2013 Nov Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2003, Volt 1920

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

All the numbers are now in. Porsche Plugin is the new one added for this month. Thanks to insideevs.com.

Totals are 12% down from last month, but 29% up from last year.

For 2013, 96% up over 2012. We will probably end up doubling last year's numbers - but shy of 100k.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins-table.png

How many LEAFs were in inventory a month ago?

I seem to remember there being less than 2,000 of them in stock not long ago, but now there are over 2,900 available.

Berlino said:
How many LEAFs were in inventory a month ago?

I seem to remember there being less than 2,000 of them in stock not long ago, but now there are over 2,900 available.

They peaked at about 2900 last month, ended the month around 2,700.

sidenote: I am praying the world ends before we have to do another monthly plug-in sales report on Tuesday...awful business, lol

Statik said:
sidenote: I am praying the world ends before we have to do another monthly plug-in sales report on Tuesday...awful business, lol
Does it help if we tell you we really appreciate you collecting this information? :)

Even after spending a few days with Nissan this month, I still have no idea what to guess.

But here goes:

LEAF: 2200
Volt: 1800

If we have a stellar November (and December), the total sales for the year may yet reach 100k. We have 23k left.

That would be a great milestone.

adric22 said:
When will the sales figures be released? I thought it would be today but haven't seen any mention.
Tomorrow.

Here is the reporting calendar -> http://www.motorintelligence.com/fileopen.asp?File=SR_SalesCal7.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We will get the December numbers on Jan-5.

Looks like Volt and Leaf will almost tie for the first place this year.

In other trivia, Spark will probably be the lowest selling plugin for the year.

evnow said:
Looks like Volt and Leaf will almost tie for the first place this year.

In other trivia, Spark will probably be the lowest selling plugin for the year.

Heeh, dog fight with the Hondas, lol (Accord PHV & Fit EV)

Also of note: GM will need to sell 2,759 Volts next month to avoid being the first plug-in vehicle to have a year over year sales drop. Toyota also has this problem as they need to sell 2,681 Prius PHV in next two months...which sounds easy given their recent price cut, and the more than 2,000 they sold last month...but dealers are OOS now (we'll get November data later today).

Statik said:
Yes, but my "money" is on Spark. Some GM fans actually thought, Spark would hurt Leaf sales !

Also of note: GM will need to sell 2,759 Volts next month to avoid being the first plug-in vehicle to have a year over year sales drop. Toyota also has this problem as they need to sell 2,681 Prius PHV in next two months...which sounds easy given their recent price cut, and the more than 2,000 they sold last month...but dealers are OOS now (we'll get November data later today).
Ouch for Volt. Apparently GM hasn't learnt a thing through bankruptcy. Getting YoY sales decline in a market that is growing at 90% is really bad. All those managers should lose their jobs.

evnow said:
Statik said:
Yes, but my "money" is on Spark. Some GM fans actually thought, Spark would hurt Leaf sales !

Ouch for Volt. Apparently GM hasn't learnt a thing through bankruptcy. Getting YoY sales decline in a market that is growing at 90% is really bad. All those managers should lose their jobs.

Re: Volt

Its odd because the same thing happened last year. I think maybe this year they were caught off guard by how quickly their overstocked 2013 Volts sold when they slashed the $5,000 off the MSRP + the exta $$$ on the '13s. Looking back they headed into the summer with over 10,000 units of inventory, they may have planned for them to last longer? I don't know...just a WAG on my part.

If I was a betting person, I would suggest they did that (overbuilt the 2013s) to be able to focus on the ELR production ramp in during the fall - into full December ELR production. But when they dropped those 3,350 Volts unexpectedly in August, they couldn't re-adjust 2014 Volt levels quickly enough to make up the future shortfall while building out the Caddy.

Given that the end of the year is the hot season, they probably should have just focused on the Volt and worry about the ELR in January...but hindsight is always 20/20, (=

So Nissan managed to grow LEAF sales by one unit this month...slow and steady...

...perhaps a bit TOO slow and TOO steady!

ELR production is set for tiny numbers. Basically 2k to 3k annually.

We will have to see if they ramp up production or not. I have no doubt they can, just a matter of will.

evnow said:
Statik said:

time for another price cut. match the C-Max Energi... might do it but fear its too little too late.

RegGuheert said:
So Nissan managed to grow LEAF sales by one unit this month...slow and steady...

...perhaps a bit TOO slow and TOO steady!

still supply constrained and that will accelerate to the EXTREME here very shortly. there is a major supply issue that is developing right now in our area.

the top dealer in the Pacific Northwest (he claims he is #1 in the country...but he is a car salesman after all) says they are getting 80 cars and that is all that is available until the 2014's are out and that could be 8-12 weeks which means close to normal sales for December 30-50% of normal for Jan and virtually an empty lot (for LEAFs) in Feb until the new models arrive.

Back