80% stops at 11 bars? Odd

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimSouCal

So, my MY2011 LEAF, when charging to 80% stopped at 11 of 12 bars displayed today--but the charge stop email states 10 of 12?. It's happened the last few charges or so. Other than that, all seems very normal for an almost 3 year old leaf.

The LEAF spy pro app (no data handy at the moment) tells me I am close to losing a battery capacity bar, meanwhile the % charge display doesn't seem to make sense. GIDs and SOC seems to behave very consistently with normal discharge and charge indication…. That's what stumps me as I understand the LEAF display just sorts and displays the same data as the LEAF PRO app...

I am almost ready to disconnect the 12V battery to reset, and failing that, visit the dealer before my end of 3 year warranty to at least document the situation….

If there are no known explanations or issues, I can gather more data to see what is up. Seems in the software. Running latest update, I think.

Comments?

PS.did try a quick forum search first…

planet4ever said:
Are you sure you are counting correctly? Perhaps you already lost a capacity bar, and that makes it look like you have 11 charge bars.

Ray
Yes, thanks, I am sure… Very sure. Edit. Planet4ever was correct. Bar change happens. :)

I've seen my car do that when it's very cold. What I guess may be happening is the car charges to 80%, then the battery gets colder and the max capacity decreases. The charge level is now higher than 80%. Would that fit in to your scenario?

Ok. Here's what seems to be going on. The car is so close to being in between 11-12 capacity bars that it's toggling back and forth. Sometimes showing on way or another. I stand corrected. It's me being confused by the loss or appearences of the bar and charging to 9 or 10 bars as 80%.

I too have had the 80%/11 bar thing happen to me a couple of times. However that was during the summer and I haven't seen it happen since.

I also had it "stick" at the 79% or so position for a long time. I had come back several hours after I plugged in, more than enough for it to reach 80% and stop, and yet the dash lights were still blinking. But when I unplugged I had 10 bars.

My car a 2011 with 24,000 miles still has 12 capacity bars but when it charges to 80% shows only 9 bars and not 10 bars it used to show.

That usually means you are getting close to loosing a capacity bar...

EV2E said:
My car a 2011 with 24,000 miles still has 12 capacity bars but when it charges to 80% shows only 9 bars and not 10 bars it used to show.

TomT said:
EV2E said:
An 80% charge always just barely lit that 10th bar. Even a modest amount of driving would extinguish it. Once the battery degrades a bit, the internal math comes out that an 80% charge DOESN'T light the bar. That said, many of us have driven 6 months or more that way before losing the first capacity bar (the little ones), but, it is a symptom of a degrading battery.

JimSouCal said:
Edit. Planet4ever was correct. Bar change happens. :)

wanna put your info in the wiki?

Date Of Loss:
Forum Name:
Mileage At Loss: xx,xxx
Months Owned At Loss
Mfg Date:
Leaf VIN:

TomT said:

EV2E said:

Hi TomT,

Can you point me to some other threads on the forum with this condition?
I have a 2011, 25k miles, and suffer the same situation as EV2E. When charged to 80%, only shows 9 bars.

It almost seems I have a "hole" in the 9-10 bar capacity spectrum.

A bit sad that I am eminent of losing one bar.... The funny thing is that when charged to 100% (as EV2E), I get the full 12 bars and still able to drive my usual commute dropping 1 bar near or at the same location.

-mxp

mxp said:
I charged up to 100% (balance) a couple of cycles and it appears to have initially given me back my 10 bars @ 80% charge. Will continue to monitor....
Don't expect it to last long. What's your Ah reading now? It's only a matter of time before you lose your 12th capacity bar and 9 bars / 80% charge becomes permanent.

smkettner said:
Mine charged to 9 bars for some time. Then it went back to 10 bars. Next day capacity was 11.
But do you still get 9 or 10 bars? After I lost my bar 10-bar 80% charges have never been seen again.

No time for 80% anymore, I now get 12 bars every day. LBW-VLBW at least once a week. Errands get delayed due to range or take the Subaru.
Yes IIRC last 80% charges were all 9 bars.

I can't remember the last time I got 10 bars on an 80% charge. Doesn't matter anymore, anyway. With 20% capacity already gone after 19 months and less than 12,000 miles, it's 100% charges (really 90-95% charges, depending on where the BMS wants to stop it) from now on.

Air temps are already back in the mid 80s (winter was brief, this year). I expect capacity bar 11 and 10 to be gone in the next nine months.

Back