66 mile commute in Wisconsin

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one problem people who will try to sell Leafs used will have - no CWP. In northern states it will be a serious handicap.

LeafinThePark said:
thefortunes said:
I've been trying to find another with cwp...so far, no luck.

If anyone comes across one in discussions with their dealer I would appreciate a 'heads up.'

Thanks.

Me too!

I'm in Minnesota and am in the same boat...looking for a 2011 orphan with CWP. Earlier this week I though I found one...but after contacting the dealer they said it was a 'misprint' on the website.

http://www.vallejonissan.com/VehicleDetails/new-2011-Nissan-LEAF-4dr_HB_SV_w%2FCold_Weather_Pkg_*Ltd_Avail*-Vallejo-CA/1123706173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course it's two days later and they haven't fixed it.

Hey! Stop looking (you may find 'mine')! :lol:

I live just north of Toronto and commute 25 miles each way to the office. Had the Leaf for over 3 weeks and it's been hovering around
the freezing mark every day. If I could not plug it at work it would be a nail biter every day to see if I could get home at night. There were a few days where I thought it looked like I could give it at try, but plugged in at work anyway. My humble opinion, you gotta find a plug at work or use the ICE car when it's icy.

PS: I use the heater sparingly. Heaters are like bankers, when you need them the most you can't afford them, or the sacrafice you have to make is unacceptable.

brent said:
I live just north of Toronto and commute 25 miles each way to the office. Had the Leaf for over 3 weeks and it's been hovering around
the freezing mark every day. If I could not plug it at work it would be a nail biter every day to see if I could get home at night. There were a few days where I thought it looked like I could give it at try, but plugged in at work anyway. My humble opinion, you gotta find a plug at work or use the ICE car when it's icy.

PS: I use the heater sparingly. Heaters are like bankers, when you need them the most you can't afford them, or the sacrafice you have to make is unacceptable.

Brent, are you preheating while plugged in before leaving for work?

Yeh pre-heating while plugged in both ways.... and as pointed out above, over pre-heating maybe.
But I find if I really get it toasty inside before leaving, I can go 10 to 15 minutes before I turn on the
climate control again. And never have issues with fogging on the windshield.

And I always run in eco mode unless I'm trying to merge into traffic.

From what I'vd seen, I'm guessing when it gets up to 45 degrees or so, the round trip will be good on
one charge. Then again, I suspect that may need a 100% charge and there is nothing I can find that
shows the trade off in overall battery life of one 100% charge ( which we know is not good ) or two
80% charges ( we know the extra charge cycles are not so good either ).

PS: I've done some flying and done some longer trips offshore, so those experiences have taught me some lessons.
While running out of juice 5 miles from home in a Leaf is not at all like running out of gas a 25,000 ft over the ocean,
it's still an experience that does not add to the quality of one's life. The first all electric car I ever saw was a Tesla, being winched
to the deck of a two truck on Canada's busiest highway. I don't want to add to that image, especially when I get my
"100% Electric" chrome letters on the back.

Brent,
What speeds do you travel back and forth to work? 401 highway?
I will be driving 17 miles each way on back roads; mostly 40 - 45 mph.
Going to try charging to 100% at first, preheat in the garage in the morning but no plug in at work.
I'm going to also set the climate control where I normally would in an ICE and see how I do.
Then I hope to reduce to 80% charge. Should be interesting as temps get into the 20's and teens later in the year here in MA.

ghable

almost exactly 1/2 of my run is on back roads where I do about 75 kph ... 40-45 mph.

the second half is on hwy 427 that averages about 80kph 50-55 mph, with breif
spurts up to 100-105kph 60-65 mph when we get rare holes in the traffic.
I drop about 350 ft going to work (right beside the Toronto Int'l airport)
and climb up on the way home. I "think" I can see the difference in the kWh used
going each way but I havn't plotted it from Carwings yet.

brent said:
almost exactly 1/2 of my run is on back roads where I do about 75 kph ... 40-45 mph.

Brent, the range chart is now in metric, too!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brent said:
Then again, I suspect that may need a 100% charge and there is nothing I can find that shows the trade off in overall battery life of one 100% charge ( which we know is not good ) or two 80% charges ( we know the extra charge cycles are not so good either ).

I used to think that it was a really bad idea to charge up to 100%, then I found out that Nissan never allows it since they limit the cell voltage to 4.1V.. that works out to about 87% charge, and that is not too bad if you only do it half the year and just top off the battery before you use it.. time spent at high voltage is what damages the battery. In addition the cool weather half the year will prolong battery life anyways. In about 15 years you will be so tired of the still functioning old pack that you will eagerly fork over the 5000 New Dollars to a get a 300 mile pack.

Herm

I have found that even with the timer set to the 80% limit, it stops at 83. Rounding/ step-level error maybe.

In any case, depending on how the morning goes, I use Carwings to start the pre-heat. Since I got the EVSE 16 amp upgrade, the preheat is not only much better, but the battery charge gets boosted to between 90 and 100%. I got the impression elsewhere, like you point out, that

it was time at 100% that was detramental, so with the immediate start of the drive to work, I figured it was not such a sin.

