? They both have a negative slope, i.e. decline together. That's the point!

Yes, I understand that they are supposed to have a linear relationship. If you place a lot of value on the Hx metric, that's your prerogative.

I never have! Hx is just another battery parameter.

alozzy said:
I don't value that metric, as it's often goofy on my pack and it doesn't tell me anything useful about the remaining capacity. I'll rely on AHr all day long.

I totally agree! I only use Ahr as a predictor of my remaining actual range, and totally ignore the Leaf term GIDs used by some.
Given the way I drive my Leaf, my range predictor is about two miles per Ahr, reduced by about 20 Ahrs to avoid a low discharge point.

The OP asks for some specific advice and says he is not a native English speaker (using Google translate).

And you two make many useless posts arguing about the meaning of the Hx value. :roll:

jlv said:
The OP asks for some specific advice and says he is not a native English speaker (using Google translate).

And you two make many useless posts arguing about the meaning of the Hx value. :roll:

I'm fine with you deleting all of my comments, I agree it was a useless argument about an equally useless LeafSpy metric and off topic too.

I was just trying to convey to the OP that he/she shouldn't worry about a seemingly low Hx value.

alozzy said:

yes, I called the dealer in my city and he told me that there are no pending operations to do on my leaf.

70/90 real miles? or estimated in car display?

thank you so much!!!

I'm overwhelmed with so many answers, it's great, thank you all very much, I hope to learn a lot here and try to help as much as possible!

LeftieBiker said:

i think all cells is ok!! thank you very much!!

lorenfb said:
alozzy said:

Hx - battery conductance (inverse of internal battery resistance), declines and correlates with battery SOH

ok thanks, then it could be understood that it would be a value that resists the charge, maybe that is why my car does not charge more than 4 or 4.5 kw/h even though it has 22 available, could it be?

The site is having issues. We can read posts here, but when I try to approve a moderated post, it vanishes - along with the site. So I'll be waiting a while to try again, and I suggest the other Mods do as well. There are three pending posts from this poor guy in Spain.

ILITRI said:
lorenfb said:
alozzy said:

ok thanks, then it could be understood that it would be a value that resists the charge, maybe that is why my car does not charge more than 4 or 4.5 kw/h even though it has 22 available, could it be?

You should not worry about Hx when being concerned about your Leaf's charging. Just ignore the Hx value.
If your 30kWh battery is at a SOH of 80%, then is maximum capacity is just about 24 kWh (30 x 80%).
If your battery presently indicates 22 kWh, then your can only charge it about another 2 kWh to 24 kWh.

Ok, thank you very much everyone!! I was just answering when the problems started and I got a strange page, wait a couple of days to come back here, I have the feeling that I have something left to answer or thank, thank you all very much for your answers and help!

Back