A most interesting Monday in Leafland...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkStar said:
davewill said:
Would that include an alert for charge interrupted/ended? Or would you have to keep the site open, refreshing it, to find something like this out?
Hmm... I haven't played with the iPhone I have access to very much, but I get text messages when charging starts and stops...

Text messaging comes out of the setup you've made via the Manage Account area of the OP on a computer, or in the Settings area of the iPhone app (changes in one affect the other and vice-versa). So emails and texts will be sent according to those preferences. There is no place in the mobile version of the OP to change these preferences - it's simply for starting and stopping charging, turning the CC on and off, and seeing the status of the vehicle.

This makes me glad I picked up a lock for the J plug and serves as a good lesson on why I should use it every time I'm charging in public. :shock:

mogur said:
I seriously doubt that any dealer would take such action in an emergency... It would not be worth the bad PR and I don't think it would make Nissan Corporate happy.
Except the private security guard may have specific instructions. He will not likely call the GM late at night to check. And yes he could have locked the car in.

There was another thread that many were blasted for thinking they could plug in without specific permission. Without permission it was said the person is a common thief. No problem IMO, just saying.

mogur said:
My wife and I talked about exactly that: Making up a placard to carry in the car for just such an emergency occurrence.

mwalsh said:
Note to self....might be good to make up a card for the windshield "If you need to disrupt this car's charging, please phone *my cell phone number* first".
http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf

It would seem to be a simple software upgrade to have some unique sound that would alert the driver that they have just locked the car with the engine running. It wouldn't need to be continuous in case you wanted the A/C running while you are in at a store, but it would need to be different than the sound verifying that the car is locked. What would be neat is an engine sound like "Vroom, Vroom". Shucks, Mazda already is using that one. :lol:

mwalsh said:
davewill said:
Would that include an alert for charge interrupted/ended? Or would you have to keep the site open, refreshing it, to find something like this out?

Text messaging comes out of the setup you've made via the Manage Account area of the OP on a computer, or in the Settings area of the iPhone app (changes in one affect the other and vice-versa). So emails and texts will be sent according to those preferences. There is no place in the mobile version of the OP to change these preferences - it's simply for starting and stopping charging, turning the CC on and off, and seeing the status of the vehicle.
So, if text message alerts had been turned on, he could have monitored the car from his Android phone, then. Shame you can't get at that setting FROM the mobile device, but I suppose I will just leave them on all the time.

davewill said:
P.S. anyone know how to access the mobile site from a non-mobile device? My android phone goes to the mobile site, but my NookColor keeps going to the regular site, then failing because of the Flash. It would be nice to at least access the mobile site. Usually using "m" or "mobile" in place of "www" works, but not for the owner's portal.
My recollection is that there isn't much settings-wise for the Nook Color browser (my wife has one, but it's at home and I'm not). If there are, look in there and see if there is a setting for User Agent--change it to Android or iPhone or anything but desktop.

By mid-April, B&N is supposed to push an update to the Nook that brings several things, including Flash support and their own filter of the market (you'll be able to get Angry Birds, but not the Kindle reader). So you could wait for that.

...or you could root it now and install flash. Or a different browser that lets you select user agent. Or both! And overclock it... :twisted:

lonndoggie said:
davewill said:
P.S. anyone know how to access the mobile site from a non-mobile device? My android phone goes to the mobile site, but my NookColor keeps going to the regular site, then failing because of the Flash. It would be nice to at least access the mobile site. Usually using "m" or "mobile" in place of "www" works, but not for the owner's portal.
My recollection is that there isn't much settings-wise for the Nook Color browser (my wife has one, but it's at home and I'm not). If there are, look in there and see if there is a setting for User Agent--change it to Android or iPhone or anything but desktop.

By mid-April, B&N is supposed to push an update to the Nook that brings several things, including Flash support and their own filter of the market (you'll be able to get Angry Birds, but not the Kindle reader). So you could wait for that.

...or you could root it now and install flash. Or a different browser that lets you select user agent. Or both! And overclock it... :twisted:
I've rooted mine, so I'm running Dolphin HD, although I DID try the stock browser, too. The user agent is already Android (although I also tried iPhone). My guess is that they're looking at something else to decide to serve the mobile site. I guess I need to email the website support folks.

I haven't been able to find a Flash solution for Eclair, and I'm not willing to migrate to one of the Froyo or Gingerbread ROMs, yet. Do you know of something?

