2013 S climate control timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medevac3

Looked at other post but they don't seem to help. My question is, if I plug in car to 110v to charge over night and set the climate control timer for 5:50 am, I come out to the car at 6 am, the car is fully charged but the heat is not on. What's up

Medevac3 said:
Looked at other post but they don't seem to help. My question is, if I plug in car to 110v to charge over night and set the climate control timer for 5:50 am, I come out to the car at 6 am, the car is fully charged but the heat is not on. What's up
The climate control timer is for the end time: that's when the CC turns off. If the car hasn't warmed up at all, it might have something to do with not having the timer set right. For the SV/SL you need to set time, days of the week and then save the timer. Programing for the S model is different and I'm not sure how to verify that the timer is saved correctly, having never seen one. On my 2012 when the CC timer is on there is an orange light on the CC control panel; I believe it should be the same for the 2013 SV/SL.

Be aware that preheating with Level 1, 120 Volt, charging might not work very well because the heater will draw more than the EVSE can supply. A level 2 EVSE will work better for preheating in cold weather.

It is helpful when asking questions to specify the year and model of your car because answers can differ.

Heat would stop at 5:50 am in this case. You are setting the time for heat to be DONE. The car decides when to turn the heat on. On 240v mine starts a half-hour before the set time. However, with 120v connection, the heat output may be quite low, as the heater usually draws more than what the 120v EVSE can supply.

Also, when setting the timer, be sure to hit "enter" a second time to exit the timer setting menu. Otherwise, your time will not be saved.

with a level one DO NOT DO IT! I can promise you you'll regret it, best thing is get a normal plug in car heater, put it on a simple timer and put it some where safe in the car, this will work way better for you!

I tried doing the heat with a level one and it drained my batteries as if it weren't there! barely made it home, never should have wasted the effort doing so, but on my level 2 30A charger it works great, toasty car and full pack.

XeonPony said:
...I tried doing the heat with a level one and it drained my batteries as if it weren't there! barely made it home, never should have wasted the effort doing so, but on my level 2 30A charger it works great, toasty car and full pack.
Thank you for giving another very cold weather perspective on preheating with Level 1. When I tried it after a night at -8ºF (-22ºC) it didn't help much, except that my charge level wasn't limiting — I only needed three fuel bars to get to the top of the next pass — so the drain on my battery wasn't of importance.

For the very cold climate folks:

• Preheating on Level 2 works well.
• Preheating on Level 1 doesn't help heat the car much and may drain the battery somewhat [perhaps depending on whether or not the car is set to charge or climate priority (SV/SL models)].

If one lives in the sunbelt and considers 45ºF "cold", preheating on Level 1 might be helpful; I've never tried it.

I'd say any attempt to preheat on level 1 is futile at best and most certainly counter productive, just use a secondary heater even at -10c it was useless at heating my SV it drained the batteries with negligable heat gained, the 1500w infared heater how ever!

I strongly do not recomend any preheating with L1 unless you got a full pack and only need to go 5 feet!

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like I will just not worry about pre-heat till my evse upgrade arrives in a few days. The one remaining question is; if car becomes fully charged will heat turn on and then turn off at set point?

Back