Amended Settlement in Klee v. Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
sub3marathonman said:
And these annual battery checks would be required for those LEAF owners who qualify under the Nissan battery warranty, as I believe it is mentioned in the warranty. (I haven't read the warranty for newer than 2011 LEAFs.)
I seriously doubt that the requirement to get an annual battery check is a legal reason to deny a warranty claim in many U.S. states. Rather, I believe it is Nissan's responsibility to prove that any non-compliance was caused by the owner through abuse or a lack of proper maintenance if they want to deny a warranty claim.

They are unlikely to win in court, but it will be a major PITA to go through this process should they decide to deny warranty due to missing battery checks.

DaveinOlyWA said:
sales are lackluster because

1) EVs are too expensive

2) Nissan thought it would be a good idea to force consumers to pay more by removing the cheap option

I can guarantee that an S trim with a 30 Kwh battery would sell like hotcakes

I disagree on the 'cheap option'/battery pack size; I don't think a measly 6 kWh makes any difference.
I do agree with your #1 reason, but that combined with cheap gas is the real problem.

astrorob said:
dumb question but i can't seem to find anywhere in NRG's website where i can log in and see the charges i've done, or whether or not i've been charged money for a charge. if i understand the NCTC fine print i could be charged money if the car is plugged in for >30min or >1hr depending on the charger. how can you find out short of seeing a charge on your CC?

thanks

relative to this, i received the most worthless email from EVGo today:

Code:
Monthly Subscription Charge of Nissan Loyalty 90 $0.000

Charging Summary
Charge Duration	Total Charging
0 Min(s) @ $0.000/min = $0.000	$0.000

Grand Total
$0.000

Charging Details
Contract	 Session Start Time	Charger ID	Charger Type	Host	Address	Access Card	Charge Mins	Billed Mins	Charge Hrs	Billed Hrs

nothing below the "Charging Details" line.

yep, a completely empty database record showing 0 charges and no energy though i've done about 12 QCs so far. i guess what this means is that when someone uses a "settlement" NCTC card that EVGo does not track anything. would have been nice to know exactly how many kWh they think they delivered to me.

Stanton said:
JPWhite said:
sales are lackluster because

1) EVs are too expensive

2) Nissan thought it would be a good idea to force consumers to pay more by removing the cheap option

I can guarantee that an S trim with a 30 Kwh battery would sell like hotcakes

I disagree on the 'cheap option'/battery pack size; I don't think a measly 6 kWh makes any difference.
I do agree with your #1 reason, but that combined with cheap gas is the real problem.

since you are actually responding to my post and not JP's I will answer.

yeah, for some, 6 kwh is not enough to be significant but I have talked with 2 so far that went from 24 to 30 and they love it and I met them at a public charging station.

And I also think that the price of gas is not as big a factor as people think. Yes there was a small uptick in economy cars when gas was over $4 but that was a relatively small uptick and some of that I think can be attributed to what was then a relatively new hybrid market.

and both the 30 kwh people said they didn't want to pay the extra money for the SV trim but simply could not pass up the larger pack size

astrorob said:
astrorob said:
dumb question but i can't seem to find anywhere in NRG's website where i can log in and see the charges i've done, or whether or not i've been charged money for a charge. if i understand the NCTC fine print i could be charged money if the car is plugged in for >30min or >1hr depending on the charger. how can you find out short of seeing a charge on your CC?

thanks

Code:

Charging Summary

Grand Total
$0.000

Charging Details
Contract	 Session Start Time	Charger ID	Charger Type	Host	Address	Access Card	Charge Mins	Billed Mins	Charge Hrs	Billed Hrs

yep, a completely empty database record showing 0 charges and no energy though i've done about 12 QCs so far. i guess what this means is that when someone uses a "settlement" NCTC card that EVGo does not track anything. would have been nice to know exactly how many kWh they think they delivered to me.

NRG has not gotten up to speed yet on how to provide session or account info to users. They say they're working on it, but they've been saying that for a long time now. I checked with them not long ago and they swear they have an app in development, but no eta. Sigh. Meanwhile, all you'll get are these monthly statements.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
NRG has not gotten up to speed yet on how to provide session or account info to users. They say they're working on it, but they've been saying that for a long time now. I checked with them not long ago and they swear they have an app in development, but no eta. Sigh. Meanwhile, all you'll get are these monthly statements.

argh. thanks for the info. most of these charging companies (with the exception of coulomb) seem to be phoning it in bigtime.

astrorob said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

argh. thanks for the info. most of these charging companies (with the exception of coulomb) seem to be phoning it in bigtime.
NRG is trying to spin off/divest themselves of eVgo (and their solar subsidiary), as they're both money losers, so I wouldn't expect any improvements soon:
The new renewables unit, which the company is calling “GreenCo,” will hold NRG’s money-losing electric-vehicle charging business as well as its residential solar-installation business. Mr. Crane said the enterprise will receive up to $125 million in additional support from NRG but thereafter will have to sink or swim on its own and manage its cash outlays like other startups.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nrg-energy-unveils-moves-to-reduce-debt-cut-costs-1442587204

I registered and used my "settlement" EZ-Charge card in April and only on the Blink Network. Reading posts here, I knew L2 charging would not be free after 4/23. I received my first statement from Blink in my email this morning. They charged me for every L2 charge on their network even though none were over 1 hour, none were after 4/23, and they even charged me for 15 minute total use of a DCQC on their network.

