Alt Currencies Taking Over as Big Banking Fails

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
If they couldn't pay the mortgage why didn't they just sell the house?
I'll try to keep that in mind next time I own a house during a recession and I'm caring for a family member that's near death with colon cancer... :shock:

It's pretty rough out here for what's left of the middle class - even in CA. And believe me - I wish at least a single word of this was snark. :(

Here are a number of examples of the gift economy. Note that some of the cash flow uses banks and fiat, some is from sweat, and some is from alt currencies.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHuMAY8nXAw[/youtube]

http://sacred-economics.com/sacred-economics-chapter-16-transition-to-gift-economy/
The new exchange systems we are exploring blur the boundary between the monetary and nonmonetary realms and therefore the standard definition of the “economy.” Really, what is the economy? Underneath the ephemera of money — slips of paper, bits in computers — what changes when the economy grows or shrinks? How would we measure it in the absence of a common unit of account? Ultimately, what economics attempts to measure, underneath money, is the totality of all that human beings make and do for each other.
Money and measure are indeed closely intertwined. Money originated, in fact, as measure: standardized quantities of commodities and then metals. The age of money has coincided with the program of reductionism and objectivity, which sought through science to attain mastery over the world. What can be measured can be mastered, as we imply when we claim to have taken the measure of a man. The immeasurable was excluded from science — “consign it to the flames,” Hume said — and from economics as well. Thus it has come to pass that standard of living has diverged from quality of life. The former is a quantifiable standard; the latter is not.

Of all the things that human beings make and do for each other, it is the unquantifiable ones that contribute most to human happiness. You might, for instance, quantify leisure time and assign it a dollar value to calculate a society’s well-being, but how is that leisure time spent? It could be spent mired in an addiction, in mindless entertainment, in intimacy with another person, or in telling stories to children. And even if we somehow accounted for these distinctions, could we quantify how present someone is when they are telling those stories? Can we quantify how anxious someone is when at work? If public policy is guided by the maximization of a quantity — be it GDP or some other measure — the most important things will surely be left out.

AndyH said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I'll try to keep that in mind next time I own a house during a recession and I'm caring for a family member that's near death with colon cancer... :shock:
I see, so included in every home lending contract should be an implicit insurance policy that protects the borrower in the event of any hardship, defined after the fact by social media (or you), including but not limited to loss of employment, adverse health events, or economic downturn. Those risks can be transferred to the lenders without any premium, because after all they have lots of money, most of which they stole from us.

LTLFTcomposite said:
AndyH said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I see, so included in every home lending contract should be an implicit insurance policy that protects the borrower in the event of any hardship, defined after the fact by social media (or you), including but not limited to loss of employment, adverse health events, or economic downturn. Those risks can be transferred to the lenders without any premium, because after all they have lots of money, most of which they stole from us.
Nice try but tossing in absurdities isn't helpful.

The root cause of many of the hardship reorganizations is that 1. there is a renegotiation process 2. there are laws and rules in place for how these can and cannot proceed, and 3. banks are not following their own rules - and are often violating state and federal law in the process. (One of which is the Soldiers and Sailors relief act - which banks and credit card companies routinely violate and it's damn hard to get this fixed in spite of the law.)

These aren't cases where people are trying to get out of their responsibility - in many instances people have successfully re-worked their mortgage (one I recall was when a disabled veteran died and his veteran wife re-worked the mortgage to stay in the house) and the bank forclosed anyway. The vet had to spend tens of thousands of dollars in legal expenses and living expenses while also replacing her personal belongings in order to get her own home back. Nothing - nothing is right about that.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/servi...on-violations-servicemembers-civil-relief-act
http://www.militaryauthority.com/be...members-who-were-wrongly-foreclosed-upon.html
Apparently, the folks running Capital One Bank weren’t up to speed on the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act. And now, they are paying the price. Capital One reached a $12 million settlement in July 2012 with federal regulators to compensate servicemembers who had been improperly foreclosed on, or who did not receive the interest rate reductions on existing debts that the law requires.

