2011 LEAF Replacement: Need Help w/Pros & Cons of 2018 BOLT, I3, LEAF & Tesla Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were making the same evaluation as you a couple months ago, and ended up choosing the Leaf (we don't have a model 3 reservation). A few points to consider: in addition to a lower base price on the Leaf and Bolt compared to the Tesla, if you shop around you can probably find a dealer who will give you ~$6k off MSRP. In addition, if you purchase a Leaf you can get a $0 down interest-free loan from Nissan. In our case, the 8 year cost to own that I calculated was $11k lower for the Leaf than the Bolt! The Leaf also offers free charging for the first two years and an 8-year/100,000 mile battery warranty. I think the Bolt has a similar battery warranty, but I could be mistaken. The Leaf also has a 50% bigger trunk than the Bolt, though there's less room in the back seats. We find that we use every bit of space in the Leaf for family trips, which means it wouldn't all fit in the Bolt.

On the other hand, we have really noticed the lack of TMS for the Leaf's battery on our summer road trips. The first charge of the day may get 45kW, but by the end of one trip the battery was HOT and we were only getting 16kW! So, you will save money with the Leaf, but 300+ mile trips will take more time.

Tesla plays the option game. A 3 usually costs over 56K and more if you need all wheel drive. I have a reservation for a 3 but I only want the basic car with color options. I really do not think it is ever going to happen. If it does then Great! but you can not really compare base prices. Base price cars do not exist.

LeftieBiker said:
Base price cars do not exist.

I assume that you mean "Base price Teslas do not exist." There are plenty of actually existing base models of other cars, including the Leaf.

Yes they do. You can order a base S or 3 or add options. The base 3 presently has certain options included but that is the "base car" now. Because they plan to offer a lower cost version does not mean there is no base model now. There are plenty of options you don't need to offer and there is no model they are offering that you can not order in it's present version. There is no SR model 3 so there is no "base" model of that car or any fully loaded model of that car because it is not an available model in any form.

Astros said:
We were making the same evaluation as you a couple months ago, and ended up choosing the Leaf (we don't have a model 3 reservation). A few points to consider: in addition to a lower base price on the Leaf and Bolt compared to the Tesla, if you shop around you can probably find a dealer who will give you ~$6k off MSRP. In addition, if you purchase a Leaf you can get a $0 down interest-free loan from Nissan. In our case, the 8 year cost to own that I calculated was $11k lower for the Leaf than the Bolt! The Leaf also offers free charging for the first two years and an 8-year/100,000 mile battery warranty. I think the Bolt has a similar battery warranty, but I could be mistaken. The Leaf also has a 50% bigger trunk than the Bolt, though there's less room in the back seats. We find that we use every bit of space in the Leaf for family trips, which means it wouldn't all fit in the Bolt.

On the other hand, we have really noticed the lack of TMS for the Leaf's battery on our summer road trips. The first charge of the day may get 45kW, but by the end of one trip the battery was HOT and we were only getting 16kW! So, you will save money with the Leaf, but 300+ mile trips will take more time.

Thanks Astros. Agree with you on all your evaluations. Aside from us needing another vehicle sooner than later, those are some of the same exact reasons that we decided not to wait on the 2019s.

As you were responding on the above, we literally were on our way to pick up a 2018 Bolt. We didn't see your LEAF MSRP discount in our area, but maybe the interest-free loan. Did find Chevy dealers offering MSRP discounts, plus the timing of the end of the month helped. The dealership people we dealt with were great. So, now we have a Bolt! Like you said, it definitely is smaller & the ride is stiffer than our 2011 LEAF. We were ok with the seats on the freeway & streets riding home; hopefully it'll remain that way.

Thanks for sharing your experience about the hot weather issue; but so sorry :(

We still have a soft spot for the LEAF & are very looking forward to seeing the 2019 model. Glad the progressions are finally coming & hoping it'll be successful. So, even though we have the Bolt, we'll occasionally peek into this wonderful forum with incredibly passionate, nice & knowledgeable members! Thanks everyone! We are very likely to circle back to own another LEAF. Who knows, maybe even a Tesla at some point?; Our deposit is still with them.

Thank you again Astros!

EVDRIVER said:
LeftieBiker said:
Base price cars do not exist.

I assume that you mean "Base price Teslas do not exist." There are plenty of actually existing base models of other cars, including the Leaf.

Yes they do. You can order a base S or 3 or add options. The base 3 presently has certain options included but that is the "base car" now. Because they plan to offer a lower cost version does not mean there is no base model now. There are plenty of options you don't need to offer and there is no model they are offering that you can not order in it's present version. There is no SR model 3 so there is no "base" model of that car or any fully loaded model of that car because it is not an available model in any form.

By "actually existing" I mean "cars that are already built and ready to drive home." This is a reasonable definition, especially when it looks like the full tax credit will run out before the $35k "Base 3" is available to buy and drive home in November.

Back