3.3KW Regrets?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erco said:
Thanks for all the replies. I bought the car yesterday and I love it. LeafSpy says the SOH is 86%... so when does it drop to 11 bars, prolly soon?
I would bet on next April, if I had to pick a month.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. Still loving the car, 3.3 kW charger & all.

One question: Am I missing a connector cover in my engine compartment? I see lots of colorful wires that look fairly exposed compared to everything else near them. Photo at http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=21641&d=1509317869 This is on the firewall, drivers side, behind the 12V battery.

attachment.php

erco said:
Once again, thanks for all the replies. Still loving the car, 3.3 kW charger & all.

One question: Am I missing a connector cover in my engine compartment? I see lots of colorful wires that look fairly exposed compared to everything else near them. Photo at http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=21641&d=1509317869 This is on the firewall, drivers side, behind the 12V battery.

attachment.php

@erco, unable to see your image, because the picaxeforum site requires registration. Does the area look something like this: http://c8.alamy.com/comp/HG4TXJ/nissan-leaf-engine-bay-usa-HG4TXJ.jpg

If so, then nothing's missing.

Perfect, thanks. My car looks just like that, same color too. :) In that pic, you can see the multicolor wires (and 8 yellow dots) going to the connector right behind the 12V battery. I guess I'm not missing a cover then.

Sorry you couldn't see my pic at that Picaxe forum. This forum is great but it needs image capability!

erco said:
Perfect, thanks. My car looks just like that, same color too. :) In that pic, you can see the multicolor wires (and 8 yellow dots) going to the connector right behind the 12V battery. I guess I'm not missing a cover then.

Sorry you couldn't see my pic at that Picaxe forum. This forum is great but it needs image capability!

My 2011 had covers over the connections under the hood so I was sure a cover was missing on that connector of my 2015 the morning after I picked it up. I had to go look at two or three others on the dealer's lot before I was convinced the exposed wires were "normal". I fabricated a rubber boot to protect those wires on mine because we get hard rain (when it does rain). Enjoy your "new to you" car. The only time you will miss the fast charging package is if you run short and must charge to get home.

Thanks Gerry. Nice to hear I'm not the only one who thought something was missing. There are tabs on the mating connector housing that sure look like they should hold a over on.

I'm replying as I sit here at my local Nissan dealer getting my first annual battery check for $30. Beautiful lobby, coffee, snacks, Wifi, and a free car wash... what's not to like? Great first Nissan experience, provided there's no "five o'clock surprise" coming.

Edit: No charge for the battery check, the service writer said I still had one under warranty. Said the car is in great shape overall (Phew!). He DID recommend a $185 brake flush and $275 transducer (transmission?) flush, which I passed on, for now anyway. Sounds a bit steep...?

Brake flush every 3 years, transmission oil change every 60-80k miles or up to 4-5 years.
Brake flush takes around 20 minutes, fluid costs 10€, transmission around 30 minutes, though oil costs like 50-80€.
Coolant flush around 30 minutes, fluid costs 50-70€. Every 3-4 years or 50-60k miles.

Maximum acceptable: brake fluid 4,5 years, transmission 100k miles, up to 6-7 years, coolant 5 years 100k miles.
Too early interval: brake fluid: no less than 2 years. Transmission, no less than 4 years, 40k miles, coolant no less than 2 years.

No regrets, I'm still loving my 3.6 kW slow-charging 2014 Leaf S after 2.5 months. It dropped its first bar a month after I got it, so the seller timed it just right! I have a 3.8 kW AmazingE EVSE at home. There's lots of free L2 charging in my neighborhood (LA suburb), and from what others tell me, some of the free chargers might be limited to 3.6 kW anyway, so I'm not missing out there. I haven't had to pay for any charging yet, but it's fun to scout out the local chargers to share info & pics on Plugshare. Some of those are 6+kW chargers, and have an hourly rate (vs. per kW), meaning I'd get less charge per $$ than a 6.6kW Leaf, so that's a drawback. There's a Tesla model 3 owner I see charging for free (L2) at McDonald's. He's had his car back for service twice since December. ;)

Just checking in, exactly two years after buying my 2014 with the 3.6 kW charger (no QC). Zero regrets, absolutely love the car. More than ever now that gas is $4/gallon. Despite what someone else thought here, I got an amazing deal on this car, especially for southern California.. Paid $7500, got a $450 rebate from SCE (https://evrebates.sce.com/) . Looking for another Leaf for the wife, but nothing is close to the price I paid. I could sell my car today for more than I paid for it. Easily my best car purchase ever.

I live near Los Angeles, where I see more & more Teslas every day. Not so many new Leafs though. :eek:

Figured I'd chime in, though I'm using L1 (1.4kWh) charging. We try to use it as an errand car on the weekends, and I'm working to convince my wife to use it for her work commute instead of our big heavy minivan. Maybe with winter here, she'll love the steering wheel heater enough to leave the ICE vehicle at home :)

For my use case, it's a second vehicle to the family since I walk to a train station for my commute. Having L1 charging, even just 6 hours a night (to use cheaper electricity) and it's recovered enough to be fully usable on the weekend again.

Kinda nice. My math says it's about 30% the cost of driving a mile compared to our Odyssey, in terms of energy.

^ Has your wife ever driven the Leaf in traffic? Even in an older car without e-pedal you hardly ever need to touch the brake unless you need to come to a complete stop, and acceleration is faster and smoother than pretty much any ICE car. Add in how much easier it is to park a Leaf compared to a minivan and I can't see how anyone wouldn't be an instant convert. Traffic still sucks, but it is at least bearable in an EV.

^^^ Not surprised you have done fine with the 3.3 kW charger. Other than saving a few dollars on electricity by occasionally using free public charging when the opportunity presented itself, there is nothing I wouldn't have been able to do if my car only had a 3.3 kW charger. My home EVSE is a 16 A because it was cheap and the wiring to my garage couldn't support 32 A, but that is still plenty to fully charge the car overnight, and that gives enough range for all of the around town driving I have ever wanted to do in a day (unless it is really cold and I have to plug in at work, but there is only L1 available there so it still wouldn't have made any difference).

Back