7500m/annual brake fluid change

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gncndad

Did an advanced search, found nothing.

Dealer/manual recommend 7500m/annual brake fluid change. Dealer (salesman, NOT the Leaf-only tech) recommended it, because the heat in the regen can cause brake fluid to break down. My previous experience with new cars (VWs): First change at 2 years (paid for by VW), then every 3 years, mostly because of the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid, not necessarily heat.

So, what's the "in the field" experience here? Leaf is driven almost exclusively in very gentle, 3-5 miles commute/trips, no bumper-to-bumper, very little high-speed (heat!) braking.

Thanks.

How often you need to flush the brake fluid has been a source of controversy on these boards. However I think we'll all agree that 7500 miles is way too often, unless you only put 2,000 miles a year on your car.

Nissan's official recommendation is every other year.

^ ^ ^ What he said. Plus, I could swear the manual says something about 15,000 miles (maybe that's the cabin filter). I did mine @2 & 4 yrs; it's <$100.

I'd love to know how regen heats up brake fluid.. :rolleyes:

And no, you don't need brake fluid flushed every year. Every two years is safe/conservative, you could probably go much longer.

Firetruck41 said:
I'd love to know how regen heats up brake fluid.. :rolleyes:

And no, you don't need brake fluid flushed every year. Every two years is safe/conservative, you could probably go much longer.

I had new tires put on at about 30K (the OEM versions of the Ecopia's don't last; but felt 30K wasn't all that bad) and had my non-Nissan local mechanic check on the brake fluid condition and it was fine; they've done brakes on my ICE cars in the past and trust them so now I've have them check it each time I get their (free) tire rotations just to be sure. Unless you have extreme terrain and high humidity (we have neither in the flat upper Midwest) it can go longer than other areas of the country but I'd still have a check done and have them show you how it compares (many use a litmus strip for corrosion inhibitor strength but the better shops also use an optical refractometer for moisture content)

Quick info source ...

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Brake-Fluid

I had mine done at the same time I took my 2012 in for its 4th battery test. 7500 miles is only for "Severe Use". The regular schedule is 30,000 miles.

Thanks for all the advice. Glad to know that the regen brake system doesn't add any stress to the brake fluid. I will gladly extend the service life appropriately.
Interesting that I couldn't find, using the advanced search, any threads about brake fluid change...

In normal climates brake fluid change in Leaf is not really an annual thing. My car just passed 50 000km and almost 2 years.
It has 1% of moisture in brake fluid. It does make sense to change at 3% and it is recommended to change at 4%. 5% is too much.
My climate is pretty moist. Brake fluid cap is really good one on Leaf! It does the job really well.

But what should be done is open-close bleeding valves. They tend to seize really bad after 5 years or so! (not possible to open without breaking them which means new brake calipers).

So still either doing just some twisting or even better change fluid after 3-4 years.

Spoke directly with the tech (not the salesman, nor the service advisor!), and he said what y'all have been saying. At the earliest, first brake fluid change @ 3 years, then every 2 years.

Last weekend, I tested my 2011 Leaf (4.5 years in service) brake fluid with the Phoenix Systems brake fluid tests strips. The brake fluid scored about 20ppm Cu on their color scale. The company says you should definitely replace your brake fluid at 200ppm. Or if you want to be cautious, you can replace it at 100ppm.

The idea that you should replace your brake fluid every 1 or 2 years is nutters.

Indeed it is waste full and harm full to the environment, but the companies don't care they just want to sell you crap!

All ways go by testing not by some number on a book that is probably 60 years out of date with modern technology

Here moisture is the big enemy so I got one of those electric moisture testers and use that on both my truck and car.

Yes, I agree that this issue with the brake fluid has become an issue that causes a lot of angst... I have been fixing my private cars for 40 years and think it is ridiculous to change the fluid every year, or even every 2 years. Remember that since the leaf is low maintenance, a garage would love to change your battery, brake, oil, transmission, and power steering fluid every year. They are low cost, high labor rate items that are only preventive in nature, so the customer will not notice a difference in performance.

Brake fluid does not deteriorate "with heat" it boils at about 400-450 F, and is made to work in the hot calipers when you are braking all day. It is in a sealed system, so nothing really wears it out. It does love to absorb water, however, which changes the boiling point of the brake fluid (water boils ate 212F). That is the reason to change the brake fluid.

I generally keep an eye on the color of the fluid in the reservoir, if it is white, yellow, or even orange color of motor oil, it is generally still good. When it gets old, it gets darker, and then is the point to use one of those pen-like fluid testers to see how much water there is in the fluid. If the fluid tester shows to change it, then that is the time... I don't think that is too hard for most people to have peace of mind.... Just remember, every time you open the reservoir cap, you are letting water into the system. So... only open when necessary, and for as short a time as possible.

In the 9 years I owned my Mazda 3, I never had to change its brake fluid. I tested it on occasion, but it was never (even after 9 years) to the point of needing to be changed. I did, however, add some brake fluid after changing the rear brakes (myself) while bleeding them. That was it.

If the salesperson said that regenerative braking increases stress on ANY brake component (brake pads, rotors, fluid), he needs to do some serious research.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/regenerative-braking.htm

Back