2013 Leaf bar loss.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/4x2cke/now_down_to_nine_bars_on_my_2013_leaf_s/
sirenbrian said:
Hi everyone, I started leasing this car in March 2013, so the battery capacity warranty is good till March 2018. After only 24k miles I've lost my third capacity bar; one more and the capacity warranty kicks in and I get a a new battery!

I live in Florida, keep the car in a garage overnight and have only ever charged from a 110V plug.

I'm actually pleased about the loss, as you can tell, because I intend to buy the lease out. With a fresh battery, and the big discounts Nissan has been offering on the lease buyouts, this should be a great deal!

Time to start seeing 2013 Leafs start to lose the 4th bar. Should be plenty of them out there but most of them don't post here.

This one is VIN 400827 and sirenbrian posts on both reddit and mynissanleaf. Hopefully he'll give is the details to flesh out the wiki on his 3 bar loss so far.

I think that only Jan-March built 2013 leafs will be losing three or four bars anytime soon, so the real question is "How many of those were sold?" They didn't do any big Leaf sales or marketing here in the Northeast until Memorial day weekend of that year. (For which I am extremely grateful!)

LeftieBiker said:
I think that only Jan-March built 2013 leafs will be losing three or four bars anytime soon, so the real question is "How many of those were sold?"
Agree.

My 5/2013 built used '13 Leaf is still at all 12 bars. My stats as of a few days ago are at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=467208#p467208.

I live in the South Bay portion of the Bay Area, where it's definitely NOT one of the cooler microclimates (e.g. city of SF, Half Moon Bay, Pacifica) but not as quite has horrific as the hottest ones (e.g. Concord, Walnut Creek). For context, I posted some summer temps at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=464260#p464260.

2013 S build date 11/13

40,551 miles (numbers approximate to account for daily fluctuation) GIDs 259, kwh available 20, ahr 59, Hx 90, SOH 90

Hello, I just lost my first bar today! In Tucson, Arizona.. I purchased the leaf in 5/2015 out of San Francisco area the Leaf only had 4100 miles on the car. 2013 SV 19,300 miles and 5/13 built date. It's sucks I tried selling the Leaf over the weekend but I refused to take $10k with my blink L2 and extended warranty. I figured I just keep it and drive until it dies. Just had the battery checked out last month 7/18 and Nissan said I was doing a excellent job in taking care of the battery! Lol
SOH=84%
Ahr=55.45
394.0v
Hx=82.14
18QC
892l1/l2
SOC=94.8
235 Gids

To only lose 1 bar after 3 years in Tucson is great. With earlier LEAFs you'd probably be down 2-3 bars. It's pretty clear now that later '13 LEAFs got a more durable battery.

I wonder how long it will take a "lizard" battery to lose a bar in similar conditions.

Hey, it's my fault I did clearly say first that it was in San Francisco and then moved to Tucson.. The world of edit can change things.

So my Leaf's Nissanconnect IPhone app still shows 12/12 bars but Leaf shows 11/12 bars crazy.

I'm sad I thought I was babying my Leaf's battery and now the battery is degradating just like 11-12.

Stupid to think I was going to save money by buying this Leaf. Thankfully I bought it used in 15 for $13,500 but prices have dropped to crazy prices in only 1 year and now it lost 1st bar..

So, do guys think I'll get lucky and lose the other 3 bars in the next 2 years? I heard the first bar takes longer than 2-4 bars..

Maybe.
First bar is nominal 15%.
Others are nominal 6.25%.

But overall many have needed overall 33 to 34% loss existing for several weeks with hot pack to lose fourth bar.

You need to know in service date to know when 5 years runs out.

You have increased miles driven in the 15 months you have owned.
So you might get there by June 2018 at less than 60,000 miles.
But it will be close.
You will have to drive it hard, charge to 100%, DCQC a lot, store in hot garage, etc. to be sure you make it.

TimLee said:
drees said:
To only lose 1 bar after 3 years in Tucson is great. With earlier LEAFs you'd probably be down 2-3 bars.
Only been in Tuscon for 15 months.
Earlier time was in San Franciso.

time degradation is equal in any area. either way, he is likely in line for a warranty replacement so I wouldn't worry. he is in a "no question" area. Its the people in "very warm" (as opposed to "ungodly") areas that have to worry

Sorry I haven't ready this whole thread, just wanted to report..

