Airbag Warning Light On With No DTC's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylanR

Dylan
Hi,

I just purchased a used 2015 nissan leaf!
however there is a slow flashing airbag warning light on the dash that doesn't seem to go away.

the vehicle passed the safety inspection with this light on and while using leafspy the airbag system is not reporting any DTC's.
I've heard that the slow flashing indicates the airbag system might be in diagnostic mode but it doesn't seem to exit it if that's the case.
I'm assuming it's safe to drive but the light is pretty annoying and wondering if there is any way to clear it?

Appreciate any advice I could get, Thanks!

Go to the NICO site and download the SRC section of the manual for the 2015. It talks about "diagnostic mode" for the SRS, and what the flashes mean.
To much info to type in here.
If you purchased from a dealer than they should fix it, if not it could have been in an accident and not repaired correctly or they could be a problem with the system.
If it comes on steady when you turn the car on for 7 sec then goes to blinking every .5 sec, it means that there is a problem that may have been repaired wrong or the memory not re set.
If you don't get the 7 sec on before blinking it gets more complicated.
Get the manual and see if it can help.

Go to the NICO site and download the SRC section of the manual for the 2015. It talks about "diagnostic mode" for the SRS, and what the flashes mean.
If you purchased from a dealer than they should fix it, if not it could have been in an accident and not repaired correctly or they could be a problem with the system.
If it comes on steady when you turn the car on for 7 sec then goes to blinking every .5 sec, it means that there is a problem that may have been repaired wrong or the memory not re set.
Here is a video of the flashing pattern, it's definitely not 0.5 second interval and I can't seem to find one in the service manual that matches this

Attachments

• 20240218_140447.mp4
    33.4 MB
I tried to time it, would you say 3 sec, 4 sec? not 7 that is for sure.
If you have the manual you have access to everything I have.
I too don't see that flash pattern in the diagnostics.
If you have the manual, can you follow the procedure to put it in diagnostic mode? That might help narrow it down, but I foresee a trip to the dealer in your future!
Sorry, but that is all I have.

Appreciate it, will probably bring to dealer sometime this week. Thanks

Just wanted to quickly update this thread since the problem's been solved.

The Nissan dealership after about 7 hours of diagnostics discovered there was a problem with the ABS actuator and electronic control module and that it needed to be replaced. This part cost close to $4000 and was discontinued/backordered with no ETA.

Since I just bought the vehicle, I was able to take it back to the dealership I purchased it from and they were able to source a used part and install it for me!

However, the light was still on and after the 4th trip to the dealer regarding this, they were finally able to clear the light by reprogramming the new ABS module and removing the 12v power for 10-15 min to take the airbag system out of diagnostic mode.

So overall, I'm happy I didn't have to pay anything since it was a brand new purchase and the dealer took care of everything, will certainly be going back to that dealer for future purchases since they handled the situation so well!

@DylanR I am glad that replacing the "ABS actuator and electronic control module" fixed the problem but I must say that sounds illogical to me. Why would the airbag's functioning have anything to do with the ABS system?!!!

Anyway, about the blink pattern: after the first 7 seconds, the blink pattern of 3 seconds on, 2 seconds off indicates that "system is normal". At least according to the 2011 service manual, page SRC-15:

S 2024-05-06 at 09.20.22.jpg
In my case, when the blink sequence indicates "system is normal", on the subsequent power-ups, the airbag light doesn't go on anymore.

Also, FWIW, the steps to enter diagnosis mode is on page SRC-13, again on a 2011, YMMV:

"Procedure to Change Diagnosis Mode
1. Turn power switch from OFF to ON.
2. SRS air bag lamp turns ON for 7 second and turns OFF, then turn power switch OFF within 1second after
the lamp turns OFF.
3. After turning power switch OFF, wait for 3 seconds or more.
4. Repeat operation 1 to 3 for 2 times so that operation 1 to 3 is repeated for 3times
[sic] in total.
5. Turn power switch from OFF to ON. Diagnosis mode changes.
"

@DylanR I am glad that replacing the "ABS actuator and electronic control module" fixed the problem but I must say that sounds illogical to me. Why would the airbag's functioning have anything to do with the ABS system?!!!

Anyway, about the blink pattern: after the first 7 seconds, the blink pattern of 3 seconds on, 2 seconds off indicates that "system is normal". At least according to the 2011 service manual, page SRC-15:

View attachment 3984
In my case, when the blink sequence indicates "system is normal", on the subsequent power-ups, the airbag light doesn't go on anymore.

Also, FWIW, the steps to enter diagnosis mode is on page SRC-13, again on a 2011, YMMV:

"Procedure to Change Diagnosis Mode
1. Turn power switch from OFF to ON.
2. SRS air bag lamp turns ON for 7 second and turns OFF, then turn power switch OFF within 1second after
the lamp turns OFF.
3. After turning power switch OFF, wait for 3 seconds or more.
4. Repeat operation 1 to 3 for 2 times so that operation 1 to 3 is repeated for 3times
[sic] in total.
5. Turn power switch from OFF to ON. Diagnosis mode changes.
"
Yeah it made no sense to me either so I think it must have been a separate issue. There was a different code about steering angle sensor calibration which the technician diagnosed according to the service manual and determined it was the ABS actuator. I think the airbag light was on just because it was stuck in diagnostic mode and needed to be reset

Back