7,500 mile check

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa2825

Just got notice from my dealer to bring the LEAF in for a 7,500 mile check. When I asked what all was involved and how much it cost, they advised that it included a required battery check to maintain the warranty (and that it would have to be charged to full whilst in the garage so either bring it in close to full OR expect to wait for it to fully charge), rotate the tires and some other things.

Just wondering, assuming I can get the tires rotated somewhere else cheaper, is there any reason to do anything but the required battery check? If not, shouldn't that be free since it is required?

Once again a lying and/or uninformed dealer. There is no 7,500 mile check. The only required check is the YEARLY battery check which is free the first two years. Also, the normal yearly battery check, which is not usually a cell pair check unless specifically requested or a problem is suspected, can be done at any level of battery charge. Best to look for a new dealer!

jpa2825 said:
Just got notice from my dealer to bring the LEAF in for a 7,500 mile check. When I asked what all was involved and how much it cost, they advised that it included a required battery check to maintain the warranty (and that it would have to be charged to full whilst in the garage so either bring it in close to full OR expect to wait for it to fully charge), rotate the tires and some other things.

Actually, to do a correct battery cell pair check, the car should be checked almost empty, charged to 100% at the dealer, then checked again when full.

I coincidentally had my 1 year done today at Loughead Nissan in Swarthmore PA..
They did all 96 cell pairs at low SOC, charged it fully, then did them all again.
I requested, and they provided mucho pages of printout showing the whole deal.
(Each cell pair at both SOC's)

I also requested the brake software / firmware update NTB 12-086 and they did this as well.

Didn't try to sell me anything.
Didn't try to figure out a way to get me for $100 for something.
They even leant me another leaf since it took all day to charge after the low SOC pair voltage test.

I feel guilty.

jpa2825 said:
Just wondering, assuming I can get the tires rotated somewhere else cheaper, is there any reason to do anything but the required battery check? If not, shouldn't that be free since it is required?
You show a delivery date of 25 Aug 2012. Assuming that is correct, DO NOT GET A BATTERY CHECK NOW. As TomT said, the battery check is yearly. As he suggested, but didn't say precisely, you get two free checks. If you get one now it will not count for your one year check, and you will end up using your two free checks in the first year!

If you look at the Service and Maintenance Guide, which should be in your glove box, you will see that they do specify service at 7,500 miles or six months. But unless you judge your car should follow the "More Severe" schedule, the only thing there is tire rotation. Even if you do decide to follow the more severe schedule there is nothing else to do but a few very standard steering, drive shaft, suspension, and brake inspections which any auto mechanic, or savvy do-it-yourselfer, can take care of.

Ray

KillaWhat said:
Actually, to do a correct battery cell pair check, the car should be checked almost empty, charged to 100% at the dealer, then checked again when full.

I coincidentally had my 1 year done today at Loughead Nissan in Swarthmore PA..
They did all 96 cell pairs at low SOC, charged it fully, then did them all again.
I requested, and they provided mucho pages of printout showing the whole deal.
(Each cell pair at both SOC's)

I also requested the brake software / firmware update NTB 12-086 and they did this as well.

Didn't try to sell me anything.
Didn't try to figure out a way to get me for $100 for something.
They even leant me another leaf since it took all day to charge after the low SOC pair voltage test.

I feel guilty.

Now there is a RARE, completely honest and "above board" dealer. :D

KillaWhat,

What is a Carkit NAV/Phone Override? I am looking for a way to connect my phone by Bluetooth or USB to control my phone on the Nav screen. I would prefer to use Google maps/traffic rather than the Leaf Nav.

Muna said:
KillaWhat,

What is a Carkit NAV/Phone Override? I am looking for a way to connect my phone by Bluetooth or USB to control my phone on the Nav screen. I would prefer to use Google maps/traffic rather than the Leaf Nav.

It was a Kit offered some time back that you installed behind the Nav head.
It allowed you to use the Home link Transmitter buttons to override some of the safety features of the Nav / phone system, such as allowing full phone control, and location entry while the vehicle is moving.

That crap drives me nuts
(yes, yes.. I understand it's a safety issue, and we must cater to the lowest common denominator..... so my wife can't enter an address in the Nav while I'm driving....)

Another stupid, but kind of cool feature was that you could activate the backup camera while driving.
Turns out My little guy thinks its hysterically funny, and it makes my wife nauseous.

Anyway, I take it for granted now that I can use ALL my functionality ALL the time.

There is a thread on here somewhere about it, and a DIY solution as well.

Thanks for the interest

Back