2013 Nissan Leaf Edges Closer To Production In Smyrna, TN

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
For what it's worth, I was at Solyndra two weeks before the shutdown, and they were indeed singing happy tunes.
While the managers were sucking up their bonuses and cleaning out their desks. Just business as usual.
Yup, I imagine that's exactly what was happening. A friend of mine predicted the backruptcy and reminded me of that possibility while touring their Fremont facility.

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
There are plenty of companies that close the doors every day, and many of them are singing happy tunes right until the day the doors are locked. Ask the Solyndra folks how the half billion US tax payer dollars went, and what the company was telling them right up until the doors were locked.
For what it's worth, I was at Solyndra two weeks before the shutdown, and they were indeed singing happy tunes.

you used to work there?

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
you used to work there?
Dave, it was just a factory tour, but I did consider applying there last year. Luckily, I didn't.

oh ok. ya that situation was a bummer but expected. with a flurry of startups there is always going to be someone that fails. its really too bad that they were not given a chance to succeed. i think they had a good product but underestimated the startup costs and should have realized that they needed to run at a loss for at least a few years first.

based on what? you could just as easily say: "who knows if the 2013 is even on schedule and if Nissan will even stay in the EV market. It's looking like they are going to have a heck of a time getting rid of the 2012 back stock in time. now is a particularly risky time to buy a 2012 Leaf." seriously, one can do better than your comments just making stuff up.

OrientExpress said:
Valdemar said:
With the declining sales numbers and battery degradation crisis about the only thing I'm curious about now is how much longer before they pull the plug on the Leaf.

The 2013 is on schedule and Nissan is in EVs for the long haul. The focus right now is inventory balancing the remaining 2012 cars, and clearing them out(shortages in some markets, overstock in others) Now is a great time to get a deal on a 2012.

GaslessInSeattle said:
based on what? you could just as easily say: "who knows if the 2013 is even on schedule and if Nissan will even stay in the EV market. It's looking like they are going to have a heck of a time getting rid of the 2012 back stock in time. now is a particularly risky time to buy a 2012 Leaf." seriously, one can do better than your comments just making stuff up.

Things are on schedule for the 2013 launch, just the other day Nissan posted a press release indicating that the 2013 will be start to be sold in Latin America with the first market being Puerto Rico.

On the topic of inventory, what you are seeing is the inventory imbalance issue, some markets, especially the initial launch markets have more cars than the newer markets where demand is still ramping up. Dealers on both sides of this equation are frustrated with this situation.

As with most year-end model transitions, there are dealer incentives now available to consumers that reduce the price of '12 significantly. Here in California it is in the order of $4~5K off of MSRP, combine that with the state and federal incentives can lower the price before taxes to as low as $25K. Several markets also have lease deals that have a monthly payment of $199.

These are exceptional deals for a perfectly viable closeout model.

these $5,000 incentives makes you wonder why car manufacturers dont do what a lot of cellphone manufacturers do is hold back the new stuff untill all the old stuff sells. but i guess when not shipping from a centralized distribution point that would be hard to manage nationwide.

ah if only cars were more portable~!

And after two years you could trade in your old Leaf and get a new one at a subsidized cost of 1/3 retail... :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
these $5,000 incentives makes you wonder why car manufacturers dont do what a lot of cellphone manufacturers do is hold back the new stuff until all the old stuff sells.

The 2013 is on schedule and Nissan is in EVs for the long haul.

If sales continue like they are, there won't be a long haul. They will cut losses and abandon the program. Companies do this everyday. You can't just keep throwing away billions more when you face the cold, hard reality that people don't want to buy electric only vehicles. You can't force the issue.

The worst thing Nissan could do is throw good money after bad. If a product isn't selling, it isn't selling. Eliminate that product line and concentrate on the ones that are selling.

I think EV's will come out on top, it's only a matter of time. Gas will get more expensive, and people will want alternatives. Remember, it's not only Nissan in the EV game, and there are more joining every day. There is a lot people who still don't even know you can buy an ev. I think I remember reading that Nissan sold more Leafs than 370Z's last year? Maybe they should abandon the 370z, or better yet, the Titan.

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Nissan North America Inc. announced Tuesday it has donated two Nissan LEAF cars and three charging stations to Middle Tennessee State University to promote the use of electric-vehicle technology.

Nissan will produce the LEAF in Smyrna by the end of the year and plans to open a new plant there this fall to produce lithium-ion batteries – the first facility of its kind in the U.S.
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...nates-leaf-vehicles-charging-stations-to-mtsu

Train said:
The 2013 is on schedule and Nissan is in EVs for the long haul.

If sales continue like they are, there won't be a long haul.

Not a chance, Nissan has made a strategic decision and it is not guided by the short attention span/quick profits mind-think that is prevalent in the US. They believe in "learn from your failures, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again."

They realize that a mix of propulsion options will be necessary in their product mix to differentiate themselves from their competition and to succeed in the 21st century vehicle business.

OrientExpress said:
Not a chance, Nissan has made a strategic decision and it is not guided by the short attention span/quick profits mind-think that is prevalent in the US. They believe in "learn from your failures, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again."
I thought you said there wasn't a problem??? Did I miss something? ;)

OrientExpress said:
Stoaty said:

Having a strategic philosophy that includes learning from failure is different from a tactical issue. :idea:
Oh, I see. The tactic is to deny there is a problem, while the strategy is to learn from how you screwed up. Crystal clear.

Edit: Are you talking about your own tactics and strategy, or Nissan's? ;)

I wonder how much gas mileage requirements factor into EV manufacturing plans. I assume the govt's intent is to make EV a necessity for auto companies to have in the mix.

Speculation here, since these days different cars roll off the same assembly line the costs of keeping a lower-volume selling model aren't as great as they once were, so slow sales alone might not kill it. They can certainly choose how much they want to spend on advertising and marketing at any point. But if other issues come up, like updates are needed to meet new regulations, some supplier contract ends, or if they're getting a bunch of lemon law complaints or warranty issues that force them to throw more money down the drain, yeah, I bet they'll take a much harder look at the program.

I believe that Nissan is in EVs for the long haul for mainly one reason. I cannot imagine that Nissan would commit to such large expenditures if they thought that the battery technology was at its zenith. I think it is a strong possibility that they do have a second generation battery in the wings. We know for a fact that there are better batteries in several laboratories now. I'm looking for some sort of announcement by the end of this year of taking one of those technologies and announcing commercialization of it. But that has to be a very closely guarded secret in order to sell the 2012s and 13s.

It would be interesting to know if the new battery plant has certain features that are built into it that would not be used for the current battery production but maybe there for the next generation.

Japan is said to have a much longer time frame than U.S. executives as has been mentioned earlier. Thus, I would look for Nissan to see this through the next generation of batteries that may give a 200 mile range or more. If U.S. consumers still cannot see the benefit of the niche that the LEAF provides, then I could see that they may stop sale and perhaps production in the U.S. $6.00 a gallon gas elsewhere in the world coupled with shorter distances than U.S. drivers could still make a strong case for EVs. We may just not have access to them.

Stoaty said:
OrientExpress said:
Stoaty said:

Having a strategic philosophy that includes learning from failure is different from a tactical issue. :idea:
Oh, I see. The tactic is to deny there is a problem, while the strategy is to learn from how you screwed up. Crystal clear.

I suspect that the spewage from OE will more closely mimic what Nissan will ultimately act on. Don't forget, he is the "official liaison to Nissan North America".

Back