Am I the first?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowthom

Hi Leafers,
Well, as I predicted months ago some idiot stopped on the freeway. I stopped safely behind the row of cars but the guy behind me rear ended our Leaf. :cry: Were are seemingly OK so far but the leaf isn't so good. It is drivable just has a bent up butt.

DAMN IT!!!!!

No, there's been other rear end collisions. And when the power went out here in San Diego, and the traffic lights went out, one black LEAF got hit in the right front.

bowthom said:
Hi Leafers,
Well, as I predicted months ago some idiot stopped on the freeway. I stopped safely behind the row of cars but the guy behind me rear end our Leaf. :cry: Were are seemingly OK so far but the leaf isn't so good. It is drivable just has a bent up butt.

DAMN IT!!!!!

So sorry to hear it, Thom. I have some inkling of how you must be feeling, and it isn't pleasant. I got distracted while backing up to leave a parallel parking space the other day and almost backed into the front of the car behind me. Had it not been for my wife watching the rear monitor and calling out to me, I'd be dealing with a rear bumper repair, at least. I thanked my wife repeatedly, and it really reminded me to pay closer attention.

I hope the shop is able to bring your LEAF back to new condition.

I recall that if the car is to be painted, it has to go to a Nissan shop to disconnect the high voltage systems before it goes to the paint shop. Does yours have to have metal paint work, or is it just the bumper that needs replacing.

My wife keeps "bumbing" into things. No major damage but loss of paint and scraps on the side panels.

BTW has anyone ordered touch up paint. The dealer said he would have to order it for my ocean blue, it could take up to three weeks.

I would recommend ordering one BEFORE you need it.

The Paint Pens work very well and they have the Leaf colors in stock: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The important step in any touchup is to apply clear-coat after you touch up the paint itself...

Venk said:
BTW has anyone ordered touch up paint. The dealer said he would have to order it for my ocean blue, it could take up to three weeks.

Boomer23 said:
I recall that if the car is to be painted, it has to go to a Nissan shop to disconnect the high voltage systems before it goes to the paint shop. Does yours have to have metal paint work, or is it just the bumper that needs replacing.
The battery pack has to be removed if the car has to go in the oven. If they just need to paint a few panels, they may be able to remove them, bypassing the need to bake the whole car.

Not the first... Same thing happened to me a while back...
See this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thankfully all better now, and just a distant memory. Hopefully you don't have to get new carpool stickers.
(Mine hadn't arrived yet so I didn't have to reapply.)

Hello,
No estimate yet, but looking at it this morning the bumper cover and all the plastic attachment pieces have to be replaced. The lower lip of the rear hatch is rolled under and the metal flap underneath where a spare would normally go is also rolled under. The plastic belly pan was shattered laying all over the place at the scene. Couldn't see if the bumper shocks were OK but it looked like the floor pan isn't wrinkled. The aluminum bumper structure looked OK from the forward side so it's not bent but no way to see the rear surface where the impact was.

What a drag, I have tickets to the Revenge movie on Nov 4th. I guess I won't be driving it to the premier.

On Edit: Looking at another thread it looks like there are no pneumatic bumper impact absorbers so that must be why I couldn't see them. I'll take pics and post them tomorrow. Should be able to take pics during the entire process. lots to learn as she comes apart.

UPDATE:
Estimate is $2728.15
Bumper cover, license light, impact bar, energy absorbers, belly pan, stay brackets & clips.
Repair & paint rear hatch
Repair lower panel and seam seal.

Door gaps & open / close seems OK. No wrinkles underneath in the crumple zones.

As requested, here are some quick iPhone pics

Lower belly pan removed.
IMG_1359-1.jpg

In this pic you can see the hatch lip rolled under.
IMG_1358-1.jpg

IMG_1357-1.jpg

Bummer. Well, it just doesn't look like $2700, but body work doesn't come cheap, does it?

Sounds like all can be done without putting the car in the oven - that is great news.

Looks like Portland Leafs are accident prone! I had a collision on Friday on my way to work. Car in the right lane scooted over right in front of me, then braked! I slowed and then pulled to the right to avoid hitting them, and ran into another car that was there. Thought it was clear to the right of me, but they were just coming up past the blind spot and I had made an emergency maneuver to avoid rear-ending the car in front of me. Luckily everyone was OK!! Shaken up quite a bit, but not about the car. Yeah, it definintely needs a BIG BANDAID. Estimate was around $4300, lucky no other severe damage.
10-28-11_Accident.jpg

Hardest part is filling up with gas at the pump for the next couple weeks until it is out of the shop!! I want my NANOOK back :)

Hello Leafers,
My Leaf went into the body shop today and SURPRISE, I'm driving a new red Leaf (800 mi) rental car from Enterprise.

Don

Boomer23 said:
So sorry to hear it, Thom. I have some inkling of how you must be feeling, and it isn't pleasant. I got distracted while backing up to leave a parallel parking space the other day and almost backed into the front of the car behind me. Had it not been for my wife watching the rear monitor and calling out to me, I'd be dealing with a rear bumper repair, at least. I thanked my wife repeatedly, and it really reminded me to pay closer attention.

And: " And when the power went out here in San Diego, and the traffic lights went out, one black LEAF got hit in the right front. "

Wow, really?? Got distracted while leaving a parking space, and hitting another car because the traffic lights stopped working?? I realize I am being a bit of a sour East-Coaster, but you spacey California drivers really scare me sometimes. :shock: It must be the sun.

chex said:
Wow, really?? Got distracted while leaving a parking space, and hitting another car because the traffic lights stopped working?? I realize I am being a bit of a sour East-Coaster, but you spacey California drivers really scare me sometimes. :shock: It must be the sun.

They don't have auto accidents in your "sour East-Coast" ? What could possibly scare you; you stay there, and we'll smash up cars over here. You'll have nothing to be afraid of in you accident free world.

Back