5.1 M/KWH today--141 miles range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 mi/ kw is pretty good. At 35 mph I think Edmunds did 132 miles to dead on a flat 7 mile oval track with no AC. No way I could get that with my long commute. Too many hills (1500 foot elevation at home and 35 feet at work). I've put exactly 800 miles on my LEAF since I picked it up from the dealer on the April 29th. My TOU EVSE second meter indicates I 've used 177 Kw-hrs for 4.51 miles /Kw from the wall, but my car has been showing 4.8 to 5.1 mi/Kw so that's a difference of roughly 7 to 13 %. Must be the inefficiency of the charging system. :)

Dam Jason you were getting 6M+/KWH :shock: That is great ..My avg. is now 5.3 and I will feel lucky if I hit 5.5M/KWH

Bassman said:
At 35 mph I think Edmunds did 132 miles to dead on a flat 7 mile oval track with no AC.
That should be similar to what Jason got - like 6.1 m/kwh.

I get that kind of mpkwh only on my downhill trip :lol:

EVNOW ,Im pretty lucky with flat roads to drive on to and from work and also late night driving..

If im averaging 5.3 miles per KWH x 24 battery packs = 127.2 miles ..If my calculations are correct..

Im hoping for a 5.5 avg. but that would still just put me at 132 miles..

Im now calling the Leaf Christine, because she likes to tease me with read outs of 141 miles estimates in the morning..She knows how to get to me mentally each day :lol:

mark13 said:
If im averaging 5.3 miles per KWH x 24 battery packs = 127.2 miles ..If my calculations are correct..
For this purpose we have seen that it is better to use 21 or 22 kwh. So 5.3 should get you around 115 miles.

mark13 said:
Dam Jason you were getting 6M+/KWH :shock: That is great ..My avg. is now 5.3 and I will feel lucky if I hit 5.5M/KWH

You kidding, right? Cause these 6 m/kwh don't give me any extra miles :(

Hmm so Im really confused...Could the battery output be bigger then advertised ? I know i travel farther then 112 miles on a charge and I hope my charged miles estimator is not that far off..

The size of the battery assembled into YOUR car is determined by the award winning software from CriticalMass, and consists of your place in the reservations line, divide by ordinal number of your order month, then add the last four digits of your VIN, and finally, multiply by your Dealer #. The result is truncated to the nearest 1/10 Wh.

:lol:

(Sorry ...)

I do use cruise control as often as I can. I never engage it below 60.

When I left the dealership with an 86 mile trip home, the Nissan salesman told me not to use cruise control to maximize my range. How much of a penalty can using cruise control be? Does anyone know?

solarman said:
I do use cruise control as often as I can. I never engage it below 60.
When I left the dealership with an 86 mile trip home, the Nissan salesman told me not to use cruise control to maximize my range. How much of a penalty can using cruise control be? Does anyone know?
It's kinda like the old saw about manual transmissions being more efficient than automatics. It's true IF you are good at efficient driving. If you're the kind who will keep speeding up and slowing down from inattention without the cruise control, then use it. But if you can feather the accelerator using just what's needed to stay in the speed range you want, then that's better.

In my Prius, I once got 60mpg over one 30 mile freeway stretch in the area. The cruise control set at 65 over that stretch basically gets 42mpg. Manual control on a normal day gets me maybe 46mpg. The 60mpg number required allowing the speed to rise to 75 on downhills, and letting it drop to 60 on the uphills.

mark13 said:
Hmm so Im really confused...Could the battery output be bigger then advertised ? I know i travel farther then 112 miles on a charge and I hope my charged miles estimator is not that far off..

If only you knew how I am confused and upset with this...

So did you really travel 112 miles or is it your projection based on miles driven and/or range estimate reading?

Well this is day # 13 with the car ...Im still averaging 5.3 miles/KWH... I was told the firmware was updated back at Cal..I have no problem driving 112 miles..I will scan the books tonight to find out where the reset is for the trip odometer..My car DVD did not work on my computer or in the car :cry:

Day 16 ...Fresh charge... 5.5 M/KWH... 148 estimated miles per charge... http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5720263630/in/photostream

I set the trip odometer today...It should be interesting to see how far I can really go on a 100% charge..

mark13 said:
Day 16 ...Fresh charge... 5.5 M/KWH... 148 estimated miles per charge... http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5720263630/in/photostream

I set the trip odometer today...It should be interesting to see how far I can really go on a 100% charge..
Estimated range depends more on your last few miles, rather than the entire trip.

Ok. Drive it. Log your trip. Post back with results.

Without setting a special route I look to be getting no more than 110 miles or so and that is no freeway speeds to boot

I can drive a two way trip of 33.8 miles each way (total about 67 miles) from a full charge of 12 bars, 92 miles estimated range. I get an extra 10 miles estimated range by going down a 250 foot hill to I-5 freeway. About 85% of the trip is freeway driving in ECO mode with cruise control set at less than or about 55mph. I arrive back home with two bars and 13 miles range left. That would calculate out to be about 80 miles max actual range. Have done this twice, once drizzly, once sunny, with no A/C, just a low fan and radio on. That is about all I feel I can confidently do now.
How you guys get even close to 100 miles driven on a full charge is beyond my understanding.
Gregg

starry said:
I can drive a two way trip of 33.8 miles each way (total about 67 miles) from a full charge of 12 bars, 92 miles estimated range. I get an extra 10 miles estimated range by going down a 250 foot hill to I-5 freeway. About 85% of the trip is freeway driving in ECO mode with cruise control set at less than or about 55mph. I arrive back home with two bars and 13 miles range left. That would calculate out to be about 80 miles max actual range.
Forget the guessometer. My belief is, with the upgraded firmware, that if you have two bars left you actually have between 20% and 27% of the available capacity left, depending on how long you have been at two bars. If you dropped to two bars just before you got home that means your extrapolated mileage on a full pack would be 67.4 / (1 - 0.27) = 92.3 miles. You're not that far below 100. You should also note that the Nissan-provided driving scenario which included freeway driving at 55 gave only a 70 mile range.

Ray

Its possible to get that if he is not getting on the hwy, and not using either the friction or regen brakes.. if he is a consistent driver with no hills then the Guestimator™ should be fairly close. A lot of ifs. A good downhill run just before shutting off the car will throw off the guess.

Im now up to averaging 5.7 M/KWH ..This pic was taken last week,5.6 M/KWH..We had a cool spell hit Phx last week so I could hypermile all week..For the next 4 months tho it going to getting stinking hot here in Phx, so Im going to need the AC on both day and night and so goes my great mileage..
No freeway driving and flat roads and with plenty of coasting into red lights..Finding that sweet spot where you maintain 8 M/KWH going into a red light is very important..My brakes are going to last 200000 miles :shock:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5764364886/

Back