All Blink installs on hold because of LADWP???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
Honestly, the article reads as if it was written by someone who really does not truly understand the Leaf and who has not spent much time with one...
I made the "test the A/C some more" comment. If you believe the guessometer, you might come to the conclusion he did. It will take a pretty big hit if the car is hot when you turn it on. You have to give it a chance before you find out the A/C runs efficiently.

Yeah, I loved the comment about him having to drive around all the time with the windows down!

davewill said:
mogur said:
Honestly, the article reads as if it was written by someone who really does not truly understand the Leaf and who has not spent much time with one...
I made the "test the A/C some more" comment. If you believe the guessometer, you might come to the conclusion he did. It will take a pretty big hit if the car is hot when you turn it on. You have to give it a chance before you find out the A/C runs efficiently.

I e-mailed the writer to invite him to charge at my house next time. I also told him about this forum. I'm not sure if he's aware of all the crowd-sourced knowledge available.

So, I just had my Blink installed . . . no second meter required, no solar, just a direct connection from the electrical box to the EVSE, and yes I am a LADWP customer. Of course I won't be able to get the $2k, but I did get the $1200 credit from the EV Project. Now I just have to decide if I want the whole house TOU or not (I'm strongly leaning towards it).

LALeaf said:
So, I just had my Blink installed . . . no second meter required, no solar, just a direct connection from the electrical box to the EVSE, and yes I am a LADWP customer. Of course I won't be able to get the $2k, but I did get the $1200 credit from the EV Project. Now I just have to decide if I want the whole house TOU or not (I'm strongly leaning towards it).

BRAVO.
you should go on that jewish journal site and piss on the crotchety old geezer.

LALeaf,
tell us more about your second-meter free install.

No muss, No fuss with Ecotality?

I had the same thing in April, but everyone was saying they rules changed. I talked with EVProject and was told no second meter would be fine for solar.

We ran the numbers and decided we were better of without TOU in our situation... I'm definitely glad that we got our Blink installed BEFORE the LADWP debacle, err, rebate kicked in...

LALeaf said:

My free Blink was installed in April but does not transmit over the internet because they did not have the proper card. I got my Leaf two weeks ago and the Blink charges it. When does my agreement to let them monitor my driving start?

Theoretically, the first time you plugged in the Leaf to the Blink... Eventually you'll get an email from them stating that you have to enable monitoring or are in risk of being expelled from the program and having to return the EVSE...

Desertstraw said:
My free Blink was installed in April but does not transmit over the internet because they did not have the proper card. I got my Leaf two weeks ago and the Blink charges it. When does my agreement to let them monitor my driving start?

mogur said:
Theoretically, the first time you plugged in the Leaf to the Blink... Eventually you'll get an email from them stating that you have to enable monitoring or are in risk of being expelled from the program and having to return the EVSE...

Desertstraw said:

They are the ones responsible and have not delivered the necessary card. They also told me to use the charger without the card. I doubt that they can take the unit away from me.

If they told you so, fine, I'm sure they'll deal with it in due course and get you set up. Once they have you hooked up and you start reporting data, those other provisions do apply, however.

Desertstraw said:
mogur said:

Desertstraw said:

They are the ones responsible and have not delivered the necessary card. They also told me to use the charger without the card. I doubt that they can take the unit away from me.

thankyouOB said:
LALeaf,
tell us more about your second-meter free install.

No muss, No fuss with Ecotality?

I had the same thing in April, but everyone was saying they rules changed. I talked with EVProject and was told no second meter would be fine for solar.
I had my original assessment last fall and signed up for the EV Project well prior to the DWP issues.

Then about about a month or so ago Ecotality told me that I had to have the second meter. After DWP came out to my house, Ecotality did another assessment, which came out to about $3300. The assessment was broken down between the addition of the second meter and the install of the Blink.

I responded saying that I thought the assessment was overpriced for the work to be done. They then not only agreed to drop the second meter install portion of the assessment, but they also lowered the price of the Blink install portion.

After that, the Blink was installed just a few days later.

LALeaf said:
thankyouOB said:
Then about about a month or so ago Ecotality told me that I had to have the second meter. After DWP came out to my house, Ecotality did another assessment, which came out to about $3300. The assessment was broken down between the addition of the second meter and the install of the Blink.