2013 Leased in 12/2013. MFGR date says 11/13.
Lost first bar today at 27,300 miles.

I could tell it was coming. The past 6-8 weeks range has degraded quite a bit. Made it a lot farther before losing a bar than my 2011.

I typically drive 40-45 miles a day, 5 days a week, to about a 60% DoD. Now I'm closer to 70% DoD after my commute. Typically sat on the weekends. For the most part I would not charge it until Sunday night so it didn't sit at 100% all weekend. Sat in the sun at work.

Garaged at night. For the first two years, I charged to 80% when I got home, and topped off to 100% right before I left for work. I feel this is the best charge cycle as to minimize the time the batteries at 100%. Then somewhere in year 2 of ownership, carwings stopped working keeping me from being able to remotely start charging, so I started charging to 100% as soon as I got home.

Leaf goes back in Dec. I won't be getting another as I am tired of having to have two cars and purchased an SUV to replace my aging Grand Cherokee. I will miss the HOV privileges the most...

turbo2ltr said:
... Leaf goes back in Dec. I won't be getting another as I am tired of having to have two cars and purchased an SUV to replace my aging Grand Cherokee. I will miss the HOV privileges the most...
Sad to see another LEAF driver departing :(

Appreciate your contributions on the LEAF order / delivery spreadsheet :)
Helped a lot.
Mine was manufactured the day before the tsunami which delayed delivery by about a month from what had been typical.

turbo2ltr said:
Sorry I haven't ready this whole thread, just wanted to report..

2013 Leased in 12/2013. MFGR date says 11/13.
Lost first bar today at 27,300 miles.

I could tell it was coming. The past 6-8 weeks range has degraded quite a bit. Made it a lot farther before losing a bar than my 2011.

I typically drive 40-45 miles a day, 5 days a week, to about a 60% DoD. Now I'm closer to 70% DoD after my commute. Typically sat on the weekends. For the most part I would not charge it until Sunday night so it didn't sit at 100% all weekend. Sat in the sun at work.

Garaged at night. For the first two years, I charged to 80% when I got home, and topped off to 100% right before I left for work. I feel this is the best charge cycle as to minimize the time the batteries at 100%. Then somewhere in year 2 of ownership, carwings stopped working keeping me from being able to remotely start charging, so I started charging to 100% as soon as I got home.

Leaf goes back in Dec. I won't be getting another as I am tired of having to have two cars and purchased an SUV to replace my aging Grand Cherokee. I will miss the HOV privileges the most...

sorry to hear that and guessing it was a tough decision for you. I still maintain two cars but only because of work demands of distance and time otherwise I would use the LEAF exclusively (but would need a 25,000 mile annual lease limit... :shock: )

But your climate is unique in its challenges and EVs have still got a ways to go to figure it out. I am kinda in the same boat but the opposite. I am definitely getting another EV when my lease ends in December (my car same as yours 2013 S build 11/13, leased Dec 21st) and of the degradation I have, almost half happened in the past 3 months (I am just under 42,000 miles) but just drove it 87 miles yesterday in mixed driving (7 hospital run so a LOT of 20 mph driving searching for parking!)

But my dilemma is how much money I want to put into the gasser. It has a relatively easy life being used 4-10 times a month and only for longer freeway trips but coming to the point where tires will be needed so I prefer to get a longer range EV and milk the tires another year.

40 Kwh would drop the gasser need to nearly nothing. 30 kwh would cut out 25% of the gasser use as well. so guessing good deals on 30 kwh if 40 comes out or I lease 30 kwh and they have a fire sale in 3 years when the lease comes due because 60 kwh is the new normal.

either way... decisions abound

turbo2ltr said:
Made it a lot farther before losing a bar than my 2011.
I'll say - 1 bar down after 2 years 9 months (33 months) in your '13.

You were down 4 bars in your '11 in that amount of time and lost your first bar in the '11 in 15 months. So it appears that at least the later '13 LEAFs are doing about twice as well as the first LEAFs.

I wonder how much further the "lizard" packs improve upon this?

If you can remember, how's the range compare on the '13 and '11 with 1 bar down?

Out of curiosity - what would it take for you to get to a single plug-in vehicle? A PHEV SUV? What kind of SUV did you buy?

drees said:
If you can remember, how's the range compare on the '13 and '11 with 1 bar down?