Tony: I downloaded your chart and printed it . Nice work. Thanks.

brent said:
Then again, I suspect that may need a 100% charge and there is nothing I can find that
shows the trade off in overall battery life of one 100% charge ( which we know is not good ) or two
80% charges ( we know the extra charge cycles are not so good either ).
It's always better to do multiple smaller charges than one big charge in terms of cycle life, so charging at work is a good thing.

Was trying to figure out why you were having an issue driving 50 miles at moderate speeds even in the cold, but then realized that you're only charging to 80% in which case it could be cutting it close.

In terms of improving cycle life I feel if you can avoid 100% charges and going to 1 bar or less as much as possible you'll extract maximum life out of the battery, but I would never hesitate to suggest one to charge to 100% if you need it.

There's many people charging to 100% and driving 65 miles a day on the freeway at 65 mph (in much warmer weather) in between charges with no apparent ill effects so far, but then most haven't been doing it for even a year yet.

So it's really cold here this morning. -17C +1F. The car was in the unheated garage last night and at 8:00 am I logged on and turned on the climpate control and charger. That boosted the battery from 93% to 100% and I started off to work. There were 4 bars on the battery temp. The same as I had seen since I got the car. I'm sorry I did not note the air temp in the garage before I backed out. Initially the GOM said 152 Km range then I turned on the climate control and it dropped immediately to 120 Km. I left the climate control on the entire trip to work. No defrost needed. ECO mode. When I got to work, a 40 Km run, the GOM said I had 83Km of range left. Theoretically enough to get home, but, there is a 350 ft climb, it will be into the wind and the battery will definitely be cold that it was when I started from the house. The temp outside now is -15C +5F with the Hi expected to be -12C +10F

So this is about a 40km 25 mile commute. No problem now, but the battery is warmer than I expected it would be given the outside air temp. I'm charging now for the trip home later and see how we do with a colder battery and will post the results as an edit to this post

EDIT: the trip home
well quite a difference on the way home. Feeling pretty good this morning about the accuracy of the GOM and having lots of range left when I got to work, so I only put on the 80% charge. Outside temp was -15C / +5F when I left work. Preheated for about 20 minutes before unplugging. (shorter than normal for me) Curiously, it was still showing 4 bars on the battery temp. At the start the GOM said 112 Km range. By the time I got home it was 22 :shock: The outside temp was down to -17C again. If I had not recharged at work there is no way I would have made it. If I had encountered a traffic jam it would have been and interesting exercise to see if I figured out I was in trouble in time to turn off the climate control and have enough juice to get home. Yes ... used ECO mode all the way and the shorter preheat seemed to make a dif. My feet where cool most of the way.

So that was a drop of roughly 80 km on a 40 km run. From the first lie the GOM told me when I left work to arriving at home.
Granted, 350 ft climb. But no wind and approximately the same air temp. The big difference ... I think ... was a colder battery.

So for the 66 mile commute ... on days like this .... no way without a charge at work, and it better be a full charge.

I live in Minnesota and it's just about 22 months since I "reserved" a reservation. No word at all when Nissan will open the remaining 20 or so states for order/delivery. I'm willing to hold out for the Smyrna-built Leafs (2013?) but right now trying to get a 20 year old Camry to live another year or so until I'm "Leafed".

My commute currently consists of about 6 miles round trip from an unheated garage to a side street I park on to hop public transit to get to work. Wintertime a fossil-fuel car won't even begin to produce cabin heat until I'm just arriving at my bus stop so I'm used to cold feet and fogged/frosted windows.

If I chose to drive to work instead of public transit, I'll have about a 30 mile round trip. My employer (federal gov't) will be installing between 20 and 30 L2 charging stations at work with a couple of those in an indoor parking garage. Those may not be ready until late 2013 or early 2014.

In the meantime it's still the waiting game.

Pipemajor said:
If I chose to drive to work instead of public transit, I'll have about a 30 mile round trip. My employer (federal gov't) will be installing between 20 and 30 L2 charging stations at work with a couple of those in an indoor parking garage. Those may not be ready until late 2013 or early 2014.

In the meantime it's still the waiting game.

its awesome that your employer is that progressive!

New suggestions:

1. See if you can park elsewhere, rather near work, that is an easy walk,
but warmer, or (best) with some electricity that you can use for charging.
Could be at somebody's home, or even in their garage.
Find a suitable location, take champagne, and make new friends.

2. Is there a slower route that is not too much more distance,
for days where you need the extra economy?

3. Have a PlanB: Locate dependable possible charging spots,
even at (new) friend's houses, business, etc. where you can plug in
and charge (240v, or even 120v) on the way home, if you need it.
Try for several locations, 20, 10, and 5 miles from home.

4. For cars, try calling Fontana Nissan (in Fontana, CA),
if you have not already. They are usually very helpful.

Back