22,500 reservations, 7100 orders, 2100 deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

According to ABG

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/15/nissan-leaf-sales-updates-5000-deliveries-summer-deposit/

Nissan received around 22,500 reservations from all over the U.S.

2,094 Leafs have been delivered (as of June 3).

There are 5,000 people waiting for delivery in America. These are the people who live in the launch areas and officially ordered their vehicles.

When Nissan recently said "everyone in their Leaf by the end of summer," it meant these 7,000 people.

Nissan will open the doors to nationwide deliveries sometime in 2012.

80 percent of the 22,500 people who reserved a Leaf are "still in the system," Nissan spokeswoman Katherine Zachary told AutoblogGreen. The other way to look at this: 20 percent (around 4,500 people) have asked for their $99 deposit back.

That 80% may not include deliveries and thus 4,500 may be wrong.

I read this today and thought the numbers of US deliveries seemed low. Maybe I was just hoping there were more leafs on the road then there are. Regardless, I consider myself lucky to be driving a Leaf-ship already. The people need more Leaf-ships.

evnow said:
According to ABG

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/15/nissan-leaf-sales-updates-5000-deliveries-summer-deposit/

There are 5,000 people waiting for delivery in America. These are the people who live in the launch areas and officially ordered their vehicles.

When Nissan recently said "everyone in their Leaf by the end of summer," it meant these 7,000 people.

80 percent of the 22,500 people who reserved a Leaf are "still in the system," Nissan spokeswoman Katherine Zachary told AutoblogGreen. The other way to look at this: 20 percent (around 4,500 people) have asked for their $99 deposit back.

That 80% may not include deliveries and thus 4,500 may be wrong.

so 5,000 waiting orders in tier 1 states

they have said 1500 will be delivered in June, take that add July another 1500, august 1500
now you are at 4500, so by middle to end of september all those 5,000 should be delivered

Maybe then finally they will open tier 2 !

kmp647 said:
they have said 1500 will be delivered in June, take that add July another 1500, august 1500
now you are at 4500, so by middle to end of september all those 5,000 should be delivered

Maybe then finally they will open tier 2 !
They may open up the tier 2 ordering earlier. They would want to keep a full book of orders - so, depending on how many orders they are getting now in tier 1, they may open the orders earlier.

The other thing is, they may want to open the orders starting MY2012.

whats interesting and encouraging is they have added the cold package as an option for 2011 orders/builds

so I have been able to update my dashboard to a 2011 SL cold package car
I am reading into this that they would not have bothered with this if they were not going to be starting tier 2 sooner rather than later

for some time I had figured I would end up with a 2012, but now it is my thinking that I will get to order a 2011 SL cold by ~July or August, any later than that and I guess then it would be a 2012.the 2011 car would be built rather quickly after that and delivered by December at latest.

seeing the #s from the ABG article it would seem that they will need/want my order to keep thing going this year rather than next.

FWIW... I was told by a Nissan CS rep (by email) that ordering for Georgia, which is a tier 2 state should begin in August, but ordering in New Hampshire (forgotten 36) won't begin until spring 2012. He also referred toGA as "wave 2" and NH as "wave 5", so their schedule may have some additional changes. He would not elaborate on the entire schedule when I asked him. Someone else might want to ask CS about the roll out schedule changes.

anyone care to guess how many committed reservations are currently held outside of tier 1

and how many of those will translate to deliveries/sales?

22,500 x 20% drop out
that leaves 18,500
7,000 delivered by sept

that leaves 11,000 reservations in all the other markets
if 50% follow thu to order (might be high)

5,500 people waiting to order? like me in tier 2,3,4,5 markets

I emailed CS (yeah, I know) a couple days ago and they said NC would order this fall and that "it's very possilbe [sic] your Leaf could be delivered by the end of 2011." They went on to tell me to share that information with everyone so I guess they felt confident in saying that.

evnow said:
According to ABG
Equally intriguing is that the 20% ish orphans have NO trouble finding homes, on the quick.

So the latest ABG quote was "2,094 Leafs have been delivered (as of June 3)" which is slightly lower than the monthly sales tally that Nissan reported earlier which came out to be 2,167 as of June 1st.

"Overall, Leaf sales have now totaled 2,167 deliveries this year" - http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/01/may-sales-chevy-volt-481-nissan-leaf-1-142/

More interesting though is the large amount of cancellations. I was slightly surprised by it at first. I think a lot of people were frustrated with the long wait for the car and gave up. Good things come to those who wait though. It will be exciting to see how many cars Nissan can sell when they have a surplus of cars and open the ordering system to all the states. Enjoy the cold weather package future Leafers.