Hmm, not sure. When I had my 2011, I was only commuting 7 miles each way. Now it's 20 so I have a much better sense of range degradation.

drees said:
Out of curiosity - what would it take for you to get to a single plug-in vehicle? A PHEV SUV? What kind of SUV did you buy?

Outside of my commute, the types of things I do make it conducive to having an SUV. I don't do as much offroading as I used to but still have a need for something that can handle forest roads and has room for my ham radio stack for public service events as well as camping. The biggest issue is range and convenience to fill up on long trips. I'm outdoorsy and something like driving to monument valley where there probably aren't too many opportunities to charge would be a hassle.

Because I'm heavily in ham radio and public service, I was looking for a Police Interceptor Utility (Essentially a Ford Explorer) but Ford won't sell them to you new. I found a 2016 in KS that had already been titled in a deal that fell through that had 68 (as in under 100) miles on it for $24,500. Love it so far. It's all prewired for all the crap I'll be putting in it! lol.

1x4tgiA5yc7RHuKqQLeFzog7jog6tO9LJ-PJJX6drpWtNo2sK_AmgskLlkXmqlaPpUE0lvWRj_a3uoKy-WdIkwNQwrB2l2KUWJPaMdsYN6OHzk8da5wYhJkuAG0Rf_DSQnQMcgg2PhIO1RyrzTdFG0QkCsDEPfp3uaVxxcyvJglRK-t19BpeYO2wx25k6p6hqMeIjbIKesMbJQGS4jsm6AdUkMoQi16lUTt7ZWyHoJRdfiLW8uuwBGWjhU6upATbcNMsq42yy2QoVjjnDMLjgIdstlOufADKbA1P8fQ-uQCEdsxRk2Xgw3t2ouGnuKUS9yqy3IC9yUyUFhOX_lwp2ctSn8ifIZKGt-a8SXEReo71qgAYIHOZOhPHxGSDskxXSR_P_obi1qzJxu6Shm9qYHvCjxl6-vUM5rXUcyLvtNrPL0bxuN5IOiF_SonlXaVLamHx_UG6Kij7ZjURcEiWGDwbQ9QkPSnxpvibOUn9kVTv_cl8YQcDtOH7K_3B7Ae-L0a3P6mVrTkCmrFw7Ktl1PyFbkq_FUNNBuphOONefkOM3xXi8e8yeFld1kZJfDKnASawuX2oIbY7cpIHuMgxGHmPSLMJ7ZLviWqt4MYj4JHAQiOlWQ=w1844-h1383-no

turbo2ltr said:

Dang! Sorry to read this. Your contributions are greatly appreciated and will be sorely missed! Nice looking Explorer, though.

First post but have been lurking for awhile here and other forums . I just registered so I can share history of my 2013 S.

Car is on Oahu, Hawaii.

The original owner took delivery on Oahu 5/2013. Manufactured 3/2013 .

I bought used 01/2015 as a lease return w/all 12 capacity bars @ 20,000 mi. Original owner turned in for 2015 leaf.

I have lost 3 bars within the last year. 3rd bar drop middle of August. Car now has 24,000 mi,

I just purchased Spy Leaf Pro, and my readings as of today;

AHr= 45.06

SOH- 68%

I charged to 100% and my SOC = 93.9 %

14.6 KWh

54.5 miles available @ 4.0 miles/kwh

188 GIDS

I enjoy driving the Leaf. Hopefully qualify for battery replacement by end of warranty term 5/2018. I will then continue driving the Leaf until

new battery falls below 70 %. No need for a larger capacity EV as this one suits us fine. May consider buying a 2016 Leaf when the 2017

higher capacity leafs come out. Maybe able to find terrific deals on 2016's.

Also have 2004 Mini Cooper S that serves as our back up if needed.

niided said:
First post but have been lurking for awhile here and other forums . I just registered so I can share history of my 2013 S.

Car is on Oahu, Hawaii.

The original owner took delivery on Oahu 5/2013. Manufactured 3/2013 .

I bought used 01/2015 as a lease return w/all 12 capacity bars @ 20,000 mi. Original owner turned in for 2015 leaf.

I have lost 3 bars within the last year. 3rd bar drop middle of August. Car now has 24,000 mi,
Welcome!

Hmmm... I wouldn't be surprised if yours is another car that had its BMS/LBC reset by some unsavory person. It's possible that it didn't have all 12 CBs at lease return.

Back