The settlement calls for Capital One to pay at least $7 million in damages, not less than $125,000 to every service member who was the victim of an improper or illegal foreclosure, and $10,000 each to servicemembers who had their vehicles repossessed in violation of the law.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/torrey-shannon/jp-morganchase-accidental_b_810785.html
Earlier today, Military.com and other news agencies reported a big win for a Marine who fought a 5-year legal battle with the behemoth mortgage institution, JP Morgan-Chase.

Capt. Jonathan Rowles filed a class-action lawsuit on behalf of thousands of active-duty servicemembers using the protections of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, otherwise known as the SCRA, to protect his home from an illegal foreclosure.

It took FIVE YEARS to 'fix' for some what should never have happened. Yeah, as disabled vet this hits close to home...

LTLFTcomposite said:
It's reassuring to see that the system works and people's rights are being protected.
Please tell me you're joking here? Do you have any idea how small a percentage of total violations are actually punished? Do you have any idea how few military members actually have the cash to hire attorneys? We have GI's on 'foodstamps'.

Let me turn this back to you: Do you think that the banks we bailed out with taxpayer money owe the citizens at least - at least - the decency of following their own rules? Maybe even most state and federal laws?

I don't know why you're yelling at me, you're the one living in the nonjudicial foreclosure state. Of course now I hear lenders are charging us 1/4-1/2 point premium for the privilege of putting them through holy hell to collect their security interest.
Looks like there's no free lunch.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I don't know why you're yelling at me,
If I was yelling, you'd know it. ;)

LTLFTcomposite said:
you're the one living in the nonjudicial foreclosure state.
As if that makes a difference...except the housing crisis didn't really hit here, so there were many fewer foreclosures to have to fight...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Of course now I hear lenders are charging us 1/4-1/2 point premium for the privilege of putting them through holy hell to collect their security interest.
Looks like there's no free lunch.
No, there isn't any free lunch - never has been. For us, anyway. Keep in mind that the lenders charging the premium have already been bailed out by the taxpayers and continue to be fed a flow of QE money from the Fed - which is also on our shoulders. We're just the copper tops feeding their businesses - coming and going.

I noticed you didn't answer my question, though. It's ok - don't worry about it.

The payoff is nowhere to be seen, in turn, as a result of processes sketched out more than thirty years ago in a forgotten classic of political economy, Paul Blumberg’s 1980 study Inequality in an Age of Decline. Analyzing the downward spiral of the American economy in the 1970s—the last time, please note, that soaring energy prices clamped down on an industrial society—Blumberg showed that while a rising tide lifts all boats, a falling tide behaves in a much more selective fashion, as those groups with more political influence and economic clout are able to hang onto a disproportionate share of a shrinking pie at the expense of those with less.

The decades since Blumberg’s book appeared have only sharpened his argument. One after another, nearly every economic sector has undergone drastic reorganizations that slashed jobs, pay, and benefits for everyone below the middle class, and a growing number of people in the lower end of the middle class itself. Now that everyone below them has been thrown under the bus, the middle classes are discovering that it’s their turn next, as the classes above them scramble to maintain their own access to the payoffs of privilege. Having nodded and smiled while those further down the pyramid got shafted, the middle classes are in no position to mount an effective resistance now that they’re the ones being made redundant. I can almost hear a former midlevel manager in an unemployment line saying: "First they laid off the factory workers, but I said nothing, because I wasn’t a factory worker..."
http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2012/01/waking-up-walking-away.html
I'll take the red pill, please, Coppertop...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/myth-of-perpetual-growth-is-killing-america-2012-06-12
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (MarketWatch) — Yes, everything you know about economics is wrong. Dead wrong. Everything. The conclusions of economists are based on a fiction that distorts everything else. As a result economics is as real as one of the summer blockbusters like “Battleship,” “The Avenger” or “Prometheus.”