ERG4ALL said:
It would seem to be a simple software upgrade to have some unique sound that would alert the driver that they have just locked the car with the engine running. It wouldn't need to be continuous in case you wanted the A/C running while you are in at a store, but it would need to be different than the sound verifying that the car is locked. What would be neat is an engine sound like "Vroom, Vroom". Shucks, Mazda already is using that one. :lol:

If you walk away from an unlocked LEAF with the key fob, while the LEAF is in the 'on' position, it will beep at you twice. They are very subtle beeps however. I don't know if the same holds true if you try to lock it and walk away, I'll have to give it a try. I would personally want to be prevented from locking it, so I'd go back to investigate.

Except that they could just as easily press the STOP button on the EVSE... Or damage the car trying to remove the connector if they didn't see the lock (it was dark in the lot)...

GeekEV said:
This makes me glad I picked up a lock for the J plug and serves as a good lesson on why I should use it every time I'm charging in public. :shock:

I wasn't worried about being locked in as this particular lot has no mechanism to do so. I checked when I drove in.

smkettner said:
mogur said:
I seriously doubt that any dealer would take such action in an emergency... It would not be worth the bad PR and I don't think it would make Nissan Corporate happy.
Except the private security guard may have specific instructions. He will not likely call the GM late at night to check. And yes he could have locked the car in.

Actually, I did have text messaging on but it was lagging by about 40 minutes from the Nissan site...

davewill said:
So, if text message alerts had been turned on, he could have monitored the car from his Android phone, then. Shame you can't get at that setting FROM the mobile device, but I suppose I will just leave them on all the time.

mwalsh said:
ERG4ALL said:

If you walk away from an unlocked LEAF with the key fob, while the LEAF is in the 'on' position, it will beep at you twice. They are very subtle beeps however. I don't know if the same holds true if you try to lock it and walk away, I'll have to give it a try. I would personally want to be prevented from locking it, so I'd go back to investigate.

A great feature would be for it to Turn the Car Off and maybe even lock the doors instead of "beep twice".
You've put the car in park, gotten out, closed the door, and walked away with your fob. What's the risk?

mogur said:
Actually, I did have text messaging on but it was lagging by about 40 minutes from the Nissan site...
Ouch! Nissan really has to get better backend infrastructure. If it lags that badly now, what's it going to be like with thousands or millions (I can dream, can't I?) of users?

GroundLoop said:
mwalsh said:

A great feature would be for it to Turn the Car Off and maybe even lock the doors instead of "beep twice".
You've put the car in park, gotten out, closed the door, and walked away with your fob. What's the risk?

My curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to play with the car. It's three beeps you get if you get out and try to walk away from the car with the fob, not two, and they aren't as massively subtle as I remembered from my accidental instances.

You aren't precluded from locking the doors, but I did notice that the horn doesn't chrip the way it does when the car is turned off. I would assume the turn signals don't flash either, but I didn't make a note of checking for that, so I'd have to go out again and play some more. Not that I'm looking for excuses. :lol:

It's too bad it isn't something more different, such as one long beep. Unless you are paying attention, it would be easy to mistake three short beeps for two, or to misinterpret what they mean.

mwalsh said:
My curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to play with the car. It's three beeps you get if you get out and try to walk away from the car with the fob, not two, and they aren't as massively subtle as I remembered from my accidental instances.

mogur said:
It's too bad it isn't something more different, such as one long beep. Unless you are paying attention, it would be easy to mistake three short beeps for two, or to misinterpret what they mean.

Yeah, the first time I heard it I'm like, "Huh. What's that all about?". "Oh, I know, it's probably because I'm walking away with the fob in my hand." It's probably covered in the manual somewhere, but manuals are for wimps. :lol:

davewill said:
I've rooted mine, so I'm running Dolphin HD, although I DID try the stock browser, too. The user agent is already Android (although I also tried iPhone). My guess is that they're looking at something else to decide to serve the mobile site. I guess I need to email the website support folks.
That's odd that it's not looking at user agent; can't imagine what it is looking at then.

BTW, not yet having a car (ahem), I'm limited in what I can get to. I can't get to carwings at all--but when I log in to the owner's portal using the "stock" CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread) browser, with Android set as the user agent, that page comes up fomatted differently than it does on a desktop browser. How's that page look to you on the Nook?

davewill said:
I haven't been able to find a Flash solution for Eclair, and I'm not willing to migrate to one of the Froyo or Gingerbread ROMs, yet. Do you know of something?
Hrm, right...forgot the Nook was still on Eclair. Might snoop around on xda forums, see if people are able to get it running on the stock ROM.

Or, if you miss the thrill of waiting for your Leaf to come, now that you have it, you can relive that by checking obsessively to see if your Nook's been updated. :)

(Sorry to everyone for the OT posts...)

Back