2013 SL with degraded battery? First time Leaf buyer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoshnasi said:
I don't know if it its premium. Not sure how long the ad will stay up as I'm reserved that car. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/685006260/overview/
Yeah. Looks like an SL but those guys sure know how to take useless pics.

Upon a quick look, couldn't see the nav system bezel (for the camera button) nor trunk area.

Interesting that the pic showed 12 capacity bars. If they are in fact the pics for that car, then it was the victim of a reset. Unclear if 10 bars reflects its true capacity or if it’s going to keep dropping a bar (or a few more) in the next few months.

Off the top of my head, $7,899 before TTL on an SL even w/o premium doesn't sound too bad. If it does hit 8 bars before the capacity warranty runs out, that'd make it a pretty good deal.

cwerdna said:
Hoshnasi said:
I don't know if it its premium. Not sure how long the ad will stay up as I'm reserved that car. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/685006260/overview/
Yeah. Looks like an SL but those guys sure know how to take useless pics.

Upon a quick look, couldn't see the nav system bezel (for the camera button) nor trunk area.

Interesting that the pic showed 12 capacity bars. If they are in fact the pics for that car, then it was the victim of a reset. Unclear if 10 bars reflects its true capacity or if it’s going to keep dropping a bar (or a few more) in the next few months.

HAH, Yeah I thought so too, those pictures were not helpful. I had to go in person to see it.

The car is being held for me until the SD card and charger are recovered or replaced before I put a dime down on it.

EDIT TO ADD, the CarFax mentioned some recall notices, so if/when this all works out with the purchase I'm going to be headed to the local Nissan dealership.

Looking at the pics, I see not only no Premium Package - the car has no backup camera at all, either, as best I can tell. That was an option in 2013, even on the SL

LeftieBiker said:
Looking at the pics, I see not only no Premium Package - the car has no backup camera at all, either, as best I can tell. That was an option in 2013, even on the SL
hmm, so its a "base" SL without the premium package and back-up camera? I didn't realize the camera as a separate option?

EDIT TO ADD: I google-fu'd up a listing. http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-overview-and-specifications/

Indeed, the 360 view was an option on all trim packages. Oh well, while I would have loved the premium, neither option are deal-breakers for me. I only listen to podcasts in my cars anyways :)

Thanks for all the great help everyone.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks! I was in a hurry at glancing at those pics and totally forgot to look at the Nissan hamburger logo in the front and the rear hatch area.

Yeah, it looks like this doesn’t have premium. Ones w/premium have a camera under the front hamburger, so it’s thicker like at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit/photos/2013-nissan-leaf-117. Also, rear camera would be visible like at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit/photos/2013-nissan-leaf-113. A car w/premium and those AVM would have those 2 cameras + 1 under each outside mirror.

Nissan’s official specs table is at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit under Specs. I can see RearView Monitor is optional on S and n/a on the rest. Around View Monitor is optional (part of packages) on SV and SL.

I still think it was a terrible move to make the backup camera an option on the SL in '13. Even on the SV, for that matter. It became standard in either '14 or '15, so people don't even think to look for it on the '13.

Backup camera was standard on 2011, 2012, and 2015 SL (not sure about 2014) so I am surprised to see that it was not included in 2013 (from specifications it appears it was the optional surround camera system or nothing). AHr readings from LEAF Spy are commensurate with the 10 capacity bars shown in the photos.

Backup camera was standard on 2011, 2012, and 2015 SL (not sure about 2014) so I am surprised to see that it was not included in 2013 (from specifications it appears it was the optional surround camera system or nothing).

I'm pretty sure you could get just a backup camera, although not 100% certain, now.

LeftieBiker said:
I still think it was a terrible move to make the backup camera an option on the SL in '13. Even on the SV, for that matter. It became standard in either '14 or '15, so people don't even think to look for it on the '13.
Backup camera was standard on all model Leafs in '14, all around was the only option for a different camera and it was only available on SV and SL models. Agree, I didn't realize on '13SV/SL's you had to get the premium to get any camera, that was poor IMO.

Hoshnasi said:
GerryAZ said:
AHr readings from LEAF Spy are commensurate with the 10 capacity bars shown in the photos.

Appreciate that. We'll see how the Ca. summer treats me going through to July 18'

My Leaf dropped the 9th bar at 42.7 AHrs. All conditions being the same, it appears you will drop close to 5 AHrs in the next year or so (using the 66.14 Ahrs starting capacity (???) of a new battery as an estimate). Some things in your favor - two summers of hotter temps, you can keep it fully charged all the time (I did), do lots of high speed highway driving to get the battery temps up, etc, etc (recommendations on this forum). If you don't make it, appears Nissan has been quite good about subsidizing the replacement for those that are so close to qualifying.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back