The difference is that the economic profession is a genuine threat, not entertainment. Economics dogma is on track to destroy the world with a misleading ideology.

Why? Because all economics is based on the absurd Myth of Perpetual Growth. Yes, all theories and business plans based on growth are mythological.

Economists are master illusionists who rely on a set of fictions, fantasies and forecasts that emanate from a core magical mantra of Perpetual Growth that goes untested year after year.

And yet it’s used to manipulate the public into a set of policies and decisions that are leading the American and the world economy down a path of unsustainable globalization and GDP growth assumptions that will self-destruct the planet.

Oh yes - do click the link - the entire essay is mandatory.

You're welcome.

Good to see you're fighting for the people Andy. Why aren't you pushing this agenda nationally like on Patriot radio, Stossel or some other Fox Business or news program, etc like Hannity :roll:

Instead of an EV forum :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/24/indonesia-trash-health-care_n_7120218.html

One man's trash is another man's health care coverage, thanks to Gamal Albinsaid.

The 26-year-old doctor in Indonesia came up with a business model that both curbs his country's excessive garbage problem while providing health care to residents who otherwise would not be able to afford it.

Through Garbage Clinical Insurance (GCI) -- which Albinsaid calls a micro-insurance program -- the physician allows poor residents to collect and drop off trash in exchange for funds that pay for their medical insurance, Fast Company reported. The clinic turns organic trash into fertilizers and compost, and gets cash back from recyclables, such as plastic bottles and cardboard.

smkettner said:
AndyH said:
Alt Currencies Taking Over as Big Banking Fails

Big banking seems to be doing just fine from the news I read.

Alternate currencies are hardly taking over.

The title is just an Oxymoron to me.
Ignore the title and read stories and follow links. Maybe you get your news from Forbes? (Wait - I've linked from Forbes, too. :lol: )

http://www.economist.com/news/finan...seem-spur-inflation-or-growthbut-they-do-hurt

IT SOUNDS like a contradiction in terms. But negative interest rates have arrived in several countries, in response to the growing threat of deflation. In June the European Central Bank (ECB) announced that it would pay -0.1% on the money banks deposited with it; in September the rate went even lower, to -0.2%. Denmark, Sweden and Switzerland also have negative rates. Banks, in effect, must pay for the privilege of depositing their cash with the central bank. Some, in turn, are making customers pay to deposit cash with them. Central banks’ intention is to spur banks to use “idle” cash balances, boosting lending, as well as to weaken the local currency by making it unattractive to hold. Both effects, they hope, will raise growth and inflation.

Economists in general are supposed to provide, shall we say, negative clarity when discussing certain aspects of contemporary American economic life, and talking heads in the media are even more subject to this rule than most of their peers. Among the things about which they’re supposed to be negatively clear, two are particularly relevant here; the first is that economic contraction happens, and the second is that that letting too much of the national wealth end up in too few hands is a very effective way to cause economic contraction. The logic here is uncomfortably straightforward—an economy that depends on consumer expenditures only prospers if consumers have plenty of money to spend—but talking about that equation would cast an unwelcome light on the culture of mindless kleptocracy entrenched these days at the upper end of the US socioeconomic ladder. So we get to witness the mass production of negative clarity about one of the main causes of negative growth.
http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-field-guide-to-negative-progress.html

(Reuters) - The U.S. economy contracted for the first time in three years in the first quarter as it buckled under a severe winter, but there are signs it has rebounded and economists say it could grow as much as 4 percent in the current quarter.

The Commerce Department on Thursday slashed its estimate of gross domestic product to show the economy shrank at a 1.0 percent annual rate.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/29/us-usa-economy-idUSKBN0E918F20140529

We have 'winter' every year and have had for as long as I remember. This winter, though cold for a small part of the country, was warmer and dryer than normal in a majority of the country. What economists are doing here is called 'denial' - as in if we deny that the world has crossed a number of physical limits maybe nobody will notice...

