7 500-Mile Maintenance? - Is this Legit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBUYGAS

Hello All Fellow Leafers,

First of all I have no idea why they would put a space between the 7 & the 500 if they wanted to write out 7500.

I'm pretty sure they mean 7500,

Is this a Legit maintenance interval?

Did you bring your Leaf in for a 7500 mile service?

TIA,

Sal
aka Lasareath

Leaf___7__500___mile_inspection.jpg

Have you looked at your Service & Maintenance Guide? It calls for exactly what they specify, but with two caveats:
  • That is for 7,500 miles or six months (whichever comes first).
  • That is Schedule 1 (More Severe).

You really should look at the guide and decide whether you need to follow Schedule 1 or Schedule 2.

Ray

Assuming you got the Ecopias, any Bridgestone factory owned tire dealer would rotate them for free (Tires Plus did it for me).

The only required visit to Nissan dealers is the yearly battery check at no charge and any software firmware updates.

planet4ever said:
Have you looked at your Service & Maintenance Guide? It calls for exactly what they specify, but with two caveats:

You really should look at the guide and decide whether you need to follow Schedule 1 or Schedule 2.

Ray

Thanks, I've browsed through it but have not seen the service section yet. I'll go look for it.

braineo said:
Assuming you got the Ecopias, any Bridgestone factory owned tire dealer would rotate them for free (Tires Plus did it for me).

The only required visit to Nissan dealers is the yearly battery check at no charge and any software firmware updates.

I have Michelins, I have the 2013 17" wheels. My dealer is 27 miles away, I was going to rotate the tires myself. I'm in the process of buying a full sized wheel and tire to keep at home. I may use that to make the rotation easier.

Do the Michelin tires need to be rotated in one direction only? if not then I should be able to use my spare on any side.

No, the Michelins are not unidirectional and can be rotated in any pattern.

Lasareath said:
Do the Michelin tires need to be rotated in one direction only? if not then I should be able to use my spare on any side.

braineo said:

+1

planet4ever said:

Ray

In my opinion, Schedule 1 should only be necessary on the Leaf if the car is frequently driven off paved highways and/or through relatively deep water. Otherwise, the inspections listed can wait for the 1 year/15k service.

7500 miles should just require a tire rotation (Schedule 2) for the majority of Leafers.

Thanks. I found the service booklet and looked it over. I'm at 4500 miles and just hit 4 months old. So I have at least 2 months to go before this service needs to be performed.

RonDawg said:
In my opinion, Schedule 1 should only be necessary on the Leaf if the car is frequently driven off paved highways and/or through relatively deep water.

Does parking on top of a sprinkling system to cool off the battery count?

Berlino said:
RonDawg said:
In my opinion, Schedule 1 should only be necessary on the Leaf if the car is frequently driven off paved highways and/or through relatively deep water.

Does parking on top of a sprinkling system to cool off the battery count?

No. But this does count:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTnoeudTPQ[/youtube]

RonDawg said:
In all seriousness, that is not Nissan's opinion, and I've been a bit concerned as to their reaction if you turn in a lease that you have been driving as Schedule 1 but maintaining as Schedule 2.

Do you make repeated short trips of less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures or less than 5 miles in normal temperatures?
Do you drive in stop-and-go traffic in hot weather?
Do you drive long distances at a low speed?
Do you drive in dusty conditions?
Do you drive on salt-spread roads?
Do you carry a bicycle or two on top of the car?

Any one of these, they say, makes you Schedule 1.

Ray

Do you make repeated short trips of less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures or
less than 5 miles in normal temperatures?
This is for an ICE, not bringing an ICE up to temperature is very bad for it. N/A for an EV..
This is for an ICE, an EV doesn't need to get read of all the heat. N/A for an EV.
I guess they talking about not driving fast enough for the air to cool the ICE. Long distances at low speed are good for an EV, not sever service.
Dirt clogs the air filter and the dirt that gets past the air filter contaminates the oil in an ICE. N/A for an EV.

2 out of 6

planet4ever said:
RonDawg said:
In all seriousness, that is not Nissan's opinion, and I've been a bit concerned as to their reaction if you turn in a lease that you have been driving as Schedule 1 but maintaining as Schedule 2.

Do you make repeated short trips of less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures or less than 5 miles in normal temperatures?

Ray
No argument with lease requirements - you are required to do what the book says. But, would you agree that those schedule 1 conditions are reminiscent of, and more appropriate for, an ICE vehicle? Especially the first four? I have never had another Nissan, but those conditions look like they were lifted from a Nissan ICE., or my Toyota, or Buick, or .....................

Well, pchilds beat me to it. ;)

Thank you pchilds. And ebill3, yes those requirements are tailored for ICEVs. The concerns that justify an accelerated maintenance schedule for an ICEV really aren't there for a pure EV, except for driving over rough roads (suspension damage, leaking struts, torn CV boots, unbalanced rims, damaged tires) and deep water (corrosion issues, debris left behind after the water has drained away, etc.).

Except for doing more frequent oil changes (which I often did myself until the late 90s), I have NEVER had a warranty or lease-return issue for failing to maintain my car to "Schedule 1" requirements even though I would likely qualify.

Funny thing they sent me an email stating that I missed my scheduled appointment.

I'm at 5800 miles and the LEAF turns 6 months old on 10/20/2013

Going to schedule the appointment next week.

Lasareath,

Giving any car a look over every six months is a good idea. One stick is all it takes to tear a CV joint boot - no off-road exploring or river fording is necessary.

While I agree completely that most of the light/severe service requirements are caused by weaknesses in internal combustion engine systems that EVs simply don't have, there are still wear items that deserve some attention. The point about towing or roof racks is stress and drag - both add to vehicle weight and make life harder for suspension, brakes, transmission/transaxle parts and lubricants, and CV joints. Many short trips means more wear and tear on door handles, more use of brakes and parking brake, etc.

But there is absolutely no reason why you have to go to a Nissan (or any other) dealership to have that inspection performed - any mechanic or shop can handle that, as can you if you're comfortable with it. Inspect the parts and systems and log the inspection date - that's all you need to maintain warranty coverage.

Car dealers want you in their shops as often as possible - they make more money doing unnecessary maintenance than selling cars. Use your maintenance schedule - as long as someone performs the inspections and any repairs necessary, and as long as the inspections are logged and receipts (if any) are kept, then your warranty is covered. As noted, leases and/or extended warranties can levy more restrictive requirements. It's unlikely the 'form letter' 7500 mile email from the dealer was sent by someone that knows whether you bought or leased, so it's up to you to track what's needed for your situation.

Most US drivers - especially city drivers - fall under severe service even if they don't tow or haul cement blocks in the back seat. I do my own maintenance and always use severe service guidelines.

Andy

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance
http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html
http://newsroom.aaa.com/2009/10/aaa...ve-under-severe-conditions-do-not-realize-it/

tires should be rotated at 5k intervals.

i know. I did mine at 9k and thread was below minimum. Replaced the ecopias with turanza serenity and love them (less noise, better ride, 85k warrany and road hazard).

Glad Bridgestone gave me 1/2 off the new ones due to my below 12k mile replacement need.

Going be 6 months old in 15 days, planning on making my appointment next week to go in for my 6K mile checkup and tire rotation.

Back