2nd LEAF in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boulder Nissan told me my SV would arrive "by the end of next week" (guess that means by Jan 14), my dashboard says week of Jan 13th (guess that means between Jan 13th and 20th). I have had a VIN for a couple of weeks now.

Even at this stage, I am still looking for an orphan SV!

milanski said:
Boulder Nissan told me my SV would arrive "by the end of next week" (guess that means by Jan 14), my dashboard says week of Jan 13th (guess that means between Jan 13th and 20th). I have had a VIN for a couple of weeks now.

Even at this stage, I am still looking for an orphan SV!

On DEC 29th, Boulder Nissan received 4 Leafs. One of them was blue and the dealer called me to pick up, but unfortunately it belonged to someone else. The estimated deliver time is JAN 2nd for me, but it has not arrived yet.

Just FYI[/quote]
And, as you can see from seeker's information above, the Federal tax credit needs to be subtracted from IPD before determining the Colorado tax credit (because it reduces the "Incremental Price Difference" over the conventional fuel car). To get a full $6000 credit it appears that the IPD would need to be $14,559 in tax year 2011 and $15,500 in tax year 2012. Will it really be that high? If one doesn't qualify for the full Federal tax credit, does that change the calculation? I have no idea.
I didn't see anything mentioned subtraction of Federal tax credit in Colorado document. Why isn't this item in their equation?

xiaoyu80305 said:
On DEC 29th, Boulder Nissan received 4 Leafs. One of them was blue and the dealer called me to pick up, but unfortunately it belonged to someone else. The estimated deliver time is JAN 2nd for me, but it has not arrived yet.

One of those Leafs was their demo...
Sorry you missed your 2011 tax year delivery. I was hoping for that too...

milanski said:
xiaoyu80305 said:

One of those Leafs was their demo...
Sorry you missed your 2011 tax year delivery. I was hoping for that too...

I paid and got my invoice on DEC 30th 2011, and you?

xiaoyu80305 said:
And, as you can see from seeker's information above, the Federal tax credit needs to be subtracted from IPD before determining the Colorado tax credit (because it reduces the "Incremental Price Difference" over the conventional fuel car). To get a full $6000 credit it appears that the IPD would need to be $14,559 in tax year 2011 and $15,500 in tax year 2012. Will it really be that high? If one doesn't qualify for the full Federal tax credit, does that change the calculation? I have no idea.

I didn't see anything mentioned subtraction of Federal tax credit in Colorado document. Why isn't this item in their equation?
That appears to be an interpretation by the Division of Revenue of this wording:
(3) The amount of the credit allowed pursuant to this section shall be an amount equal to the percentage, as set forth in subsection (4) of this section, of the following:

(a) The difference between the actual cost incurred by such person during the tax year in purchasing a motor vehicle that uses an alternative fuel and the cost of the same motor vehicle that uses a traditional fuel or, if the same vehicle is not available, then the cost of the most similar vehicle, taking into account the model, make, engine size, and options, that uses a traditional fuel;
Colorado Revised Statutes

Since the federal tax credit reduces the "actual cost" of the vehicle purchased, it is included in the calculation. You might be able to challenge that interpretation if you wish but it seems unlikely to succeed.

dgpcolorado said:
xiaoyu80305 said:

That appears to be an interpretation by the Division of Revenue of this wording:
(3) The amount of the credit allowed pursuant to this section shall be an amount equal to the percentage, as set forth in subsection (4) of this section, of the following:

(a) The difference between the actual cost incurred by such person during the tax year in purchasing a motor vehicle that uses an alternative fuel and the cost of the same motor vehicle that uses a traditional fuel or, if the same vehicle is not available, then the cost of the most similar vehicle, taking into account the model, make, engine size, and options, that uses a traditional fuel;

Since the federal tax credit reduces the "actual cost" of the vehicle purchased, it is included in the calculation. You might be able to challenge that interpretation if you wish but it seems unlikely to succeed.

The state tax credit also reduces the "actual cost" of the vehicle purchased. Should it also be included in the calculation? You didn't pay reduced price while you got the car.

xiaoyu80305 said:
The state tax credit also reduces the "actual cost" of the vehicle purchased. Should it also be included in the calculation? You didn't pay reduced price while you got the car.
No, that would be absurd. That law is designed to specify the amount of tax credit available, it wouldn't make sense to then have to plug the credit into the formula used to calculate it. That's not how such things work.

Mine slipped to "week of January 13, 2012". I emailed the dealer and he said that a Leaf shipment got held up in Japan for inspections (some of the Leafs were missing the VIN on the transmission) and they checked all 1200 that were waiting to get put on a ship here. This put the cars into the dock here in the US at the holidays so it delayed delivery because of the days off for the US dock workers. He also said as my Leaf comes closer to arriving he will get the build sheet from Nissan which means it is 3-5 days out at that point.

So still waiting here! Hoping for next week.

dgpcolorado said:
xiaoyu80305 said:

I found the document titled "FYI Income 9 Alternative Fuel Income Tax Credits" helpful. Sorry I can't link it but a Google search should find it. It includes the following statement:

"For vehicles purchased on or after January 1, 2010, the cost used in the computations described above must be
reduced by any credits, grants, or rebates, including federal credits, grants, or rebates for which the purchaser is
eligible."

"For vehicles purchased on or after January 1, 2010, the cost used in the computations described above must be
reduced by any credits, grants, or rebates, including federal credits, grants, or rebates for which the purchaser is
eligible."[/quote]

Thanks, I saw this statement on the page 2 under "Computation of Credit - for 2010 and 2011" (last paragraph). Right now we need the new figure of Incremental price difference for 2012 Leaf. Could we use 2011 figure adding the price increase to be 2012 figure? I have sent an email to IRS of Colorado. I will update the information as soon as I received answer.

xiaoyu80305 said:
I am going to pickup my Leaf 3:00pm today!

Lol we needs details. What dealership!?

If all goes well GRATS!

Edit:

xiaoyu80305 said:

Looks to be Boulder, Co is the first to get 'em.

I got my Leaf. The dealership is Boulder Nissan. There was only one Leaf arrived to this dealership today. I have blue one. The dealer told me there will be 11 Leafs coming in next week. I am one of the few lucky owners to get invoiced in 2011.

The Leaf is officially in Colorado! (Not counting those who bought out of state ;) )

If only I bought from Boulder, it's only 50 miles away! Oh well guess I'll have to wait a few more days.

xiaoyu80305 said:
I got my Leaf. The dealership is Boulder Nissan. There was only one Leaf arrived to this dealership today. I have blue one. The dealer told me there will be 11 Leafs coming in next week. I am one of the few lucky owners to get invoiced in 2011.

Awesome!

I guess we'll start seeing them on the road now.

I was in there yesterday for a test drive of their 2012 SL black demo. Two chargers installed outside. Relatively knowledgeable on the Leaf. No pressure. All SL orders, except for my SV which is due to arrive in about a week.

milanski said:
I was in there yesterday for a test drive of their 2012 SL black demo. Two chargers installed outside. Relatively knowledgeable on the Leaf. No pressure. All SL orders, except for my SV which is due to arrive in about a week.

Three chargers to be exact. Nigel (he looks and sounds like Michael King) drove the black demo to my house to pick me up yesterday afternoon. Very nice service!

Back