LTLFTcomposite said:
It's reassuring to see that the system works and people's rights are being protected.

Apr 29, 2015 — I previously posted an update stating that we were back into our home and now are represented by United Law Center (ULC) in Rosevile, Ca.

Within a couple days of meeting with ULC, an agreement was reached with the Sheriff's Department to hold off on the eviction until July, giving us an opportunity to have our case reviewed by a magistrate. This gave us an opportunity to restart our in-home care business thus generate income and avoid using public assistance.

It's only been three weeks since my husband has passed away, and we've finally gotten settled back into our home. It's very difficult to continue life without my husband / father but we're taking it day by day. Yesterday, 4/27, I found myself opening the door to a police officer who served me another eviction notice.

This is after an agreement was reached to postpone further action, US BANK has issued another Writ of Execution to force my family and business to leave our home for the second time in only a month period.

Wells Fargo wrongfully foreclosed my home to US Bank and now US Bank is trying to evict us yet again.

Please help us once again by getting everyone you know to sign this petition against Wells Fargo to stop dual tracking and ask US Bank to cancel the eviction notice allowing my family and I to be together in our home.

For those interested, we have scheduled a Press Conference at our home in Carmichael CA set to take place this Thursday April 30th @ 10am. For those out of region I will post an update with the link to view once available.

I encourage you to please share this update and any future updates with everyone you know via social media, email, etc to help get an urgent response.

Thank you for standing with my family in this time.

-Florica Moldovan
https://www.change.org/p/wells-farg...m-ZnzKK7I8gFPiBang&utm_source=petition_update

Bitcoin blockchain tech being used to update conventional banking. Goldman and IDG invests $50M.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/3...-50-million-to-work-in-a-bitcoin-company.html
Even as public interest has waned, however, major financial institutions have been quietly but seriously examining the opportunities offered by the technology, and particularly the new financial network that hosts the Bitcoin digital tokens and allows them to be sent around the world securely, cheaply and almost instantly.

Yet another failure that mixes hubris, lack of cultural awareness, a 19th century mindset, and the World Bank.

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/...d/india-uncounted?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
The Tata group, one of India’s largest conglomerates, promised to be a good neighbor when it took on the job of building the nation’s first “ultra mega” coal-fired power plant....

Tata reported that “the fishing potential of the Gulf of Kutch is significant,” but there were “no local fishing activities in the coastal waters fronting the project.” The “nearest small fishing community,” it said, was located “outside the project area.”

This came as a surprise to Budha Ismail Jam...

Jam and his neighbors are among the uncounted: people the World Bank Group and its borrowers have ignored in their push to create dams, power plants and other projects.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-eskow/the-big-banks-are-corrupt_b_7418508.html
The Justice Department's latest settlement with felonious big banks was announced this week, but the repercussions were limited to a few headlines and some scattered protestations.

That's not enough. We need to understand that our financial system is not merely corrupt in practice. It is corrupt by design - and the problem is growing.

Let's connect the dots, using news items from the past few weeks:

On Wednesday, four large global banks — Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, Barclays and Royal Bank of Scotland — pleaded guilty to a series of federal crimes over a scheme to manipulate the value of the world’s currencies. The Justice Department accused the banks of collusion in one of the largest and yet least regulated markets, noting that at one bank one trader remarked “the less competition the better.”

That lack of oversight, coupled with the pressure to squeeze profits from a relatively middling business, set the stage for this scandal, one that unfolded nearly every day for five years. The crimes described on Wednesday also painted the portrait of something more systemic: a Wall Street culture that enabled many big banks to break the law even after years of regulatory black marks after the crisis.

“If you aint cheating, you aint trying,” one trader at Barclays wrote in an online chat room where prosecutors say the price-fixing scheme was hatched.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/21/b...ilty-in-currency-and-interest-rate-cases.html

Back