2013 Leaf S - what is your Ahr?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.

stjohnh said:
I really doubt the batteries are "better than new."
That I can believe. If Leaf's batteries behave anything like any other battery pack I've ever encountered there is a 'waking up/breaking in' period and depending on where the zero point was measured you can see improvements.

stjohnh said:
The H values (SOH, Health, Hx, etc) are completely mysterious. They were initially labeled as Health, any may have SOME relationship to the state of the battery, but these values are really currently useless until others smarter than me can figure out what they mean.

The ONLY way you can actually tell what condition your battery is in is by doing a range test from 100% to turtle (it must go clear to turtle, not near turtle, but real turtle). For your own peace of mind, I strongly recommend you do that.
Will have to do this. Just need to find out how to do it so I'm not left stranded 1/4 mile from nearest outlet.

Tomasz said:
Thanks for the info.

stjohnh said:
I really doubt the batteries are "better than new."
That I can believe. If Leaf's batteries behave anything like any other battery pack I've ever encountered there is a 'waking up/breaking in' period and depending on where the zero point was measured you can see improvements.

Certainly possible, but my capacity measurements don't show any consistency with a proposed "breakin period." That is, either there should be a gradual increase to the max, and then a slow decrease after the maximum, or a slow increase if the breakin period has not been reached yet. My numbers don't show either of those patterns.

stjohnh said:
The ONLY way you can actually tell what condition your battery is in is by doing a range test from 100% to turtle (it must go clear to turtle, not near turtle, but real turtle). For your own peace of mind, I strongly recommend you do that.
Will have to do this. Just need to find out how to do it so I'm not left stranded 1/4 mile from nearest outlet.

If you are going to do a range test, I strongly recommend you get a meter that can measure true SOC (different from the dash readout), capacity, and minimum voltage of the individual pack modules. Most do this by buying an OBDII Elm Bluetooth adapter, plugs into the socket in the footwell of the car, $10-20 on Amazon. Also you will need the LeafSpy app installed onto an android phone or tablet that has bluetooth. If you don't have this, the least expensive way to do this is buy the Kyocera Event phone from Walmart.com or Amazon, $45-50. You don't need to activate it, so no monthly fees.

Once you have the equipment, there are instructions several places here on the details of doing the test.

If you decide to do the test without additional measuring equipment, you plan the test so that you are near home (within 1 mile) near the end of the test, then drive a several block loop near your home until you actually hit turtle. Turtle will likely occur 10-13 miles after hitting VLBW, or 6-7 miles after the last fuel bar disappears. You can predict turtle much more accurately if you can measure the voltage of the lowest battery module (ie, with LeafSpy, etc)

Be aware that much of the information on these forums is about 2011 and 2012 Leafs, and their programming and batteries are probably somewhat different than the Leaf you own.

Even Leaf Spy Lite (a free android app) shows all 96 cell-pair voltages,
including the lowest value, which probably is what triggers Turtle mode,
and ultimately is used to cause the car to actually stop running.

The various battery related values are probably the result of some
estimates of calibrations done (most likely) by the Battery Management
System (BMS). These estimates seem to get distorted by QC sessions.

djjazzy said:
babynuke said:
Hello djjazzy,
I picked up my 2013 S on September, Friday the 13th

I started using LeafSpy on 9/16.

On 10/16 I charged to 100%
LeafSpy reported:
Date............Time....Gids......SOC............AHr
10/16/2013...7:59....269....966228..........623916 (LeafSpy left out the decimal points for some reason)
10/16/2013.14:57......37....213600..........625158 Low Battery Warning
10/16: 12 miles remaining according to the range meter(or guess-o-meter,(GOM))

Ty

Sure seems like my capacity is lower than what it should be for a 6 week old 2013 Leaf S
with only 1094 miles. Just ran LeafSpy again today:

OD=1094 QC#1 L1/L2#64
11/01/2013 Ahr=59.19 (90.22%) Hlth=90.22%
SOC=65.8% GIDS=163 Batt Temp=65.3

First time I ran LS on 10/23/13, my Ahr capacity was 59.89
car was barely 1 month old.

Do I complain to the dealer about my Ahr capacity being ' low ' as
compared to other new Leafs. Would the dealer even listen to my complaint
since I got this info from LeafSpy. Would they even consider a claim of
low Ahr capacity, with the info extracted from the LeafSpy app?

Suggestions? Thanks!

i would definitely bring it to their attention (something you should have done a while back)

granted i have had mine 1½ days but your current ahr is not that much higher than my 2011 after 44,000 miles. if you saw the ahr on my 2013, you would sh**.

Back