Am I out of luck for getting a Leaf in 2011?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HankHillNeedsALeaf

Based on all of the recent press and negative feedback about dates getting pushed, should I just give up on any hope of being able to order and receive a Leaf within 2011? I'm in Florida (which I think is a 2nd tier state?) and I unfortunately mulled over my decision too long the first time and when I went to finally put down my $99 it was 1 day too late.

I know that I should take a lot of the news stories with a grain of salt, but I'm losing hope each day. I understand the diversion to Japan for the expiring EV credit. And I believe them that the plant workers are doing holidays/weekends to meet demand. But if Florida hasn't even gotten their initial reservation deliveries, what are the odds the reservations will open back up before the end of the year?

It doesn't help that I got to drive one at the Orlando event and that re-ignited my obsession for all things LEAF. I just want to know if I should start thinking toward Xmas 2011 as a realistic ordering date? Or is it possible that they will open up reservations before the first batch is finished being delievered? I keep reading conflicting stories. "Reservations will open by the end of the summer." "Open back up in the Fall." So now I'm not sure what to believe. Anyone with any insight into the matter, please let me know.

Is this post yet another round about attempt to promote your video? I see you everywhere on the web making posts on almost any topic to promote your video.

Nissan says they are increasing production, starting in April, from 2000 Leafs a month to 4000 Leafs a month.

Nissan says they have taken 20,000 reservations.

Nissan says they conversion rate of reservations to orders is 40%

40% of 20,000 is 8000 or two months of production - April and May, delivered in May and June.

If you believe what Nissan has said, you could have a Leaf before Independence Day.

n.b. I don't speak for Nissan.

Even if you don't believe what Nissan has said, you could still be looking at a Leaf before the end of the summer.

@EVDRIVER no, I am genuinely interested in the Leaf quite a bit and have been coming to this forum long before the contest started. I actually don't think I'll have much of a chance of winning the contest as I just threw something together on the spot that has nothing to do with why I want a LEAF. It seems that others knew about the contest in advance and had much better stories. I was just trying to make people laugh because my reasons for wanting a Leaf are pretty standard. No emissions. No gas. Low maintenance. I'm a huge supporter of alternative energy and even helped to get some of the EV stations in Orlando setup.

Yes, you have probably seen me posting around the web about voting for my video but isn't that the point of the contest? In fact, I go out of my way to post on relevant news items that interest me about the Leaf and only ask for votes as part of my signture. The Nissan site says "this is an experiment in social media" and that's what I've been doing. Using every outlet I can find to try and get votes.

@Randy Thank you for editing my post. Next time I'll make sure to leave out my request however you could have just asked me to edit rather than embarrasing me :)
Didn't realize it was such a bad thing.

@LakeLeaf Thank you for actually answering my question. I'm about 50/50 split with trusting Nissan or the negative news reports. I'm keeping my hopes up for being able to reserve this spring and mat be get a Leaf by Xmas. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away at the contest ;)

LakeLeaf said:
40% of 20,000 is 8000 or two months of production - April and May, delivered in May and June.
Except that those 8000 vehicles are being distributed across (at least) three continents. On the other hand, the 20,000 (which are US only) includes many who won't be able to get a LEAF until the 2012 model year. Personally, I think you should at least double that time frame.

Ray

I think the best answer to the OP's question is that nobody knows, not even Nissan. Lakeleaf makes a good argument, but it really depends on how Nissan decides to manage the phase II and forgotten 36 part of the roll out.

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
I keep reading conflicting stories. "Reservations will open by the end of the summer." "Open back up in the Fall." So now I'm not sure what to believe. Anyone with any insight into the matter, please let me know.
As with many such things - people who are talking don't know & people who know won't talk. So, it is best to wait for official Nissan communication.

Don't make any plans based on any particular timing of Leaf delivery.

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
@EVDRIVER no, I am genuinely interested in the Leaf quite a bit and have been coming to this forum long before the contest started. I actually don't think I'll have much of a chance of winning the contest as I just threw something together on the spot that has nothing to do with why I want a LEAF. It seems that others knew about the contest in advance and had much better stories. I was just trying to make people laugh because my reasons for wanting a Leaf are pretty standard. No emissions. No gas. Low maintenance. I'm a huge supporter of alternative energy and even helped to get some of the EV stations in Orlando setup.

Yes, you have probably seen me posting around the web about voting for my video but isn't that the point of the contest? In fact, I go out of my way to post on relevant news items that interest me about the Leaf and only ask for votes as part of my signture. The Nissan site says "this is an experiment in social media" and that's what I've been doing. Using every outlet I can find to try and get votes.

@Randy Thank you for editing my post. Next time I'll make sure to leave out my request however you could have just asked me to edit rather than embarrasing me :)
Didn't realize it was such a bad thing.

@LakeLeaf Thank you for actually answering my question. I'm about 50/50 split with trusting Nissan or the negative news reports. I'm keeping my hopes up for being able to reserve this spring and mat be get a Leaf by Xmas. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away at the contest ;)

I know what your intentions are with the contest you just have a bit of a habit of posting it here often, that is why I ASKED. As far as your post being edited by Randy it should not have happened, no member posts should never be edited or deleted by a moderator unless it contains inappropriate language or content. I'm sorry your post was edited, that should not happen again.

"... no member posts ... edited ... moderator ..."
I agree with EV...

--------
The prevailing theme for the re-opening of Reservations is ... "we really do not know". There was a recent verbal rumor of an email on the subject, but not verified yet.

When they do open, will they "immediately" allow RAQ and Ordering?
Will they be for the same "2011" model?
Will the MSRP go up?
Will there be any additional Accessories or Options?

All unanswered questions, I believe.

@EVDRIVER My apologies. Thought it was an attack on me for being a forum spammer/troll etc. Will refrain from including going forward.

Thank you all for the info. Just wanted to see if there was any solid info I was missing. Nissan remaining so quiet during all these reports isn't comforting.
I don't think I've ever regretted taking my time to decide something as much as I do for missing that initial $99 deposit by 1 day.

keep the faith and the deposit on file. now matter how long it takes, its still a good idea and i dont see a better option coming up in the rear view mirror yet.

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
@EVDRIVER My apologies. Thought it was an attack on me for being a forum spammer/troll etc. Will refrain from including going forward.

Thank you all for the info. Just wanted to see if there was any solid info I was missing. Nissan remaining so quiet during all these reports isn't comforting.
I don't think I've ever regretted taking my time to decide something as much as I do for missing that initial $99 deposit by 1 day.
If that's the biggest regret you've *ever* had in your life, Hank, you've been extremely blessed!

I have a feeling that waiting until April 21st, or any other day in April or May of 2010, isn't going to amount to a whole heck of lot in the grand scheme of things. I waited 42 days (June 1st) to plunk down my $99 and I'll bet I get my LEAF within 30 days of the vast majority of those ahead of me, if all this talk about ramped up production and deliveries in March and April is true.

I suspect for many anxious reservationists it's a good thing that, when they were youngsters, Christmas wasn't on December 29th.

Glenn

Back