I sent Blink a message and they say the particular chargers I happened to use are not part of the NCTC program. That's interesting, all of them accepted my EZ Charge card and all are still listed on the EZ-Charge website. How would one know which of the Blink chargers are "in" and which are "out"? I then contacted Nissan chat support and they stated it's not their problem. Well it kinda is Nissan's problem as the 90 days of free (limited) charging is actually part of a class action settlement. Anyway, heads up on using the Blink Network with your EZ-Charge card. Even if you stay within the rules of the agreement you may still get billed. This might be a legal first, the plaintiff wins the case and the settlement costs them!

ENIAC said:
I registered and used my "settlement" EZ-Charge card in April and only on the Blink Network. Reading posts here, I knew L2 charging would not be free after 4/23. I received my first statement from Blink in my email this morning. They charged me for every L2 charge on their network even though none were over 1 hour, none were after 4/23, and they even charged me for 15 minute total use of a DCQC on their network.

I sent Blink a message and they say the particular chargers I happened to use are not part of the NCTC program. That's interesting, all of them accepted my EZ Charge card and all are still listed on the EZ-Charge website. How would one know which of the Blink chargers are "in" and which are "out"? I then contacted Nissan chat support and they stated it's not their problem. Well it kinda is Nissan's problem as the 90 days of free (limited) charging is actually part of a class action settlement. Anyway, heads up on using the Blink Network with your EZ-Charge card. Even if you stay within the rules of the agreement you may still get billed. This might be a legal first, the plaintiff wins the case and the settlement costs them!

EZ Charge Card sent from settlement NEVER included L2 charging.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
astrorob said:
astrorob said:

thanks

Code:

Charging Summary

Grand Total
$0.000

Charging Details

gave up waiting on them LOOOOONG time ago...

With LEAF Spy logs, I simply take Volts times amps/3600 then multiply it by the difference in seconds (usually 3 or 4) between entries then sum the total to get the kwh in. not perfect but close enough i guess

GRA said:
astrorob said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

NRG is trying to spin off/divest themselves of eVgo (and their solar subsidiary), as they're both money losers, so I wouldn't expect any improvements soon:
The new renewables unit, which the company is calling “GreenCo,” will hold NRG’s money-losing electric-vehicle charging business as well as its residential solar-installation business. Mr. Crane said the enterprise will receive up to $125 million in additional support from NRG but thereafter will have to sink or swim on its own and manage its cash outlays like other startups.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nrg-energy-unveils-moves-to-reduce-debt-cut-costs-1442587204

These stories from September say it was supposed to happen in January but seems not. Monthly statements still NRG. Can't find any GreenCo updates.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ENIAC said:

When I asked Nissan support about the EZ-Charge card I received I was pointed to this website (see program details). The difference I was told is that the cards from the settlement were for only 90 from the time they were activated.
http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/charging/no-charge-to-charge/

Blink also charged me for use on their DCQC by the way,

ENIAC said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ENIAC said:

When I asked Nissan support about the EZ-Charge card I received I was pointed to this website (see program details). The difference I was told is that the cards from the settlement were for only 90 from the time they were activated.
http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/charging/no-charge-to-charge/

yep they charge me too if I exceed 30 mins. unlike NRG, Blinks will run until you are full. I have to say I like NRG's automatic shutoff after 30 mins.

the other day, I was at one and the guy who was charging seemed reluctant to give up the fast charger when it shut off. He immediately plugged in the L2 as I was hooking the fast charger to my LEAF... :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
ENIAC said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

yep they charge me too if I exceed 30 mins. unlike NRG, Blinks will run until you are full.

I believe you're missing my point. I didn't exceed 30 minutes. In fact I only used the Blink DCQC a total of 15 minutes and it was the only time I used the DCQC for more than a week yet they still billed me for use.

You must have used a Blink DCQC that was not part of the NCTC program. You can us filters in Plug Share to find charging stations that are part of the NCTC program.

Back on topic--it is too bad the plaintif attorneys did not negotiate a better settlement for the class members that have no chance of getting a new battery before 60,000 miles or 5 years.

Gerry

DNAinaGoodWay said:
GRA said:
astrorob said:

These stories from September say it was supposed to happen in January but seems not. Monthly statements still NRG. Can't find any GreenCo updates.
Here we go, from today via GCR:
ChargePoint, EVgo electric-car charging networks get more investment
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103796_chargepoint-evgo-electric-car-charging-networks-get-more-investment

. . . Separately, the EVgo charging network announced today that it had secured a significant investment from Vision Ridge Partners. The deal effectively separates EVgo from utility company NRG, which has owned and operated it until now. Upon closing, EVgo will become a standalone company, with its own board of directors. Along with continued funding from former parent company NRG, EVgo says it now has an additional $100 million at its disposal to expand charging infrastructure. . . .

A bit of an old topic, but I was wondering if the Klee settlement said anything specific about going over the 5 year, 60K warranty coverage while waiting for the replacement battery, which of course would have been verified during the warranty coverage peroid.

I'm pretty sure it would have happened to somebody by now, but on the other hand, I want to make sure it doesn't happen to me, :oops:

I'll be at 59980 or so when I have the warranty verification. I've scheduled the appointment for tomorrow. It is just a question if that 8th capacity square will drop today. :eek:

Back