EVDrive said:
...Good things come to those who wait though. It will be exciting to see how many cars Nissan can sell when they have a surplus of cars and open the ordering system to all the states. Enjoy the cold weather package future Leafers.

I am still patiently waiting... in the "forgotten 36" aka "tier 3" aka "wave 5". Hoping my house will sell so I can move to Georgia (my daughter and her family live there) and order sooner. But in the mean time I patiently wait.

"Future LEAFers", I like that!! :)

I am TOPCATLEAF and I originally had created a link encouraging and hoping they would open reservations for North Carolina before the 2012 models came out. Well, I finnally have heard from them with my chance to reserve the Leaf and I only have the choice of the 2012 model. I have carefully considered it and thought about it and weighed all the matter. I am a retiree and as it stands now I am not in a tax bracket which allows me to order now at the higher prices of the 2012 model. I had planned to take money from savings to buy the car and at this point in life with all the uncertainty of our economy, cuts possible to medicare and SSI and even to my pension and the ongoing threat to 401 K savings I have had to say out loud the price increase of the 2012 model realistically took me out of the market for the Leaf. It is just too expensive. I had contributed to the relief effort voluntarily in Japan in the wake of that terrible earthquake disaster and I am simply appalled nissan and Toyota have both raised prices by so much after the disaster. I have decided to just sit on my money and drive what I am driving. You can buy a lot of gas for my old junkers for what that Leaf costs! this attitude Nissan and Toyota have of marking up prices for their profits.........sitting back and saying over a period of years we as consumers will recover the costs of the car......the increased cost....with the gas savings.......just does not add up. I figure my dollars may not earn much interest in a CD but it is better than putting it into Nissan profits. The Nissan Leaf is now over priced in my opinion. I will continue to look for a new Prius II at a good deal. Folks have quit buying cars right now in my area in N. C.. So NISSAN YOU DID IT. YOUR PRICE INCREASE ADDED TO THE FACT I CANNOT GET THE $7500 TAX BREAK HAS COST YOU A CUSTOMER. AS I SEE IT THE ONLY WAY THAT COULD CHANGE IS IF CONGRESS CHANGED IT TO A DEALER 7500 BUCKS TAX CREDIT THAT CAME OFF EVERY CAR REGARDLESS OF BUYER TAX BRACKET. AT LEAST THAT WOULD BE FAIR AND NOT MISLEADING. What is happening is a lot of people order the Leaf, and then figure out they are not eligible for the tax break of 7500 bucks and back out on the deal! so goodbye Leaf for me........looking for Prius deal. topcatleaf.

TOPCAT, you can still take advantage of the full amount of the $7500 tax credit by leasing the car. If that is the only reason to not buy the car. A lease would also not require you to take a lot of money out of your retirement accounts when the are depleated because of our inept politicians. Oh... sorry... did I type that outloud? Does NC also have a tax break for buying an electric car? Maybe being retired that would not be a consideration.

Topcat, i just paid $15 in electricity for my first 1,000 miles. It's not just about the money, it is about how we can contribute to not totally decimating the earth, stop global warming.

I'm leasing because I couldn't afford to buy, protection against the uncertainty
of devaluation, I purchase new vehicles every three years anyway & I want to
show support for the alternative energy movement.

Topcat, if you can negotiate a good lease (.00204 MF/4.9%), you could have a payment around $425-445/mo and receive the full $7500 fed tax credit. I would recommend a 36 mos. lease with 12K-15K miles depending on how much you think you will drive. The residual after 3 years will be around $15K and then you can decide to buy it or return it. You will LOVE this car!

kmp647 said:
Retired? Take a lower milage lease and reduce the payment further!

The lowest is 12K for the LEAF. He could, however, take a longer lease and reduce his payment. I took the 36 because the warranty expires after that.

Retired and you are holding on to U.S. dollars? Track the explosion in money supply M2. Spend your money on long lived tangible assets quickly, you know precious metals like lithium....

As others have said, take the lease option to get the tax credit--though I have seen preliminary tax legislation that will allow purchasers to take the credit upon purchase in 2012 (not yet signed into law). I have read somewhere about a single payment lease option where you buy the car after making the first lease payment or two.

The price increase you just saw is nothing compared to what is coming. The real value of your SS monthly check will be devalued shortly. It must be devalued using inflation to meet the unfunded $66 Trillion deficit.

Back