2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
I know I keep saying this, but so far we don't know when the 4th bar drops wrt SOH on 30kWh Leafs.

and hopefully it will be a long time before we do!

on another note; Lizard cars do seem to have better batteries. Steve Marsh on his 2014 (the "prelizard?") says he thinks he will hit 100,000 miles on it with all 12 bars intact so a significant improvement from his 2011 on the same tortuous commute.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
I know I keep saying this, but so far we don't know when the 4th bar drops wrt SOH on 30kWh Leafs.

and hopefully it will be a long time before we do!

on another note; Lizard cars do seem to have better batteries. Steve Marsh on his 2014 (the "prelizard?") says he thinks he will hit 100,000 miles on it with all 12 bars intact so a significant improvement from his 2011 on the same tortuous commute.

Dunno, I'm already down to 94% SOH since last March on the new pack. I've seen some data where the AHR would magically rise on these new 24kWh packs, we'll see.

DaveinOlyWA said:
One anecdote does not a trend make.

Call me cynical, but I think the absolute best way to insure that an owner will have a usable 24 kWh for the better part of 10 years/100k miles is to buy a 30 kWh battery model.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
One anecdote does not a trend make.

Call me cynical, but I think the absolute best way to insure that an owner will have a usable 24 kWh for the better part of 10 years/100k miles is to buy a 30 kWh battery model.

ok, how about 2?

80000 mile LEAF 2013 12 capacity bars.jpg

2013 LEAF says has lost less than 5% of his range from new. I can post more if you like.

Not suggesting this is the norm but its still ground that no 2011 or 12 has tread.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, how about 2? .
That is awesome!

I'd love to see a LeafSpy report on your car. The page with cell voltages and Ahr is a nice summary

mine is too new for a baseline right now. basic stats are in my signature but I have to see "some" degradation before I can really start to judge. That has not happened yet. I am still "pegged out" :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
....another note; Lizard cars do seem to have better batteries. Steve Marsh on his 2014 (the "prelizard?") says he thinks he will hit 100,000 miles on it with all 12 bars intact so a significant improvement from his 2011 on the same tortuous commute.
Dave, see if you can get Steve to post an update on his experience with the 2014. Thanks

Reddy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
....another note; Lizard cars do seem to have better batteries. Steve Marsh on his 2014 (the "prelizard?") says he thinks he will hit 100,000 miles on it with all 12 bars intact so a significant improvement from his 2011 on the same tortuous commute.
Dave, see if you can get Steve to post an update on his experience with the 2014. Thanks

for a general synopsis; his 2011 is over 150,000 and has lost 5 bars or so. It is now being used by his Mother. The 2014 is over 53,000 miles and latest LEAF Spy says he at 262 GIDs so down 7% or so. Keep in mind, the 2014 saw pretty light duty at first but now that he is driving it daily, should put on 35,000+ miles per year.

Despite all that he has gone thru (he did sign up for a T3 on day one) he likes his LEAF and wants to stick with it and as he says "A new battery is a heck of a lot cheaper than a $30,000 car"

^^^^Thanks. It sounds like we'll need to wait another year to see him reach 100,000 mi with the 2nd Leaf. I've followed his posts and knew about passing the 2011 to his mother.

rt84vhf said:
I ran this today on my 2016 SV. We have two of them; I'll get the info from the other one soon. They were mfg about 6 months apart.

Date of Mfg: 11/15
AHr: 73.79 (at 40.9% SOC)
SOH: 92 (I've seen this move all over, but it's only been charged a few times)
Hx: 88.91
odo: 354 mi
last 6 of vin: 303893
Battery serial: 230SM115BN002094

Wanted to give an update after 2k more miles.

mR9VU0O.jpg

jbuntz said:
Here is my latest.

AHr = 71.16 SOH = 89 hx=85.96 odo=2768 4QC 95 L2

vin 303765

We seem to be pretty close...

Just out of curiosity, are most of your charges done using the trickle charger, or do you use something else? Mine is almost entirely trickle charge, but my wife's gets about 50/50 with a 220V 30A. I'll check my wife's cars latest numbers later tonight. It was better than mine when I checked a few months ago.

Interestingly enough, today was nice so I went for a long ride and did another QC. I got to 95% on the QC and then checked the numbers again. It was up to AHr=71.06, SOH=89%, and essentially the same HX.

Mine are now exclusivly 6.6Kw L2. The nearest QC is about 20 miles away in a direction I hardly travel, so I have only done 2 QC so far.

I am curious what you think your average range is now? I seem to think I can cover about 90-100mi and that will get me past the LBW and into VLBW.

Yes, that range sounds just about right. My wife told me today that at 100% her GOM said 120. I just checked her battery (May 2016 mfg, Sept 2016 purchase)
4900 miles
76.34 Ah
SOH 96%
HX 91.1%

My car spent a summer sitting in Texas before it transferred dealers. Hers did not.

You know, this is starting to look like an ageing problem. It looks like everyone with a year old 30KWH battery has lost 10-15% of their capacity. It doesn't seem to matter whether they have high milage or not. It also doesn't seem to matter if they were sitting on the lot or in someone's driveway. It may be that the early batteries weren't "cooked" properly. There is apparently a burn-in process during manufacture that;s supposed to set the battery cell's chemistry. We need to hear from owners with later manufacture dates and see if they are having similar issues. I would really like to hear from anyone with a 2017 model.

Well mine was less than a month from factory to garage so it sat nowhere for any period of time and the numbers bear out.

In service date; 11/11/16 miles 5152, 32 fast charges, 61 regular. ahr; 82.34, GIDs 363, kwh available (GIDs=77.5 wh) 28.1, SOH 100%, Hx 99-103%

DaveinOlyWA said:
Well mine was less than a month from factory to garage so it sat nowhere for any period of time and the numbers bear out.

In service date; 11/11/16 miles 5152, 32 fast charges, 61 regular. ahr; 82.34, GIDs 363, kwh available (GIDs=77.5 wh) 28.1, SOH 100%, Hx 99-103%
Please let us know if your GID numbers start to drop. I'm most interested in how your battery does over the summer. That should help determine whether it's a general ageing problem or a bad batch of batteries. I hope it's just a bad batch of batteries and not a general problem. By the way, how many miles is your daily commute?

johnlocke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Please let us know if your GID numbers start to drop. I'm most interested in how your battery does over the summer. That should help determine whether it's a general ageing problem or a bad batch of batteries. I hope it's just a bad batch of batteries and not a general problem. By the way, how many miles is your daily commute?

my commute has near zero consistency. My daily driving miles Since Jan 1 have ranged from;

zero driving days; 5 times
10 or less; 7 times
11-25 miles; 8 times
26-50 miles; 5 times
51-75 miles; 11 times
76+ miles; 12 times

Work has been slow. Next week, I have 3 days that will be near or over 100 miles each day.

OK, It's the first of March. I've now got 23280 miles on the clock. Stats are 68.65AH SOH= 86% Hx=80.04%. 36 QC's and 429 L2 charges. Battery shows 314 GID's at full charge. I'm down slightly from last month but probably inside the margin for error as far as the GID's value is concerned. Nonetheless, the battery is slowly deteriorating even with lower temps during the winter. This next summer will tell the tale. I still show twelve bars but I have to be getting close to losing one. It has occurred to me that Nissan could have simply not revised the values for the bars to drop Since the values for low battery and VLBW are still the same as the 24KWH battery. In that case, I won't lose the first bar until I'm down to 235-240 GID's. If that's the case, NIssan will be back in court again.

Back