I responded saying that I thought the assessment was overpriced for the work to be done. They then not only by agreed to drop the second meter install portion of the assessment, but they also lowered the price of the Blink install portion.

wish I'd read this two weeks ago - my install came in $400 over LADWP's $2000 - seems like I might have been able to get that down a little further

Did any one get a random letter e-mailed today from ECOtality trying to retroactively force LA DWP users to agree to a second TOU meter? We've had our Blink for 2 months, charging it from the solar panels on our house. I'm refusing to sign the new letter because it would add the following:

Los Angeles Department of Water & Power Customers

These additional terms shall commence on the Effective Date and shall continue until December 31, 2012.

1. ECOtality shall provide you with a DC Fast Charge Inlet factory installed on your Nissan LEAF™.

2. To participate in the EV Project, your LEAF must have the DC Fast Charge Inlet.

3. Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP) EVSE Use Rate
The EV Project is cooperating with LADWP in evaluating its Time of Use (TOU) rate for Electric Vehicles. LADWP will contact each EV Project participant for which it is the electricity supplier directly to explain its TOU rate schedule and how charging at specific times of day can help save money. For additional information, you can Visit LADWP's Electric Vehicle Program website, http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp000801.jsp, to learn more about LADWP and Plug-In Electric Vehicles. Participants in the EV Project are required to use the TOU rate for electricity supplied for charging their vehicle. This requires that a second electric meter be installed in accordance with LADWP standards.

4. LADWP EVSE Rebate Program
LADWP has announced a residential EVSE rebate program that will provide a rebate of up to $2000. The EV Project will apply rebates received from LADWP to the cost of installation of the Participant's EVSE. Installation costs in excess of the LADWP rebate will be the responsibility of the Participant. Participant hereby assigns all rebates available through LADWP to ECOtality and agrees to cooperate with ECOtality in its application for such rebates.

I got that same e-mail today. We decided to forego the 2nd TOU meter and had our Blink wired to our original panel. I already have the quick-charge port on my vehicle, so not sure what this is going to do for me either.....

BTW - when the Elect. Contractor sent by Ecotality came and gave us an estimate, they claimed it would cost 400 over the 1200 allowance. Luckily, I sent them the original Ecotality confirmation that participation in the program would provide FREE installation, and they honored that.....

MLN said:
I got that same e-mail today. We decided to forego the 2nd TOU meter and had our Blink wired to our original panel. I already have the quick-charge port on my vehicle, so not sure what this is going to do for me either.....

BTW - when the Elect. Contractor sent by Ecotality came and gave us an estimate, they claimed it would cost 400 over the 1200 allowance. Luckily, I sent them the original Ecotality confirmation that participation in the program would provide FREE installation, and they honored that.....

That's great. Our Ecotality installer, Broadway Electric, charged us $871 over the the 1200 allowance. I asked them to lower it but they wouldn't.

Are you just planning to ignore the e-mail/new agreement?

Ecotality honored the original offer, it wasn't a decision made by the EC.

I don't know what to do about the agreement! Do you think we might eligible for the 2k if we don't have a 2nd TOU meter?

MLN said:
Ecotality honored the original offer, it wasn't a decision made by the EC.

I don't know what to do about the agreement! Do you think we might eligible for the 2k if we don't have a 2nd TOU meter?

From what I've read on the forum, you can only get the $2,000 if you have a second TOU meter. I defer to others who have dealt more with DWP.

We have solar, and I basically don't think a second TOU meter or even single TOU pays off for us, partly because I like to charge my car in the afternoon sometimes if I'm going out in the evening.

I have not gotten the email and would not change my agreement with Ecotality. I like the one we signed back in March.

I have solar and have whole house TOU.

As to usage times, the Blink can verify that I charge 100% on the base rate, and Ecotality is able to share my data and ALL the data with LADWP. There is no issue there.

Furhtermore, a second meter would bar me from using our PV solar to offset the car use or from using the accumulated cash in my Net Electric Meter (NEM) Bank with dwp to offset charging costs.

I am in frequent conversations with DWP -- in fact talked to and emailed them several times this week about EV and solar issues, as I am a neighborhood council member -- and they clearly have told me that I do NOT need a second meter as it would be more costly, nor is it required to get the EV discount of 2.5 cents.

Fianlly, I cannot imagine that a serious mandate for a new agreement would be sent by email instead of in the mail.

Back