2013 LEAF SUNVISOR

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENEV

I don't think anyone has covered this topic yet.

1. Does anyone have a picture of the newly update sunvisor? From what I understand, the new sunvisors have an extension built in?

2. I want to call my parts department and ask if they can swap out the old sunvisor for the new sunvisor.

Now that's a mod I'd be delighted to make even on my leased car. I am sick and tired of driving north in the late afternoon with only one hand on the steering wheel, because I need to keep my left hand up blocking the sun pouring in through the side window. Not to mention that driving with one hand isn't the safest thing to do.

Ray

Of course! Here is one from TickTock. You can see Tony chatting with Andy Palmer in the background.

sunvisorextension
2o13leafmnl

Thank you. Do you think the new visor makes a difference?

I guess I was expecting the entire visor to extend outwards.

-Rick

GREENEV said:
Thank you. Do you think the new visor makes a difference?

I guess I was expecting the entire visor to extend outwards.

-Rick
I also am a bit disappointed with this design. My crude cardboard mod to my current visor gives better side protection from the sun than the 2013 visor would. And it was free.

FWIW I had a quick look at the 2013 visor and it appears to have the same mounting method as 2011/12. But my piece of cardboard works pretty well (traced the outline of the visor onto corrugated cardboard, cut it our 0.5 inches smaller all around,and slipped it under the elastic).

I'm considering inking a "Nissan" logo onto the cardboard to add a touch of class.

DeaneG said:
...I'm considering inking a "Nissan" logo onto the cardboard to add a touch of class.
Hah! Like that idea. :lol:

I used a doubled over piece of cereal box for mine, brown side out. But I think something thicker, like corrugated cardboard, would fit more securely under the strap. Works well enough and I use it a lot.

TomT said:
Yeah, the after-market one I bought also does a better job than this. I seriously doubt it would be worth the cost of the retrofit...
Tom, where did you get your after-market version?

This is what I got. Works great on our Leaf.

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Side-window-Visor-Extenders/dp/B002JR949K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shay said:
TomT said:
Yeah, the after-market one I bought also does a better job than this. I seriously doubt it would be worth the cost of the retrofit...

Looks like they're $85.23 ea
http://parts.nissanusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LH Visor - part# 96401-3SG7A
RH Visor - part# 96400-3SG7A

Recommend you get the extra set of elastic bands as well. Using two bands on each visor holds the extender better.

TomT said:
This is what I got. Works great on our Leaf.

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Side-window-Visor-Extenders/dp/B002JR949K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shay said:
TomT said:

:lol: :lol: I thought I was the only one resorting to cardboard!

We deploy a lot of computers at work, so we discard a lot of cardboard boxes (freeware!). I cut out a visor shape, fashioned a stop on one end (so it doesn't slide past the car's visor band) and voila! Visor extension. Not pretty, but it's hidden when the visor's not in use. This was going to be a temporary fix, but it's worked well long enough for me to have forgotten about buying a real visor extension, until seeing this thread...

They say a bumper on a new car cost 1 million to design and develop. I guess it means that to reshape the sunvisor would set Nissan back by about 100,000 :lol:

Seems that they don't want to invest in that... :roll:

So we'll have an idiotic-shaped sun visor until they DO!

roperld said:
The shape of the 2013 sunvisor extender fits nicely above the rearview mirror when extended.
Oh, so that's why they did such a stupid job on it. They optimized for the 5% front problem case instead of the 95% side problem case. I seriously wonder why cars don't just have two visors, one permanently mounted above the windshield and the other above the door. I especially wonder that as I try to swing the visor with one hand while steering around a sharp corner with the other during a turn from north to west or west to north in the late afternoon.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I seriously wonder why cars don't just have two visors, one permanently mounted above the windshield and the other above the door. I especially wonder that as I try to swing the visor with one hand while steering around a sharp corner with the other during a turn from north to west or west to north in the late afternoon.

Some Fords (going back to the original Taurus of 1986) had a second sunvisor on the driver's side that you can swing down to cover the windshield once the main sunvisor was swung to cover the driver's window.

Wonder why they are called sun visors. Aren't they more properly sun shields?

Sorry, it is late. Good night. :)

ebill3 said:
Wonder why they are called sun visors. Aren't they more properly sun shields?
I know you were joking, but I didn't have a good answer, so I asked Wikipedia:
A visor (also spelled vizor) is a surface that protects the eyes, such as shading them from the sun or other bright light or protecting them from objects.
Dang! Who'd a thunk. Apparently the word goes back to the metal plates which swung up that knights used to have on their face masks.

Ray

Back